LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Nice job! Looks to be a nice size, too. Gonna insulate it? Heat?

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
This is looking pretty good. You are going to have a really nice shop space in which to work when you are done.

Keep us posted on the progress. It is fun to watch a shop's evolution.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the shop will be fully insulated and I shall have an air/conditioner heater and a wood stove so that ii can be used all year long.
The air compressor and dust collector will installed outside for noise and dust isolation

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Your concrete slab looks like it is 8" thick, am I imagining that? Or do you have access to free concrete supply?

I don't think I have ever seen walls being framed and raised in this area without sheathing (keeps them square and you eliminate the lateral bracing), is that common in your area?

So many possibilities in a brand new building!
You could run your Dust Collection piping in the attic space, and keep your ceilings full height…

All the best!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The slab is 6.00" thick.
I am going to lay all the dust collection piping and the wire to connect the machines on the floor and then I shall build a floor on the top of it with 3/4 tongue and grove plywood on the top of everything.
Everything will be removable, just in case..

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If you are planning on having a lathe, I'd stick with the concrete. It will vibrate even the best of plywood. My thickness sander vibrates as well. I'd give a lot for a concrete floor. I speak from experience. My 2 cents.
Three cheers for the heat and AC. Was just out in my shop with the AC on. Outside temp: 89.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Bert,
Not questioning the construction in any way, I framed in residential construction for 15 years, just hadn't seen it before!

Those are serious anchor braces and plates, I like it!

Since my shop in in the loft of our barn, my DC is run under the floor as well, and it is great.

Regarding the lathe comment: After a couple of lag bolts fastening it down, my lathe runs fine on the plywood floor. I do have chunks of 3/4" rubber matting under each of my machines to lessen vibration.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would advise against running everything under floor as some stationary machines seem to pick up more vibration on wood than on concrete plus removing all of the wiring, d/c, and flooring might pose you a lot more trouble and expense than it is worth. Use strapping to support D/C piping and if you must run 220 to your tablesaw run it from a 1/2 - 3/4 metal conduit across the floor as long as it doesn't pose a tripping hazard and if it does building a small ramp is not a big challenge. I help people layout wood working shops for efficiency, Please feel free to PM me if you need help

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wish I could get approved to thow up a free standing so close to my neighbors, but until we move out a bit further it would be hell to convincing the city that moving from a 10×8 garden shed to something more substantial, wouldn't be a burden on them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.