LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

· Registered
1,410 Posts
A Proud Moment

So, No more messin' around! Its time to cut the hole!

With my template all biscuited and glued up, I shaved off the other half of the biscuits and sanded everything flat. With a little sanding and shaving off the inside I got the router plate to fit perfectly inside. So I decided to use my fabricated router plate template to make a one-piece template. This way I could also test the accuracy of it.

So I sandwiched together the template, one solid piece of plywood which would be the test piece as well as the final template, and a scrap for underneath. Then I made the cut with my template router bit:

Here is the result: A perfect template.

A perfect fit!

I used carpet tape to stick it to the table top:

I then routed the inner "shelf" which the plate will sit on:

And then routed out the inner part, which cut the whole:

Dropped the plate in… perfect fit… A proud moment!

Used my little dial indicator jig to make sure it was flat:

And the rest of these photos are just to show off:

You may have seen this on my projects page (throat insert holder):

Thanks for staying tuned. It has been fun to build and I had a good time documenting and sharing the journey. But I am really glad this project is done. I still have a few small details to add. I want to oil it, it needs some ventilation, and I need to make a router bit holder for the drawers. But for now this is pretty much a wrap. I am looking forward to getting back to some real projects.
Nice cabinet! Did you have a reason for mounting the table "sideways"? And could you post a better picture of the inside dust collector chamber. I am building a router cabinet right now and am looking for ideas.

· Registered
939 Posts
A Proud Moment

With my template all biscuited and glued up, I shaved off the other half of the biscuits and sanded everything flat. With a little sanding and shaving off the inside I got the router plate to fit perfectly inside. So I decided to use my fabricated router plate template to make a one-piece template. This way I could also test the accuracy of it.

So I sandwiched together the template, one solid piece of plywood which would be the test piece as well as the final template, and a scrap for underneath. Then I made the cut with my template router bit:

A perfect fit!

Thanks for staying tuned. It has been fun to build and I had a good time documenting and sharing the journey. But I am really glad this project is done. I still have a few small details to add. I want to oil it, it needs some ventilation, and I need to make a router bit holder for the drawers. But for now this is pretty much a wrap. I am looking forward to getting back to some real projects.
Very nice Blake. I bet you had a few drops of sweat on your forehead while you were getting ready to cut that hole. This has been a very interesting blog, thanks for sharing it with us. You have one fine router table now and that fence and plate are top notch. Nice job.

· Registered
2,000 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

That is a sweet router table. I have allot respect for woodworkers that take as much pride in building a shop cabinet as they do a fine piece of furniture for someones living room. It is good looking, and set up large with that sick fence and router lift. Routing that openening is definatley a nail biter, but you pulled it off perfectly. Great job.

· Registered
187 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Ya I'd be showing it off too. That's a smokin' table!

· Registered
1,043 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Atta Boy!

· Registered
2,185 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Yea Blake. Good job and thanks for sharing. I am jealous. (I still think you should try that iron on veneer tape on the ply edges on your drawers, but hey…. )

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I have a lot of people asking me why it is shaped the way it is. This design is known as an "offset" design and it is based on Incra's revolutionary router table fence positioner system. In my opinion this is the best, most accurate, most versatile fence system available. (Also the most expensive.) If you are unfamiliar with it check out my blog "What do you Thinkra about Incra" and watch the video demonstrations on the Incra website. It has changed the way I do woodworking.

I think this new router table and Incra fence set-up will be the most significant addition to my shop since the table saw. I plan to rely on it a lot.

· Registered
255 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Excellent job Blake. I am in the process of retrofitting my router table to work better with my Incra positioner. Great table & great tool!

· Registered
1,043 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Damn son, you sure come up with some great ideas! Like next time I build something out of square, I'll just say it's a new "offset design" and blame it on Incra! Great one! LMAO!

· Registered
19 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Great work!

· Registered
46 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

glad I found your project. It's a huge help as I await the arrival of my incra plate. Nice cabinet and everything looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing your work.

· Registered
19,714 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

A job well done and a very useful tool

· Registered
46 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Quick question. What does the cam lock tighten to in the corner. My plate came with the screw for the corner but how does it lock the plate? Thanks for any info.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

It just pushes against the side but on mine it doesn't do much because the side is just particle board and it lost the ability to grab long ago. Its not at all critical anyway.

· Registered
46 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Thanks Blake. Great job on the table.

· Registered
1,487 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

Very nice set up, I love the idea you had with the insert template.

· Registered
16 Posts
A Proud Moment

A perfect fit!

thats a very nice set up. would love to have that my self there is some money there

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.