LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The journey begins

Due to the kindness of a fellow LumberJock (Karson), I am about to dive into an area of woodworking that I had no intention of diving into…VENEERING! With Karson's guidance I purchased these:

A veneer saw, three hole tape and a wooden roller. With his help and others I plan to build a chess board for my son. Well, to veneer one needs veneer, right? Karson, being the super kind and pushy guy that he is said that he would supply me with some veneer, so that I wouldn't be able to come up with anymore excuses not to try veneering. When the package arrived, I was overwelmed to say the least. My son and wife almost had to pick me up off of the floor. Well enough of the suspense…check this out.

Isn't that some beautiful stuff? Now, I'm more nervous than ever to cut this great looking veneer. Well, I have a few projects to get out of the way, but will continue this journey as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The journey begins

Due to the kindness of a fellow LumberJock (Karson), I am about to dive into an area of woodworking that I had no intention of diving into…VENEERING! With Karson's guidance I purchased these:

A veneer saw, three hole tape and a wooden roller. With his help and others I plan to build a chess board for my son. Well, to veneer one needs veneer, right? Karson, being the super kind and pushy guy that he is said that he would supply me with some veneer, so that I wouldn't be able to come up with anymore excuses not to try veneering. When the package arrived, I was overwelmed to say the least. My son and wife almost had to pick me up off of the floor. Well enough of the suspense…check this out.

Isn't that some beautiful stuff? Now, I'm more nervous than ever to cut this great looking veneer. Well, I have a few projects to get out of the way, but will continue this journey as soon as possible.
Good luck on your journey, Mark. I know what you mean by "Now, I'm more nervous than ever…". I just hate messing up beautiful wood. When you are at the beginning of a journey, you have no idea what the road ahead is, how hard it will be to travel and whether you will arrive at the desired location. So no wonder you are nervous, It's only natural.

Travel easy!

Karson, you are a good man!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The journey begins

I will be stepping lightly and carefully, for sure. Thanks, Don for understanding.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
The journey begins

how exciting-a new learning curve

that Karson-what a man!!!

re: nervous; I originally chose willow because it was just wood for bonfires and I wouldn't care if I ruined it… and then I saw it… and cutting each piece became "panic mode". I didn't want to waste a single inch. And that's just "plain willow" off the woodpile. I can only imagine your trepidation re: this beautiful selection of veneer that you received.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The journey begins

I tout Paul Scurch all the time.
He has the most reasonably priced veneer for small projects.

www.schurchwoodwork.com

He has them in 100 foot collections of 20-25 different species. Just plain veneering or marquetry.

DOGS I found a supplier in LIttleton CO that has a great selection. I don't remember the URL I just remember that its 3 miles from where my brother lives. www.certainlywood has a great selection. I'd spoken with the folks there while I was at IWF. They have a great quantity discount.

While the kits available thru Rockler and Highland Woodworking are convenient they are extremely pricey per sq ft.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
The journey begins

Don't wory about screwing it up. If you mess it all up you are not out any money. LOL

There is some veneer there for practising on and could make a few box tops like "Don, I just love small boxes" makes.

You can do some seaming, some book mtching. When I first tried veneering, I had no one around and not even any books. Just glued up a box and then handfitted veneer around on the edges.

Kind of like John Nixon did here

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The journey begins

Nice looking variety. Get to it Os….no excuses now!

Someday I'll try my hand but it won't be for a long time. Maybe a snowy winter project when I can't work outside.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The journey begins

Thanks for the video link, Karson. I'm accumulating quite a collection in my favorites. If I can get my dovetail jig setup right, I'll make one of those small boxes that everyone loves and try my hand at veneering it. ;^)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The journey begins

One other thing - that type of veneer saw will not work for left handed folks.
Us lefties need the French type of veneer saw.

I've had good luck with this type of veneeer saw.

http://www.mikestools.com/847-4000-Traditional-French-Veneer-Saw.aspx

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
The journey begins

that's good to know!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The next step in my journey.

Well, cutting veneer has been a challenge for me. No matter what I've tried, I haven't found a way to do it and get a nice fit. I've tried using the veneering saw, a knife and even sissors. The sissors worked suprisingly well during some test cuts on burl, but not so well on straighter grained samples. I tried using a board for a straight edge and tried cutting with my miter saw by sandwiching a piece between two pieces of plywood. This worked, o.k., but not good enough. I found that for me, my 12" fast square was the best guide for my veneering saw.

Here is a shot of my cut veneer as I prepare to begin the task of taping with painter's tape:

I decided to make the chest board out of 1/2" MDF. The process of taping the strips was tedious and a bit nerve racking, especially with the difficulty I had getting the seams to match up. I tried numbering the strips as I cut them, but found that didn't work too well. This is what my taping job looked like after about 30 minutes:

This is what it looked like after trimming the excess off and taping all of the joints: Oops, I got ahead of myself…this picture shows the taping after reversing every other one:

Here's a view of the other side…not bad, right?

I would have rathered not have seams in the middle of a couple of the squares, but it is a good learning experience that will teach me how to deal with this in the future. Here is a look at the show side of the checker board: Great looking veneer…thanks again, Karson!

I then applied the three hole tape on the show side of the checker board and this is what it looks like, now:

My next job is to work on the veneer that will border the checker board and make a press that will help me clamp the veneer to the substrate after applying Titebond II. I kind of wanted to do the coating of glue on both and then ironing over it to reactivate the glue, but I will have to do some test pieces of both before trying it on this large project.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Well, cutting veneer has been a challenge for me. No matter what I've tried, I haven't found a way to do it and get a nice fit. I've tried using the veneering saw, a knife and even sissors. The sissors worked suprisingly well during some test cuts on burl, but not so well on straighter grained samples. I tried using a board for a straight edge and tried cutting with my miter saw by sandwiching a piece between two pieces of plywood. This worked, o.k., but not good enough. I found that for me, my 12" fast square was the best guide for my veneering saw.

Here is a shot of my cut veneer as I prepare to begin the task of taping with painter's tape:

I decided to make the chest board out of 1/2" MDF. The process of taping the strips was tedious and a bit nerve racking, especially with the difficulty I had getting the seams to match up. I tried numbering the strips as I cut them, but found that didn't work too well. This is what my taping job looked like after about 30 minutes:

This is what it looked like after trimming the excess off and taping all of the joints: Oops, I got ahead of myself…this picture shows the taping after reversing every other one:

I would have rathered not have seams in the middle of a couple of the squares, but it is a good learning experience that will teach me how to deal with this in the future. Here is a look at the show side of the checker board: Great looking veneer…thanks again, Karson!

I then applied the three hole tape on the show side of the checker board and this is what it looks like, now:

My next job is to work on the veneer that will border the checker board and make a press that will help me clamp the veneer to the substrate after applying Titebond II. I kind of wanted to do the coating of glue on both and then ironing over it to reactivate the glue, but I will have to do some test pieces of both before trying it on this large project.
Way to go!

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

Great Job Mark.

I sent you that great looking veneer. I want it back, after you glue it all up of course. LOL

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

In a previous response I gave a link to a French veneer saw. You might try that over the saw you have.

Then you might want to make three passes on each cut -
The first will score the veneer where you want it cut, the second will follow in that score and increase the depth and the third will separate the piece. With no real pressure on the saw it follows the edge more easily.

Also, make sure that the teeth on the saw are sharp and that you rock the saw from back to front as you make your cut. Sort of an ergonomic move.

It is good that you emphasize the glue side and the show side.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

I'm not even going to begin to start veneering for a while yet. I love following the progress and the process though. Nice job Os! What's the 3 hole tape for?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Karson, I'll get it to you, but it is in smaller pieces, now. LOL.

Sawdust2, I am making several lite cuts as you have suggested. My cuts just don't match up to well. :^(

Bob, from what I read…the three hole tape is the tape you put on the show side before gluing and the purpose for the three holes is that the center hole allows you to see the seam. It is suppose to shrink once it dries, thus pulling the seam tighter. After application of the three hole tape you must remove the painter's tape before glue down. One instructer said that he will use the painter's tape on the show side, if he has a veneer that has holes in it to prevent the glue from sqeezing through. Once the glue dries it can be removed easily. The three hole tape needs two to three wettings before it can be removed.

·
Registered
246 Posts

These sites have some videos on cutting and jointing veneer. (In case you haven't seen them) Hope this helps.

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/
http://furnitology.blogspot.com/index.html

Is Karson dealing veneer?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

Thanks, Mark, a journey is never meaningful unless it provides some challenges. I'm with you on this one, Mate!

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

bravo for being brave enough to take the plunge!

Learning curves: gotta love them. Sometimes, though, you just can't love them until they are over! ha.

Well done. It looks beautiful You must be very proud of your accomplishment.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts

Karson is more of a pusher of veneer….lol

I belive he sent OS some to play with.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.