LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the design stage, of building a Shaker Style Chest of Drawers.

I am planning on doing a hand tool only Shaker Style Chest of Drawers, I am going to use oak for the outside case, and I am going to use wooden drawer runners. I aint sure If I am going to use oak for drawer sides. or use a cheaper wood like poplar or aspen. more ifo coming soon as I work out the bugs.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

I am planning on doing a hand tool only Shaker Style Chest of Drawers, I am going to use oak for the outside case, and I am going to use wooden drawer runners. I aint sure If I am going to use oak for drawer sides. or use a cheaper wood like poplar or aspen. more ifo coming soon as I work out the bugs.
Charles,

It sounds as if you have a good plan and have mentally committed to the project. These are the two initial hurdles that need to be dealt with when starting any project. I will be interested in seeing updates as you move further into the project.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

sounds like a great project, I've always wanted to try a shaker style chest of drawers and it will be cool seeing this one some together.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts

Will poplar be too soft for runners? I do not know too much about the practical uses of wood (yet :) ) but an I amm the process of designing a coffee table for our living room and have been thinking of what wood to use internally as well. Looking forward to posts as your project progresses.

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I would use a harder wood like oak or maple.

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chest of Drawers update.

Today was a good day I got some work done on my mom chest of drawers, I cut all the peices for the top and sides, I got the sides gule up. Now I got to work on the drawer runners and gule up the top.

I cheated a little bit I used my benchtop table saw and my circular saw. the side panels needs some flatening with my hand planes.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

Today was a good day I got some work done on my mom chest of drawers, I cut all the peices for the top and sides, I got the sides gule up. Now I got to work on the drawer runners and gule up the top.

I cheated a little bit I used my benchtop table saw and my circular saw. the side panels needs some flatening with my hand planes.
It is great to follow your project.
I find no shame in using power tools.
I have to ask, are you using the right setting on your camera or is there something wrong with the focus?

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chest of Drawers update.

I got to ask my dad about that, I think he shook the camera. :)

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

No caffeine before picture taking.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

Are you using a plan from a book or did you make this up?

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chest of Drawers update.

I am not using a book, I made my own plan from a dresser picture I saw online.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

So you're designing and building, that is impressive!

That is more challenging than just following a plan. You will learn a lot pretty quickly by doing this.

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chest of Drawers update.

Thanks Todd, I am learning a lot.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

You do have a lot of friends here to help climb the learning curve faster.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

great job beginningwoodworker, i was reading the comments and saw that this is your own plan. i think its great to use your own plan over the ones you get in books because you can tweak it for your needs. i can't wait too see the end result!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

Charles,

This is a nice job so far. It is difficult to see the details with the camera but I can see enough to tell what is going on.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Chest of Drawers update.

Nice job so far… To echo previous comments I think it's quite impressive that you have tackled design as well. Not everyone does.

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the basic case of the dresser!

Here is a update of mom's Shaker Style Dresser with pic, I got the top, sides and bottom runner glue up. I use pocket screws with the bottom runner so it will have added strength. Now I have a basic case to work from now. Now I have to build the rest of the runners and add a plywood back. But I aint sure what size plywood to use for the back.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Here is a update of mom's Shaker Style Dresser with pic, I got the top, sides and bottom runner glue up. I use pocket screws with the bottom runner so it will have added strength. Now I have a basic case to work from now. Now I have to build the rest of the runners and add a plywood back. But I aint sure what size plywood to use for the back.

great job. i would suggest a 1/4" ply for the back. it will make it rigid enough but it won't add the weight that a 3/4" or half inch ply would. great job and keep up the great work.

13,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks teenagewoodworker, I am really happy with how this project is coming alone.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.