LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bench Construction Begins

Up until a few weeks ago I have been using a thrown together bench made of some 2×4s and a sheet of plywood. I finally decided that I should have a proper bench if I am going to be serious about woodworking. I have a huge shop that I am finally getting setup and decided as my first project that I would build a bench. It is a very basic bench that is 6.5 feet long and about 25 inches deep. What I really like about is that it does not use any metal fasteners at all. It is completely built using glue and wooden joinery and mostly hand tools. So far I have glued up all of my parts except for the top. I have cut the through mortises in each of the legs and have started making the tenons so that I can assemble the base. I can't wait to complete it and use it for the first time. I will post some pictures of my progress soon.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Up until a few weeks ago I have been using a thrown together bench made of some 2×4s and a sheet of plywood. I finally decided that I should have a proper bench if I am going to be serious about woodworking. I have a huge shop that I am finally getting setup and decided as my first project that I would build a bench. It is a very basic bench that is 6.5 feet long and about 25 inches deep. What I really like about is that it does not use any metal fasteners at all. It is completely built using glue and wooden joinery and mostly hand tools. So far I have glued up all of my parts except for the top. I have cut the through mortises in each of the legs and have started making the tenons so that I can assemble the base. I can't wait to complete it and use it for the first time. I will post some pictures of my progress soon.
Sounds like you are having fun!! A bench is a wonderful project to start a shop with. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the construction.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts

hey scott, every time i see you your sittin in that chair, do you ever do anything…...lol…...hey ike and berry looking forward to your bench…..im having some stirrings in that direction myself…but ive got a desk ive got to do before that…..so have fun with your project…..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Base is finished

i finally finished the assembly and glue up of the base for my cabinet makers bench. I still have a few dowel pins to put in the legs, but the main glue up and assembly is done. Now I get to start on the top. Here are some pics of the bench so far.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Base is finished

i finally finished the assembly and glue up of the base for my cabinet makers bench. I still have a few dowel pins to put in the legs, but the main glue up and assembly is done. Now I get to start on the top. Here are some pics of the bench so far.
looks very beefy and stout. did you design the bench yourself? or are you following a plan/other bench?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The top is done and attached to the base

I finally got the top to my new bench glued up and attached to the base. I ended up using dowel pegs to attach the top to the base. Doing this enables me to remove the top if I need to in the future, but holds the top to the base securely while I am using it. Take a look at the pictures to get a better look. I modified plans that I found to build this. The original plans are Bob and Dave's Good, Fast, and Cheap Bench. You can find them if you Google the description. 90% of this bench was made with hand tools and it does not use any metal fasteners to attach the parts of the bench itself. This was a great project to get my shop going. All I have left to do is plane the top flat, seal the bench top, make some bench dogs, and put the vices on.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
The top is done and attached to the base

I finally got the top to my new bench glued up and attached to the base. I ended up using dowel pegs to attach the top to the base. Doing this enables me to remove the top if I need to in the future, but holds the top to the base securely while I am using it. Take a look at the pictures to get a better look. I modified plans that I found to build this. The original plans are Bob and Dave's Good, Fast, and Cheap Bench. You can find them if you Google the description. 90% of this bench was made with hand tools and it does not use any metal fasteners to attach the parts of the bench itself. This was a great project to get my shop going. All I have left to do is plane the top flat, seal the bench top, make some bench dogs, and put the vices on.
Sounds good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.