LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
3,675 Posts
Got about 3 paragraphs into a long rant and just changed my mind and deleted them. I have decided that you are all correct in your blogs, replies and PMs. I told a kid that wants to be a carpenter that he needed to build a 2 holer. Damn what a son-of-a-bitch I am. You all go ahead and encourage Jacob to quit school and go to work as a carpentar, this world will always need uneducated ditch diggers. Jacob, it's alright sunshine, one of these days you will run this site. That said, I will leave it to the Attaboys and Saints to carry on.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Just shows how many different personalities are here on LJ's. I don't think that telling a kid to stay in school is unjust…guess we all have our on days and our off days.

·
Registered
998 Posts
this is the part of the conversation where Jei pretends he knows what a 2 holer is so I'll just nod quietly and agree

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Maybe I missed something in Jacobs first post-

I am 15 in year 10 i want to be a carpentar when i leave at the end of this year what do u think would be a good idea to make in my wood work class this year as my big project to impres the people i want to get a job with? Please send anything you can that you might think will help.

I see no reference to where he is quitting school to become an uneducated drain on society. There may be countless reasons for his "leaving at the end of this year". Moving? Changing curriculums? An entirely different school system with which we may be familiar? Religious beliefs? I am sure we could think of a few more.

The point is, as has been pointed out before, Jacob is here asking for help and a public, holier-than-thou attitude type response clearly is unwarranted.

Lew

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
i joined the carpenters union while i was in grade 11 through a co-op class then as an apprentice. i finished my high school and still worked. get school done first is what i say. kudos to you papadan i support ya but we don't know if hes droppin school or what not. I'm behind you 100% that we need educated carpenters who are willing to learn and be a role model to the next generation so if you're reading this jacob, stay in school, study carpentry and take it up at home until you get apprenticed.

·
In Loving Memory
17,103 Posts
I know everyone meant well with their comments in spite of some harshness, but I do think the boy will be more likely to listen to our advice in the future if we show him some kindness now and don't dismiss his ambitions out of hand or be sarcastic about his grammar or spelling skills. Many of us have walked the hard road, but we found friends along the way who helped us and didn't judge us. If his plans are unrealistic he will find out soon enough and find other ways to realize his dreams.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Just think, Bill Gates did not finish college, neither did Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Airways. If he has a good head on his shoulders he will compensate. That said, Education always makes the road in life a lot easier. Let's just hope he stays single until he gets a bit more maturity and sees first hand the benifit of an education. Hopefully he will learn before he winds up with a wife and 8 kids lined up at the table.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can't believe you guys don't know what a two holer Is. we used to have one, the neighbor does have one, Its grandfathered as they are now banned!

And yes I would advise Jacob to continue his education if possible. Not knowing were he is from its certinaly difficult to advise, but as some pretty smart guy (Sir Francis Bacon) said one time "Knowledge is power". If circumstances won't allow you to continue school full time, look for evening classes if they are available.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Dan,
I could post "I think your an a**hole", or I could post "I think you may not be appropriate".
Both really mean the same thing, the first is destructive, the second is constructive.
I think that this may be what people are trying to say. Not that you are wrong or insensitive, but that it could have been worded in such a way that it would have been constructive.
It's really all in HOW you say it.

I enjoy reading your posts, I think you have a great wit, and I get laughing so hard sometimes. Please keep the humor, don't let this episode block the positive contributions you have made and will make.

Lisa

·
In Loving Memory
17,103 Posts
On the farm in Minnesota we had two of everything. The old axe and the new axe, and more to the point the old outhouse, a one holer and the new outhouse a two holer. We all used the new one (not at the same time of course), but as a 5 year old I was curious about the old one. So one day I went out there and opened the door and lo and behold, a good sized snake of some kind or another. Poisonous I'm sure since we had just about everything slithering across the front lawn from time to time. Right then and there I made a decision that saved my life and eventually led to my present career of making woodworking mistakes, I decided to only use the two holer from then on. Besides, that's where the Sears and Roebuck catalog was with all those entertaining pictures of just about everything under the sun.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have to agree with you Dan, that thread with the bitching and a guy saying he would ban folks (if he could) for comments like that I thought was way over the top. You have to admit the wannabe police around here can sometimes be down right amusing. I still grin over the guy that took so much offense (and issued threats) to my opinion of that child molester Michael Jackson kicking the bucket. Some folks seem to take this website way to seriously. If we were making comments face to face instead of from behind monitors I think people would be laughing or just ignoring comments that seem to upset them online. Oh well, it's just another day on the Internet. I get a lot more good from this website then bad. Still chuckling here.

ATTA BOY!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.