LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I want to build a music stand but don't know what might be considered standard dimensions of height (I would guess the travel should be between a sitting and standing position). Also, what might be a typical size for the platform that holds the book or music? I have no turning capabilities, so will make a square style pedistal. I've kept various photos of completed music stands on this forum, so have a design in mind, but thought I might work on my SketchUp skills while I'm at it…hence the desire for some dimension info. Thanks so much, as always.

Don

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
Sheet music is generally on 8 1/2×11 paper, so a stand should be big enough to hold an open booklet, roughly 18" wide x 12" high, or slightly smaller. There should be a ledge at the bottom about 1" or so wide to hold the music. Travel would be just as you said.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
We have a music stand laying on the front porch that my wife dragged home from who knows where. But the thing is adjustable, so I won't be much help unless you want to know minimum height versus maximum height.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all; I think I have enough to get the rough dimensions and height travel. I'm going over to SketchUp now and plow through that for awhile. I'm going to try to do something similar to what Eiji has posted; I won't get close to his finished product, but will make one that should have some utility in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.