LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
I have a slab of pecan about 10" square and just over 2" thick. I'd like to try a turn a shallow bowl ( a plate if you will) but I dont have a usable chuck and I dont want to put screw holes in the bottom of it. I remember seeing where some folks use a sheet of paper in between the block of wood to be turned and the piece you screw the face plate to. (YES, I HAVE tried the search and cant seem to find it.)
My questions are… What kind of paper? Can I use the regular plain white copy paper that I use in my printer? What about lined school paper? Or should it be that heavy brown paper like grocery bags USED to be made of?
Also, can I just use the Titebond II ? And do I put glue on both sides of the paper? Or will it seep from one side to the other when I clamp it together?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have used brown paper from grocery bags or a long strip that home centers sell in the paint department. I use tight bond 3 glue on both sides as it is my regular glue.

I can't see why other papers and glues would not work as well.

be careful separating the pieces.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
You want paper thick enough that will not let glue seep through thus making one glue joint. Wife still gets brown grocery bags when she goes shopping. This time of year in un-heated shop give glue longer to dry than just an hour or two.

You can also use CA glue & waste block, just don't get a catch!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have done it with printer paper and tightbond 2. I have also had a big bowl come loose with a small catch.
Anymore I just glue a waste block with no paper and part it off most of the way and finish with a handsaw.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I don't use the paper either.. just glue the wood faceplate to the bottom of the stock and have at it. Never had one come loose yet.

Cheers,
Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.