LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sometimes I think it is more about tools than actually making something.
But wait…this IS making something.
Anyway, I have more supplies on the way for making some pens so I thought I'd need these.
I actually used the press to push the other tool together.

Wood Office ruler Tool Wood stain Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Wow, great minds must think alike!!

Very similar to my home made pen press. I add a couple of pieces of cutting board plastic to the pressure points to act as cushions.

Lew

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somewhere, I have some of those door bumpers left over. I was going to use those but maybe that would be too soft. I also have some UHMW plastic.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, I discovered that water based 3M contact cement will effectively adhere UHMW plastic to wood,
Rough up the surface of the plastic with some 320 sandpaper first.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Good on ya for makin' your own stuff. I'm convinced that I could spend $100,000 to become a good woodworker. That way I could measure to the nearest .0000", sand to a 12,000 grit surface, buy wood dried to 2%, have a $7,000 TS, a $5,000 lathe with appropriate tooling….........on and on. People would flock to my weekly sales.
Oh well….....I can dream can't I?
I wonder how the old masters made it without all the digital stuff. I'll go into the house to see if our antiques have fallen apart.
I looked. They didn't!
Bill
Dang! I feel better now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the issues with me is that it would not keep my interest to take as long on a single piece as it took back then. I suppose they got faster as they gained experience.
I also know that if you are in a hurry to turn something on a lathe, you had best just abandon the idea.
Slow and small bites is the name of that game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.