LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plans

I'm making a quilt rack for my mother. She didn't want anything specif other than a wall mounted shelf with room to hang and display 2 quilts, so I just found some projects others have made and will be adding my own style. Hopefully she will like it.

This is a very basic project, but I've wanted to learn more about how to use SketchUp, so I took the time to draw up some plans.

I haven't decided if I'll be using pine or oak. If it turns out well, I might just make one of each.

More next time when I've had a chance to mill the wood.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Plans

I'm making a quilt rack for my mother. She didn't want anything specif other than a wall mounted shelf with room to hang and display 2 quilts, so I just found some projects others have made and will be adding my own style. Hopefully she will like it.

This is a very basic project, but I've wanted to learn more about how to use SketchUp, so I took the time to draw up some plans.

I haven't decided if I'll be using pine or oak. If it turns out well, I might just make one of each.

Since pine is easier to work with, why don't you try your prototype using that first? The second one in oak will be easier to make and sturdier, as a large quilt could be heavy. You can also redesign or embellish it once you get your technique down.

Will it be a folding rack? Something sturdy that locks in place and can fold away would be ideal to me. Looking foward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plans

That's what I was thinking of MMH. Prototype in pine, and final in oak, or maybe maple. As to folding, it will be a wall mounted unit to show off a couple of quilts from family and friends.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Plans

Don't know if you'd seen this one or not, but I borrowed the idea too, makes a great rack, people seem to enjoy it.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/17989

·
Registered
267 Posts
Plans

I need to make a new one for my ma as well. Thanks for putting the plans up to look at. Can't wait to check out the finished project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plans

Knot, I did see that one and I'm going for something similar, but a little different. I do like that one though and may make another one with some of those details later. We'll see how this one turns out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Test Piece

Since I haven't done much woodwork since high school other than Pinewood Derby and making pens, I decided to make a test piece. I picked up some pine and after the boards were planed, I did the basic layout. I still have a lot of work to do, but I have the pieces cut out.

I was debating how to do the jointery, but I decided to try pocket screws and glue. Maybe I'll get a couple of pics when I get the holes drilled.

For now, here are some pics of the work so far.

Next time, pocket screws and sanding. I also have to drill and cut out the side brackets on the band saw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost done

Well, I'm almost done. I finally had time to finish putting the pine sample piece together 2 weeks ago. This weekend I focused on the final product in oak. I have everything cut and drilled for the pocket holes. I put it together for now and I'll start working on the sanding and finish work later this week.

Parts

Back view with pocket holes

Front view with brackets and pocket holes

No sanding or finish yet

·
Registered
200 Posts
Almost done

Well, I'm almost done. I finally had time to finish putting the pine sample piece together 2 weeks ago. This weekend I focused on the final product in oak. I have everything cut and drilled for the pocket holes. I put it together for now and I'll start working on the sanding and finish work later this week.

Parts

No sanding or finish yet
If you are using the Kreg System, you can get oak plugs for those pockets which are exposed. You could also start with dowels, just more trimming.

Looks good!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Almost done

Parts

No sanding or finish yet
Very Nice

Why 2 rails ?

Do you hang two quilts or does the quilt fold over both rails ?

I ask because the MIL wants one, so does my better half.

I would love to hang one in our front hall but the quilt is 76×91 inches and I am told its not good to hang them vertically ?.....................but if you cant see the incredible tapestry whats the point in having them ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost done

Parts

No sanding or finish yet
Mom said she wanted something to hold 2 quilts. I don't know about you, but I try to give Mom what she wants. I have seen several others like this and most of the time they have a larger quilt in the back and another smaller one on the front rail.

I just hope she likes it.

-David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.