LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked up a meter today to test some maple I bought last week. I'm not getting any results. I tried it on a few boards around the shop. It works on some and not on others. The depth of the prongs doesn't seem to be the cause.
Am I doing it wrong? Or is this thing broken?

Sports equipment Flooring Walking shoe Gas Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Take on of those pieces of wood and cut it back it a little; plane it, rip it, or just cut the end off. Try a reading on the freshly exposed wood and see if that makes any difference. Wood that has been sitting can be very dry on the surface. Just a thought….oh, and make sure it's switched to "wood" instead of "building materials".

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Have the same meter and never had a problem with yet other than forgetting how to turn it on and off. No idea what did with the instruction booklet. I just press buttons until get the beep take a reading and let it turn itself off.

Might ask for an exchange if cannot get it to work, mine as works great inspite of me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't read below 5%, that may be it. I was just a little confused since the maple I bought looked like it had a lot of moisture in it when I was cutting it on the bandsaw. But things dry out fast here in the desert.

It will occasionally flicker a reading in some sticks (maple and walnut), while others will read with no problem (softer stuff like pine and cedar).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.