LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Building A "Time Machine"

I just wrapped up this Mid-Century Modern Clock. I decided to use walnut to build this clock because it's a timeless material and the figure really accents the dramatic angles. This was a fun project that I made in just one day.

George Nelson - the father time of mid-century modern clocks, was my inspiration for this project. And with the help of a few different jigs and math, I was able to achieve the angles that give this clock the attention it deserves.

I have to say this is my favorite time machine, but let me know what you think in the video comments!

Watch the Full Build Video Here

Natural material Wood Font Hardwood Triangle

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Modern Headboard

The seamless appearance of this headboard was achieved by using the stopped dados, giving this piece a fun 3D impression. I love how the organic feel of the waves takes this headboard design from a piece of plywood to a work of art.

Check out the full video on Youtube Here, and let me know what you think in the comments.

Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Modern Headboard

The seamless appearance of this headboard was achieved by using the stopped dados, giving this piece a fun 3D impression. I love how the organic feel of the waves takes this headboard design from a piece of plywood to a work of art.

Check out the full video on Youtube Here, and let me know what you think in the comments.

I love it! It's a striking modern design. Well done!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Modern Headboard

I love it! It s a striking modern design. Well done!

- bch
Thank you, I think so too!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Modern Headboard

Looks nice. Very creative design.

I have a few comments about your track saw usage. First, foam insulation may be fine to cut on if you're going down the middle of a sheet on your garage floor with a Skil saw, but it's not adequate support for precise track saw cuts. You need something more rigid. That's clear from your cut 20 seconds in. If a clean, square cut had been critical there, you'd have been in trouble. Additionally on that cut, put the track on the other side of the cut. It would have been much easier to manage and much safer as well-you almost got injured on that one. With the TS 55 outer splinter guard down, both edges will be splinter free, so there's no need to concern yourself with which is the keeper.

You need longer track. That's a real issue I see. In the first cut the video starts with, your track is the same length as the board. That's bad news and will come back to bite you (and possibly injure you) someday. Same goes for the second cut at 20 seconds where you almost drop it-the track isn't long enough for that one either.

Having enough track would also have allowed you to do those longer cuts with the TS 55 and not have to wrestle the sheet over the table saw. I assume you're using the 1400mm track that came with the TS 55 package. I added an 800 and 1080 when I got my TSC 55 K in June of '21. Just be sure to connect them properly. If you butt up the ends you're not guaranteed a straight edge. Take a look at this review for a good solution to that problem (yes, Festool is bringing out self-aligning connector bars, but I trust my StraightLine more).

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Modern Wall Cabinet

In this video, I'll show you how to build a modern walnut and cherry wall cabinet. It combines intermediate and advanced woodworking techniques like cutting perfect dados for the shelves, a tongue and groove shaker style door, and half-blind dovetails for the drawer box. Making this a great hand tool project.

I designed the cabinet using the golden ratio, which gives this cabinet a beautiful visual balance and weight. As for the wood, I used walnut and cherry hardwood. The cherry makes those warm tones pop in the walnut.

Check out the full build here

Let me know what you think of this wall cabinet in the comments!

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Plank Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Simple Projects for Gifts

In this video, I'll show you how to make a knife block, a towel rack, and a few different wooden tongs. These quick woodworking projects are perfect birthday presents, holiday gifts, housewarming items and are also ideal gifts for hosts! And all of these woodworking projects can be made in one weekend.

My wife's birthday just passed, and I know she appreciates a good handmade gift. I made all these from walnut and included some bloodwood as an accent, two of her favorite lumbers. The towel rack incorporates finger joints to give it extra strength for holding the towels and the downward force it will bear.

Make these simple DIY woodworking gifts for your friends and family, and watch the smile on their faces as they unwrap their woodworking gifts! As always, let me know if you have any questions in the comments.

Watch the Full Build Video Here

Wood Rectangle Brush Art Metal

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts