LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Japanese Inspired Wall Bench

Today, I am building a modern bench with a shelf that has a unique lean to it. It is inspired by the simple yet elevated Japanese joinery. The design relies on a bit of physics and a couple of wall anchors to stay standing. The bench seat, bench backrest, and shelf all feature a slatted design to keep the feel of the design light but also add rigidity.

You can see the full build video here

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Modern Chaise Lounge

This modern chaise lounge was an enjoyable build, to say the least. I went with four-quarter cypress for this project as it is a rot-resistant wood. I designed this piece to look seamless, and it almost looks like the back is just floating. It has sweeping lines and big curves that comfortably support the user. I also hid all of the screws in this piece with plugs, so there is no visible hardware. I had a ton of fun with this one and you can check out the build video here.

Plant Wood Shade Rectangle Natural landscape

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Modern Chaise Lounge

This modern chaise lounge was an enjoyable build, to say the least. I went with four-quarter cypress for this project as it is a rot-resistant wood. I designed this piece to look seamless, and it almost looks like the back is just floating. It has sweeping lines and big curves that comfortably support the user. I also hid all of the screws in this piece with plugs, so there is no visible hardware. I had a ton of fun with this one and you can check out the build video here.

Nice to see you over here on Lumber Jocks!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Modern Chaise Lounge

Nice to see you over here on Lumber Jocks!

- woodshopnerdery
Thanks buddy! Happy to be here!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modern Floating Shelves with Frames

Today I am making some floating shelves with floating frames. These combine the ever-popular floating wall shelf with a picture frame border attached via a small groove. These make a great addition to a gallery wall or by themselves for you to display pictures, knick-knacks, and trinkets!

The floating shelves are made of sturdy white oak, and the frames are walnut. I used a cool technique to ebonize the walnut by combining steel wool and vinegar to make iron acetate. When you apply this to walnut, it brings out the natural tannins in the wood to make it black. This is a fun way to "stain" wood without the painful process of actually staining the wood. And this technique can be used on other woods with ample tannins like oak, cherry, and mahogany.

Watch the Build Video Here

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Modern Floating Shelves with Frames

Today I am making some floating shelves with floating frames. These combine the ever-popular floating wall shelf with a picture frame border attached via a small groove. These make a great addition to a gallery wall or by themselves for you to display pictures, knick-knacks, and trinkets!

The floating shelves are made of sturdy white oak, and the frames are walnut. I used a cool technique to ebonize the walnut by combining steel wool and vinegar to make iron acetate. When you apply this to walnut, it brings out the natural tannins in the wood to make it black. This is a fun way to "stain" wood without the painful process of actually staining the wood. And this technique can be used on other woods with ample tannins like oak, cherry, and mahogany.

Picture frame Rectangle Wood Shelving Art
Embracing modern floating shelves with frames can be a perfect way to organize your home or office. In fact, when it comes to the style, it reminds us about the impressive artwork floating on the corridor.

- pyamd
Thanks! Yeah, I was going for a modern gallery look.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kneeling Chair

In this video, I show you how to make this ergonomic kneeling chair! The kneeling chair design is based on the original Variable Balans from the 1970's. I decided to make this dynamic kneeling chair out of ash, but this could easily be made from plywood or any other hardwood. And with the addition of 3-inch cloudlike cushions (high density foam) for the shin rests and seat with an angle, rocking back and forth on this kneeling chair can make even the busiest of workdays a bit more comfortable!

Not only will this kneeling chair look intriguing in any room, it also offers a host of benefits to the user. And after talking with my wife about some different features she wanted to see in her desk chair, we decided on the kneeling chair for these benefits. And truth be told, this chair does require some getting used to if you don't already have a strong core and good posture. But that's what makes it great! Regular use of this kneeling chair will strengthen your back and build core muscles.

Watch the Full Build Video Here

Electric blue Symbol Font Wood Metal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,513 Posts
Kneeling Chair

In this video, I show you how to make this ergonomic kneeling chair! The kneeling chair design is based on the original Variable Balans from the 1970's. I decided to make this dynamic kneeling chair out of ash, but this could easily be made from plywood or any other hardwood. And with the addition of 3-inch cloudlike cushions (high density foam) for the shin rests and seat with an angle, rocking back and forth on this kneeling chair can make even the busiest of workdays a bit more comfortable!

Not only will this kneeling chair look intriguing in any room, it also offers a host of benefits to the user. And after talking with my wife about some different features she wanted to see in her desk chair, we decided on the kneeling chair for these benefits. And truth be told, this chair does require some getting used to if you don't already have a strong core and good posture. But that's what makes it great! Regular use of this kneeling chair will strengthen your back and build core muscles.

wow a flash back.i remember those,they seem to have faded away.nice work on this one.welcome to lj's.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kneeling Chair

Electric blue Symbol Font Wood Metal
wow a flash back.i remember those,they seem to have faded away.nice work on this one.welcome to lj s.

- pottz
Thanks Sam! Hopefully, it triggered some fond memories! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plant Grow Station from Concrete and Walnut

I wanted to make my wife a seed starting station that looked good and could be displayed in our kitchen, so I went with walnut and concrete! This is quite the upgrade from the PVC and shop light grow station that we made a couple years ago. Not only are we going to have delicious fruit and vegetables come spring and summer time, but it will also look great in the process.

Azure Rectangle Wood Line Cross

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts

I wanted to make my wife a seed starting station that looked good and could be displayed in our kitchen, so I went with walnut and concrete! This is quite the upgrade from the PVC and shop light grow station that we made a couple years ago. Not only are we going to have delicious fruit and vegetables come spring and summer time, but it will also look great in the process.

Awesome build, great video! You got yourself a new subscriber!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Awesome build, great video! You got yourself a new subscriber!

- r33tc0w
Thank you so much! Welcome to the channel!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Modern Bar Stools

I had a ton of fun building these barstools and learned a lot along the way. A big part of this build had to do with the order of operations. And, in the end, these barstools got a lot of manual love from hand sanding and shaping-the result of that decision made for a beautifully hand-crafted look. I haven't decided if this is the approach I would take in the future, but it works well with this design. I plan to build two additional complimentary bar stools in the near future (so stay tuned) and will be able to take the knowledge I have gained and apply it to another great design.

Table Product Wood Chair Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Modern Bar Stools

I had a ton of fun building these barstools and learned a lot along the way. A big part of this build had to do with the order of operations. And, in the end, these barstools got a lot of manual love from hand sanding and shaping-the result of that decision made for a beautifully hand-crafted look. I haven't decided if this is the approach I would take in the future, but it works well with this design. I plan to build two additional complimentary bar stools in the near future (so stay tuned) and will be able to take the knowledge I have gained and apply it to another great design.

Very nice-looking stools

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Modern Bar Stools

Very nice-looking stools

- Vince
I appreciate it Vince!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bent Lamination Pendant Lights

This video has it all - wood bending, sheet metal bending, electrical wiring, and a bunch of great techniques. I used hard maple for the bent lamination to achieve the circular design I wanted. Rather than purchasing veneer (which would have saved a bunch of time), I opted to make my own out of some maple that I already had in the shop. To make these 5 lights, I made 65 veneers, which gave me a little wiggle room for any issues that might come up. But the effort was well worth it.

Our house definitely got an upgrade from some builder-grade lights to these fun customizable and modern lights.

I hope you enjoy the build video, and it inspires you to make your own lights!

Light Rectangle Line Wood Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Full-Length Mirror and Stand

In this video, I'm building a modern full-length mirror reminiscent of the mid-century dressing mirrors. This mirror incorporates a storage drawer and the mirror pivots so you can adjust its position. I used some fun woodworking techniques like rounded miters, stopped dados, and a bunch of other woodworking tricks to achieve the waterfall grain pattern I was looking for.

Watch the Video Here

Enjoy the build!

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Tints and shades Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Modern Bread Box

In this video, I'm building a bread box. This modern bread box uses mortise and tenon joinery with other traditional woodworking techniques and tools. It features a two-tiered bread box that can hold two loaves of bread and has two drawers to store your jams, jellies, and spreads. This is a classic woodworking project with a modern twist that really updates the design. Your bread needs a home, so build it one!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Modern Planter Boxes with Hide a Key Storage

I upgraded my home's curb appeal and build these modern planter boxes. Plus these planter boxes have hidden key storage to boot!

I chose to build these planter boxes using sapele and canarywood because of their durability and weather resistance. Plus the colors in the canarywood really pop next to the straight grain in the sapele adding to the modern lines in the design. I mounted these planters using french cleats which makes hanging them a breeze. These are anything but your grandma's planters.

Check out the Full Build Video Here

Plant Green Wood Rectangle Font

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Modern Outdoor Side Table

In this video, I'll show you how to build a modern outdoor side table that will perfectly complement your outdoor space. This side table is great beginner woodworking project, and it can be completed in a weekend.

With a sleek design and durable construction, this side table is a great accompaniment to the chaise lounge that I built last year. As with all outdoor furniture, choosing a durable and rot resistant type of wood is imperative. So, for this project I went with cypress because of its durability in lasting outdoors and of course to match the chaise.

This is a fun and quick project that will have your summer BBQ guests talking!

Let me know what you think in the comments!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts