LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi,

Shop down for a month now as I am working on dust.

Miter saw in a nice box enclosure with 6" pipe to DC also hooked up to my festool shop vac to port on saw. Really looked like I had a winner until I turned on my dylos meter. High reading as I cut. I made some modifications with no luck.

Than I started looking at the retractable blade shroud, it has lots of 3/4 inch holes pointed right at me. I taped them up and started to get much better readings.

So I see other miter saws with these holes and some without. Why are they there? It would have to be a pretty good reason to allow the dust in my face. This is the invisible dust, before I turned on the dylos meter I thought I had a winner.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Not sure why they are there either, but it seems to make no sense. Have you tried running the dust port just aimed (approximately) into the enclosure without the vacuum and only the DC? I only ask because no vacuum can compete with the air velocity of a good DC setup. This could in theory improve your reads further depending on the design of your enclosure.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Having work in plastics injection molding, it cuts down on material cost.

·
Registered
11,872 Posts
I think they prevent dust from caking up inside the
guard. You can also see through the holes.

That said, I often bend at the knees to get a in-line
view or I might retract the guard with my thumb
to set up a cut. I don't presently have a miter
saw so I don't exactly recall what I used to do but
I did have a DeWalt with slots in the guard.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK

The holes are for the laser. I thought my laser was not working. I took the tape off and was not able to duplicate the high reading. Don't want to put out misinformation.

Still testing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.