LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miter frame clamps - small, weighted tightening

I wanted to assemble some very small mitered frames and my band-clamp was way too big. I decided to make a small miter frame string-clamp.

Start with a block of 3/4" Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene:
Rectangle Tints and shades Font Electronic device Ceiling

Cut a 90 degree V on the long edge and sliced off 1/2 thick pieces:
Wood Tints and shades Font Paper Publication

Drill holes overlapping the V to give corner relief. Add a 3/16" hole as a path for the string on the 90 degree from the face:
Font Tints and shades Wood Metal Rectangle

Chamfer the holes and trim to size the short length of three of the corner blocks (leave one long for mounting as a fixture):
Wood Shelving Shade Shelf Hardwood

Tie a weight to the string (thread the other end through all four corner clamps and make a stop on the other end, I tied on a #6 washer):
Wood Security Household hardware Rectangle Gas

Drill holes in the face of the long corner block for mounting on a platen, string around the blocks (twice through the fixture) and insert the glued frame, lower the weight to clamp and you will still have both hands free for minor adjustments:
Rectangle Wood Table Floor Flooring

I like to use CA glue so the process of assembly is very quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

I wanted to assemble some very small mitered frames and my band-clamp was way too big. I decided to make a small miter frame string-clamp.

Drill holes overlapping the V to give corner relief. Add a 3/16" hole as a path for the string on the 90 degree from the face:

Chamfer the holes and trim to size the short length of three of the corner blocks (leave one long for mounting as a fixture):

Tie a weight to the string (thread the other end through all four corner clamps and make a stop on the other end, I tied on a #6 washer):

Drill holes in the face of the long corner block for mounting on a platen, string around the blocks (twice through the fixture) and insert the glued frame, lower the weight to clamp and you will still have both hands free for minor adjustments:

Pretty clever. Well done!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

I really like your idea. Thanks for sharing.

L/W

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.