LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got my Milwaukee router in the mail yesterday. Took it out of the box and plugged it in just to see how it sounds and it spun for a mili second and stopped. Is this some sort of safety thing? Or what's going on? It's been in the single digits while it was being shipped here so could the cold have done something to it? It's been inside all night and still doing it again this morning so it's warmed up. I can't call Milwaukee till Monday so wanted to see if you guys knew anything.
This is the router: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-2-1-4-Max-Horsepower-EVS-Multi-Base-Router-Kit-with-Plunge-Base-and-BodyGrip-Fixed-Base-5616-24/100609939/

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Never seen a safety on a router that could be doing that, but it might be a newfangled thingie, can't think of what could be engaging a safety trigger. Most all of my kitchen equipment has magnetic switches to ensure safeties are engaged, and they can be a PITA. All I can think to try while you're wondering if you got a POS in the mail is to try the moving parts, maybe there is a mag switch in the plunge that stops it if past a certain depth, or if the collet isn't tightened or something…

PURE guessing, no real idea…any clues in the manual???

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
It's not that, I have no explanation. Mine have been very cold and still started. I'm fearful it's a DOA thing. That hasn't ever happened with mine, cold or not. If I had to guess I'd say one of the wires came loose under the switch. You did try it on a different outlet, right?

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
To turn it on with no bit, just take the collet all the way off.
Sounds to me like the switch is not making good contact. Does it spin a bit each time you turn it on and off. Try holding the switch with a bit of pressure toward the on side. Does it stay on?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I wouldn't try any repairs until you either talk to Milwaukee (which would actually be my second choice) or the vendor (my first). They should be willing to ship you a replacement very quickly, and pay the dime for return of this one. Milwaukee might try to talk you through a repair, and to me that thing should have worked out of the box; you deserve a replacement, even if it's a minor issue. Depending on where you bought it, you might get the vendor on the phone today.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Sounds like it's a deader, can'tthink of anything else besides BROKE!,,,, sucks do you have a HD nearby? Might be able to go in and get it swapped

·
Registered
364 Posts
For my money Milwaukee still rates in the upper class; true enough that they do not offer too much that can stand against their 80's and 90's products. It has been a slow and steady series of acquisitions and building for the masses (aka big boxes) and Americas "I want the best but want to buy it at [email protected]#l&art" mentality that has driven Delta, Milwaukee, Porter Cable et.al. to be what they are now, mostly a shell of their earlier selves. My Milwaukee Hole Shooter drill from the early 80's is a war horse and will still be around in 20 years - "don't make-em like they used to".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.