LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
41 - 60 of 125 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Saturday afternoon's haul (1" and 5/4" walnut, 8+' lenghts in 3(?) to 11.25" widths):

A few boards were showing slight signs of spalting:

Atonther bookmatched set of the spalted pecky/wormy maple wetted (but not quiet enough) for your viewing enjoyment:

· Registered
1,323 Posts
I wish you guys the best. Before you start selling and shipping lumber out of the state of Kentucky it would be a good idea to check in with your Dept. of Agriculture. They can bring you up to date on all the rules, regs, and necessary legal proceedures involved.

Many states are now controlling movement of lumber due to the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer. I know for a fact that there is a stiff fine issued to anyone who takes lumber over the Mackinaw Bridge.

· Registered
143 Posts
Hello Elkhunter,
No shipping at this time. I'm still trying to get bro. to do some shipping of small quantities.

Hello Justine,
That's E'town Ky.

Hello cuz ,
No kiln…but it's in our longterm plans.

Thanks 8iowa,
I think the restrictions are limited to ash. Last I heard, we're not in the affected area. All is subject to change because they're not that far away. Shame, our local ash is more rot resistent than common.

· Registered
143 Posts
[BTW - I apologize again to anyone who has not gotten a timely answer to a private message they have sent me. Please be patient. It seems as though I'm experiencing a delay at getting them. I sent one to another member who also experienced a delay at getting it..so I'm not alone. I also notice this board doesn't have a popup feature to get your attention. ]

I was hoping for some spalting from the butt tupelo log pictured earlier in this thread. Here's what I got instead:

Look at 10' long 2×6(?) just above the 6×6 sassafras support beam. There's 12 of them. you'll see I've wetted it a little. This is my first tupelo and I like its rich, yet understated, tones…kinda elegant looking.

The #2 tupelo log pictured earlier I quarter-sawed, numbered and bookmatched. (Sorry, no pictures…it's buried beneath the maple/sassafras/sycamore in the 8' stack.

We'll try to get this black walnut on the mill in the next few days:

Its 12.5-13' long, ~25" at the butt and ~23" at the small end. I saw no signs of defects in the bark whatsoever. I'll try to mill it next week. I'm thinking on flat-sawing it all and making a few 1.5" thick and as of wide boards as possible for bar tops. The #2 log I'll include the upper crotch and turn it into flitches (slabs). Any thoughts?

· Registered
143 Posts
We've added some 9'4"(?) long 4/4 white oak in random widths. Many clear boards, some wide/clear. It's a mix of flat, rift and quarter sawn:

And some 10' long 4/4 white oak in both narrow and wide 11 1/8"(?) widths, with some numbered for bookmatching. Lots of swirly grain:

And some 12' long 4/4 red oak in wider widths. All(?) of it contains small knots:

We'll be milling more walnut and red oak soon. I expect a lot of clear boards from the red oak.

4' walnut butt, 8' walnut butt log, 4' r.oak butt and 16' r.oak butt log:

2- 8' r,oaks, 12' r. oak butt log, walnut top:

I hope to haver more walnut, red and white oak coming soon.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hello BlueStingrayBoots,

Unfortunately it was hollow. But I did have one that's in an awkward position. I don't know if we'll ever get it. There are two more small ones that I will pratice on. And theres one more that I would like to dig out if the highlift ever shows up.

· Registered
22 Posts
I am interested in some quarter sawn white oak. What would you charge for this? I am in Southern Indiana, not far from you.

· Registered
143 Posts
Hello blackdogwoodshop,

Be glad to sell that white oak before it gets buried. I'm doing all the milling that the weather allows. While I don't have any 10' logs at the mill (the stack with the white oak in it is 10'), this is subject to change within a week. So please hurry. :)

$1.30 for mill-run white oak. A $0.25 per bf extra for q-sawn.

There's an extra charge for boards wider than 8". This will vary by species and ultimate width. For white oak (subject to change) I would charge $.10 extra per per bf for each 1" of width over 8". For example: A white oak board that's 6" wide 4/4 thick and 10' long would = 5 bf and would sell for $6.50 at 1.30 bf. But if the same board were 12" wide then the calculations would be 10bf x 1.30 = $13.00 + (4 inches over the 8" limit at $0.10 per bf extra = $.40×10 bf = $4.00) = $15.00 ttl.

I think I need to define mill-run: Mill-run is every board from the log regardless of grade. So when buying mill-run lumber you are obligated to take every board, from the top of the stack down, until the desired quantity is reached. There's no cherry-picking allowed if you are paying mill-run rates. If you want to cherry-pick then it is no longer considered mill-run and prices change.

· Registered
11 Posts
Dirtclod,

I am roughly 5 1/2 hours away. It would be worth the trip forme justto come down and see what you have to offer and more than likely buy some lumber. Are your prices still the same as above?

· Registered
143 Posts
Ashley113,
Very little cedar at this time. Will be harvesting sometime and have a pile of logs waiting at another site. What sizes interest you?

JetJock,
No changes and still room for some negotiation.

I've added 60(?)+ 4-5' bokmatched walnut flitches. The logs ranged from antique standing dead to fresh cut. Most have crotches and don't have bark. Many of these have a unique honey color to them not normally associated with walnut, some have the traditional freshly harvested walnut color, while the antique log produced a Hersheys chocholate color I've never seen before. Looks like there's enough there to supply tables for a coffee shop/bar.

Here's the old tree:

I've also added some 12' 6"x 8/4 and 11.25"(?) x 5/4 red oak.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi dirtclod. I would definitely be interested in some black locust and/or osage orange if you happen to run into any large trees. I need quartersawn pieces at least 8.5" to 9" wide for guitar building, and have no problem air drying the wood myself. If you ever run into any, please get in touch.

Also interested in wide boards of quartered black walnut.

Vinman

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Dirtclod, Somehow my first signup got discombubulated ??? Any way, I sent you an e-mail asking your location as I work in e-town, live in leitchfield. Would like to buy some rough lumber for a project, build my youngest a toy box/blanket chest. Since I can no longer gain access to the original sign in I never received your return e-mail. Can you please tell me where or how I can find you. Thanks.
PS, I am looking for something special such as spalted or fhighly figured wood.
Thanks Again.

· Registered
143 Posts
Vinman, There's a lot of locust growing around here but for some reason none has show up on the mill. There's one on the property that's nice, straight and tall. But, if I cut it, it's going to go over the the road and two fences. Hedge is somewhat rare around here. A man is frequently dropping off free loads of logs and I had previously made it known I would like to have all of both that he runs into….along with holly, coffee tree, red mulberry, etc. But so far he just keeps dropping off pine, poplar, hickory, oak and walnut. What's a begger to do? (lol) I'll posts if some turns up.

Magdaddy, Pm sent.

I milled ~ 10 short black walnut logs into bookmatched flitches. (Some call them slabs.) Most I made 5/4 thick.I currently have 3 color groupings. I have 6 logs in the first color grouping and they typically run 4-4 1'2' long. I would like to sell them in complete sets. Here's a sampling:

Set 1 (6 flitches):

The color in the following photo is near true but lacks some richness. Remember, this walnut hasn't been cut very long and will darken more with age. I'm seeing it already. When I first cut them and wetted to check color they came honey colored. This picture was taken on Saturday. They're now muck darker

set1 flitches 5 & 6 side A:

I've taken a lot of pictures, measurments and notes of the first 5 sets and can provide more details to serious buyers. I will try to get pictures and notes on the remaining sets soon. Each set will be uniquely priced based loosly on a board foot charge. I try to get some posted soon.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.