LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello all,
I'm new here. I was checking out your site and noticed many are searching for lumber and paying a fair price. My brother has a manual mill. We've been cutting logs. So far we have ~20. We'll cut some more as weather and time allow. The plan is to mill them this winter. So far most of what we've cut is walnut. But we've also have cherry, white oak, spalted black gum, spalted sycamore and hickory. We'll be adding more cherry, white oak, hickory and walnut. We'll also going to be cutting some eastern red cedar, red oak and white ash. By request, we'll cut beech and sugar maple. We also have access to other species.

We're not marketers. We're just a couple of poor boys trying to keep our head above water. We mainly work weekends.The plan was to sticker this lumber and let it air dry while waiting for a buyer. But I think it would work better if we could custom-cut the lumber per the buyer's needs. That way it's cut to the right sizes and, possibly, could be loaded right on their trailer. The thing is we don't have the market. So I was hoping to find some customers here that could advise us what they wanted to cut and we could run it off the mill on the spot.

Here's a couple of shots of the mill:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Hello Kentucky!
I wonder if we could ship up a skid to Canada and split it up here.
We could use an assortment of FAS 16/4 down to 5/4 cherry, black walnut, and white oak.
We need matched lumber for furniture and a reasonable width.
Dont forget that turners love stumps and crotch for figure.

Everybody worries about the freight but in reality if we need it here we have to pay freight.
Get some pictures of your stuff up on the site and let's see what we can do if we put our heads together.

Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Praki, we're near E'town.

Bob #2, Canada? I don't know. I'll have to give that some consideration. We don't have a grader so sorting into FAS, etc. doesn't seem practical. We need to sell all of this rough-cut as all we have is a small planer that's not up to jobs this size. I've been keeping my eyes open for good crotches and stumps. But stumps are full of rocks and also a lot of work. Our mill can only cut boards 24" wide (31" log) so we're limited to smaller stumps and crotches at this time. I hope to remedy this next year because we have access to the biguns and a large burl that I'd like to do. We've been given standing trees that are 4-5' dbh. They're still standing and will be until we get some way to deal with them.

I was hoping to custom cut for waiting customers and load on the spot. There's going to be leftovers - much of which will be high-grade so some pictures of that would be a good idea.

I guess what I'm saying is we need input and would prefer having the experts (customers) tell us how they want it done. You see, we've been at this a while but we've mainly been cutting lumber for barns, etc.. We've done a fair amount for a few local woodworkers but our capacity exceeds their demand. We've done some homework, and feel like we're ready to move into the furniture market but don't want to cut a lot of good lumber and just sit on it. Also funds are low (ok, we're poor) so we'd like a quick turn-around.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd definitely be interested in checking out your operation. I'm only about a half an hour away from E-town. I don't have a trailer, but I've got a 1970 GMC pick-up that hold a lot of 8' long boards.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mill is portable. We're setting up on a farm where we're cutting logs. We may do this in phases and move the mill to other projects inbetween. We have a few logs that a tree service has dropped off at my brother's place. There will undoubtably be more soon. We also have several logs from a large white oak on a nearby farm. Then there's several hunderd logs setting (decaying) on another nearby farm. We are also associated with a firewood lot and cut logs there from time to time. On top of all that we pick up some odd jobs here and there. So "our operation" is where the mill happens to be at any given time.

As soon as the mill is moved I'll give a heads up and maybe we can get togather before the weather gets too bad. And just so I'll know how to position the logs, what species and sizes are you interested in?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I wish I was closer, but California is a long ways away. I am sure a lot of folks like JP and others will be looking for this wood.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd be interested in anything you've got as far as species is concerned. Size… I'd say anything from 4/4 up to 8/4, any width. Like I said I've only got a pick-up so I'd need to stay as close to 8' as I can get, but if some are a little longer then I could always strap 'em down. I'm just looking to build a nice stash of lumber so I'm not going to be too picky. Any idea how much you're looking to sell this stuff for?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's setting up the mill this weekend and, weather permitting, will be milling next weekend.

Note that we'll cut to any size the log allows and you require. Want 3×12s or 4×10s? As usual, the bf price on heavier pieces is higher. Also specialty pieces such as spalted, crotches, burls stumps and quartersawn are priced uniquely. In the meantime I'll get some prices togather for standard mill-run lumber. I'm also open to offers..

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Rotting=spalted if you get it dried and out of the elements. Good luck with your business. There are a fair amount of eBay lumber sellers, might be something to look into.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JP - the mill is moved and ready. Looking to get togather with you this weekend.

Here's the prices:

Beech 1.10
Cherry 2.40
ERC 1.25
Hickory 1.25
Red oak 1.50
Sycamore 1.00
Sassafras 1.50
Walnut 2.35
White ash 1.10
White oak 1.30
Yellow Poplar 1.10

Prices are for 8' 4/4 in random widths up to 8". Thicker, wider and/or longer pieces cost extra. Prices are not valid for quarter sawing. Figured wood (burl, ambrosia, spalting, crotches, etc.) prices are negotiable. Basically all prices are subjective and negotiable. This price list is our first attempt so everything is subject to change depending on the mood of the sawyer, phase of the moon, log on the mill and by the board coming off the log at the moment. Prices are subject to change as soon as I figure out how bad I screwed up. So how does the prices look? (I need input lol)

The logs we currently have harvested are: spalted black gum, spalted sycamore, white oak, walnut, and hickory and cherry. Most harvested logs are 12-24" diameter and in lengths of 8' to 16' plus unbucked lengths. We can fetch cedar and sassafrass trees pretty quickly. Also in the vicinity of the mill are cedar, ash, yellow poplar, sycamore, beech, black gum, sassafras and red oak trees and a large cherry tree to be harvested. Most of the unharvested trees are hard to get to and too large for the tractor we were using. We have a high lift coming in sometime to fetch many of the others. There's also some small exotics available. We also have some red oak and hickory waiting at another site, a large white oak to be quartersawn at yet another site, and others if I can think of where they're at. There's some red oak and white pine already cut into random widths ranging from 4-12" W x 8-10' L 4/4 T. We can also get other species not listed…just give us some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys

I would be interested in corresponding about some green bowl blanks. This might be a good opportunity to use large limbs and burls that don't mill into flat lumber.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I mean no disrespect, I am only trying to help. I have watched this thread, just because of the title "Milling lumber-Need market"...That is a tough row to hoe brother. Maybe you should find a market and mill for it ? I am speaking from experience here, asking "Does this price look right" kinda sounds bad, even if the price is good.

"We're not marketers" (quote) Sawing good lumber is step one. If you cannot sell it you are a "lumber collector", that gets expensive. I wish you luck. If you get in a bind, shoot me a note, maybe I can help. That is a sincere offer.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.