LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Before" Pics

Here are a few pictures of our kitchen layout before demo started. Hopefully, the changes and updates we make will provide a Tuscany look, which is what SWMBO is asking for.

These pics give an over view looking from left to right. Not a big kitchen, but not cramped either.

Fixture Cabinetry Door Kitchen appliance Home appliance

Cabinetry Property Countertop Kitchen appliance Kitchen

Cabinetry Countertop Property Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove

Cabinetry Countertop Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove Drawer

Cabinetry Property Furniture Building Countertop

Work has already started. More pics coming soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
"Before" Pics

Here are a few pictures of our kitchen layout before demo started. Hopefully, the changes and updates we make will provide a Tuscany look, which is what SWMBO is asking for.

These pics give an over view looking from left to right. Not a big kitchen, but not cramped either.

Fixture Cabinetry Door Kitchen appliance Home appliance

Cabinetry Property Countertop Kitchen appliance Kitchen

Cabinetry Countertop Property Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove

Cabinetry Countertop Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove Drawer

Cabinetry Property Furniture Building Countertop

Work has already started. More pics coming soon.
Mike,
Good Luck with the new cabinets.

Keep us posted.
Work Safely and have Fun. - Len

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Plan

The time has finally come to remodel our kitchen. I have been building a few cabinets for other people but now it is our turn.

We bought this house in the summer of 1987. It was four years old. But now it is paid for, the kids have flown the coop, and we can finally redo the kitchen. My wife has an idea of what she wants so that is the way it will be. :)

After a lot of research and head scratchin', here are a few of the basic things that will be incorporated.

• Knotty Alder for the face frames, doors and drawer fronts
  • Doors and drawer fronts to be outsourced - most likely Evans Custom Cabinet Doors, Brenham, Tx
  • 5/8 inch drawer boxes with dovetail joints in front, dado back.
  • 3/4 inch prefinished birch plywood for the upper cabinets (top, bottom, sides, shelves) w/ 1/2 inch prefinished backs.
  • Blum soft close door hinges
  • General Finishes Colonial Maple gel stain w/ Van ******************** glaze added
  • Final finish to be determined later
  • New rectangular sink to replace dual existing 90 deg basin sink
  • Custom utensil drawer
  • Dual pull out trash bin receptacles
  • Full extension soft close drawer slides
  • New diagonal corner cabinets with lazy Susan in each upper cabinet corner (two)
  • New cabinet above refrigerator (lots of storage)
  • New countertop (Silstone)

I don't have actual CAD drawings to go by other than plans for the corner cabinets drawn by MobilePaul. I do have sketches on graph paper that will work just fine. All I need is the idea and the measurements of the wall and cabinet size.

If all goes well, my workflow should go something like this.

1. Remove upper cabs. I have already found a new home for them. My son in laws mom & dad are coming to pick them up. He will be putting them in his shop.
  2. Run new electrical as needed - an electrician will be doing this; not me.
  3. Build face frames, stain and put a coat or two of finish on them. My wife is doing that.
  4. Build cabinet carcases and attach face frames with pocket screws. No screws will be visible.
  5. Install diagonal corner cabinets first and work out from there.
  6. Apply glaze and final clear finish.
  7. Install microwave in it's new location and plug it in!!!
  8. Install new vent hood over stove.

After the upper cabs are complete and installed, we will turn our attention to the lower ones.
Hope to have everything done in time for Thanksgiving dinner! At least that is the plan.
Stay tuned. Lots of pics to follow.
Mike

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Demo Time!

Phase 1 of the demo is complete. We will replace the uppers, put everything back in service, then replace the lower cabinets.

The cabinets were installed with screws so it was a simple matter of removing the screws and taking the cabinets down. We did remove the doors, then put them back on after they were on the floor. Regardless of what you might see on the TV DIY shows, no cabinets were damaged in this demo! :)

We now have a clean slate. a bit holey, but clean all the same. I plan to patch the holes above the stove.

Love these cabinet jacks. I got the idea from this article.
Wood Gas Tool Hardwood Machine

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Property Shelf Wood Rectangle Wood stain

Sometimes, I just need to get out of her way! :) She is anxious to get this job complete.
Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Kitchen

Cabinetry Property Countertop Sink Gas stove

Cabinetry Property Countertop Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove

Flooring Output device Gas Machine Technology

Property Cabinetry Gas stove Laundry room Wood

Cabinetry Furniture Gas stove Cooktop Kitchen stove

Cabinetry Countertop Kitchen Kitchen appliance Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Demo Time!

Phase 1 of the demo is complete. We will replace the uppers, put everything back in service, then replace the lower cabinets.

The cabinets were installed with screws so it was a simple matter of removing the screws and taking the cabinets down. We did remove the doors, then put them back on after they were on the floor. Regardless of what you might see on the TV DIY shows, no cabinets were damaged in this demo! :)

We now have a clean slate. a bit holey, but clean all the same. I plan to patch the holes above the stove.

Sometimes, I just need to get out of her way! :) She is anxious to get this job complete.

nice work thats one way to use a bar clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Demo Time!

I remember that you built new cabinets in your shop, will some of these make their way to the shop too?

Work Safely and have Fun. - Len.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Demo Time!

I remember that you built new cabinets in your shop, will some of these make their way to the shop too?

Work Safely and have Fun. - Len.

- GrandpaLen
No sir. I have run out of room. :-( My son-in-law's mom and dad are coming to pick them up tomorrow…for their shop/craft room.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Demo Time!

Coming along nicely. The cabinet jack is gr8!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Demo Time!

Thanks. The old cabinets were picked up yesterday. We should make good progress this coming week building face frames, carcasses, rerouting some electrical and patching the drywall.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts
Demo Time!

Love the cabinet jacks. Wonderful creative idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Building the Upper Cabinets

We have been building the upper cabinets. Two more to go. The face frames are knotty alder stained with General Finishes Colonial Maple. After a couple of coats of clear finish they received a glaze application. General Finishes Van ******************** Brown did the trick. Then it was several more coats of Parks Pro Finishes Clear Satin. I lightly sanded between coats. I really like the way they turned out.

The carcases are 3/4 inch prefinished birch with 1/2 inch backs. Each side is dadoed top and bottom with a rabbit along the back of each one. That makes for a nice, square box and once it is glued, screwed and stapled, it is rock solid. The face frames were attached to the boxes using pocket hole construction and glue.

Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Hardwood

Wood Musical instrument Machine tool Composite material Gas

Property Furniture Building Cabinetry Wood

Property Interior design Table Building Wood

Had to do a little drywall repair and relocate the electrical for the vent hood.
Wood Rectangle Wall Font Gas

Got the 2×4's attached to the wall. I shot a line using a laser. Just about ready to go.
Cabinetry Building Wood Countertop Interior design

Lots of shelf pin holes for these guys (39 inches tall).
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Composite material

Test fit
Jeans Wood Hardwood Bed frame Flooring

Joint Jeans Cabinetry Drawer Chest of drawers

Lazy Susan's rear. :)
Shelving Wood Shelf Flooring Lamp

Shelf Shelving Wood Cabinetry Flooring

Cabinetry Wood Interior design Shelving Shelf

Everything is falling into place.
Property Building Wood Flooring Wood stain

Cabinetry Property Building Furniture Countertop

Stick around. There is more to come.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts

We have been building the upper cabinets. Two more to go. The face frames are knotty alder stained with General Finishes Colonial Maple. After a couple of coats of clear finish they received a glaze application. General Finishes Van ******************** Brown did the trick. Then it was several more coats of Parks Pro Finishes Clear Satin. I lightly sanded between coats. I really like the way they turned out.

The carcases are 3/4 inch prefinished birch with 1/2 inch backs. Each side is dadoed top and bottom with a rabbit along the back of each one. That makes for a nice, square box and once it is glued, screwed and stapled, it is rock solid. The face frames were attached to the boxes using pocket hole construction and glue.

Had to do a little drywall repair and relocate the electrical for the vent hood.

Got the 2×4's attached to the wall. I shot a line using a laser. Just about ready to go.

Test fit

Mike
looking up good work.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts

Test fit

Mike
Nice work Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts

Test fit

Mike
Very good Mike.

My nephew was in the midst of building his when he got struck with shingles. He had been operating under the assumption that you had to be old to get shingles, now he either knows better or is older than his chronological age.

Get the vaccination!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,502 Posts

Test fit

Mike
Lotsa pieces n parts that'll turn into some super nice cabinets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Installing the upper Cabinets

Not bad for a lazy Sunday afternoon's work. We have installed everything I have assembled. I will have to make a 1/8th - 3/16 inch filler strip to fit where the cabinet clamps are. I held off building the cabinet for above the refrigerator. I need some good measurements…and probably a thin filler strip also. Dang crooked walls.

Getting old and having bad knees can make this work unpleasant at times. Fortunately, my helper still has plenty of get up and go! Plus it's her kitchen afterall!

These pics brings this project up to date. Next week I will start on the base cabinets. More pics to come in the near future.
Mike

The installer is here!
Sleeve Wood Waist Elbow Long hair

Did I mention how much I like those cabinet jacks? They work great!
Cabinetry Wood Flooring Floor Countertop

Right side is done.
Window Building Cabinetry Wood Countertop

And the left side.
Cabinetry Furniture Property Countertop Wood

Property Cabinetry Interior design Wood Building

First things first. Gottat get the Tony Chachere's Seasoning in the cabinet first!
Shelf Shelving Wood Bookcase Hardwood

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts

Not bad for a lazy Sunday afternoon's work. We have installed everything I have assembled. I will have to make a 1/8th - 3/16 inch filler strip to fit where the cabinet clamps are. I held off building the cabinet for above the refrigerator. I need some good measurements…and probably a thin filler strip also. Dang crooked walls.

Getting old and having bad knees can make this work unpleasant at times. Fortunately, my helper still has plenty of get up and go! Plus it's her kitchen afterall!

These pics brings this project up to date. Next week I will start on the base cabinets. More pics to come in the near future.
Mike

The installer is here!

Right side is done.

And the left side.

First things first. Gottat get the Tony Chachere's Seasoning in the cabinet first!
Looks great so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Mike

The installer is here!

Right side is done.

And the left side.

Gratification and motivation, all in a days work.

Coming together quite nicely, Mike.

Work Safely and have Fun. - Len

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

Mike

The installer is here!

Right side is done.

And the left side.

looking great mike!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Mike

The installer is here!

Right side is done.

And the left side.

Thank you. The shelves are being reloaded. Doesn't look like anything has been accomplished, but it has. I had to trim the edge banding on all of the shelves. My wife was busy emptying the boxes and putting everything in place.

This afternoon, I made some spacers for the vent hood, and just finished installing it. It passed the smoke test! :)

I made the 7/64th's filler strip and got it stained. Hopefully, I can get some finish on it and install it tomorrow.

We started clearing out the two bottom corner cabinets between the refrigerator and stove. Those will be the first two to get replaced. That way, The rest of the kitchen can remain functional a little longer. :)

More to come later.
Mike

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.