LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When I first joined Lumberjocks I was under the impression that one was not to sell or promote products and services they sell or represent. It seems that I am seeing very active members tout products and services which are supplied be other members or themselves.

If a member wants to advertize his or her product, why don't they take out an ad on Lumberjocks to help defray the cost of operations instead of circumventing a long standing understanding by not directly promoting and using their buddies. I just wonder who is getting a piece of the action from the so called "Gods" of this site.

It really is blatantly apparent that this is happening and these so called "Gods" and their minions need to be addressed. In other words, take your goods and services on the road and pay your way , you conniving pieces of work. This is not a free advertizing plane for you jokers.

You're not fooling me, and you know who I am talking about.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I couldn't agree more, but as I have said before, a fool and their money are soon parted. The biggest laugh is when someone comments and DID NOT read the OP's question in full, it's like "here's my chance to plug xyz brand AND get my post count up so I look important.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
When I first joined Lumberjocks I was under the impression that one was not to sell or promote products and services they sell or represent. I just wonder who is getting a piece of the action from the so called "Gods" of this site.

This is not a free advertizing plane for you jokers.

You're not fooling me, and you know who I am talking about.

- pjones46
Nothing in the site rules support your understanding of sales or self-promotion. You apparently missed the Baleigh promotions some time ago; that would have made the point of 'hassle free' dope-slap obvious. Finally, I don't know who the so-called gods of this site are, either. If you wish to worship, feel free.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yeah! That just makes me so mad. Especially those guys who put links in their signature line linking to their woodworking businesses! Why don't they just buy an ad. I mean, really!
</sarcasm>

Who cares? If the admins don't like it, they will dispose of it. Can't see how it concerns you in the least.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It bothers me also when they refer you to their web page to see a Video, purchase a CD, etc, etc. and that's not sarcasm.

I try to give free information and not plug member's products. So when you get through bowing at the altar let me and I will take you seriously.

Sorry, I don't worship at the altar of the minions and the God's of Lumberjocks. Oh, By the way, iweb site info in your signiture is not against the rules either. By the way the Rules are HERE.

Gee, must have struck a nerve somewhere?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Nothing in the site rules support your understanding of sales or self-promotion. You apparently missed the Baleigh promotions some time ago; that would have made the point of hassle free dope-slap obvious. Finally, I don t know who the so-called gods of this site are, either. If you wish to worship, feel free.

- Smitty_Cabinetshop

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
If I were good enough, smart enough, young enough to have a woodworking or tool business, I'd probably try to get my product in front of as many eye balls as I could.
As one who simply enjoys reading and participating in the posts here, I can be selective about where my mouse wanders.
Sometimes, not often, those signature links lead to some interesting info.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
" God is great, the Beer is good and people are Crazy. www.pauljoneswoodworks.com"

Is this what you're talking about ^ ?

I don't get it.

When I first joined Lumberjocks I was under the impression that one was not to sell or promote products and services they sell or represent. It seems that I am seeing very active members tout products and services which are supplied be other members or themselves.

Isn't your tag line promoting yourself?

In all due respect PJones46 I seriously don't get it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing in the site rules support your understanding of sales or self-promotion. You apparently missed the Baleigh promotions some time ago; that would have made the point of hassle free dope-slap obvious. Finally, I don t know who the so-called gods of this site are, either. If you wish to worship, feel free.

- Smitty_Cabinetshop

- JADobson
Ya, got to love those site rules that were listed above…...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
" God is great, the Beer is good and people are Crazy. www.pauljoneswoodworks.com"

Is this what you re talking about ^ ?

I don t get it.

Isn t your tag line promoting yourself?

In all due respect PJones46 I seriously don t get it.

- waho6o9
It is also on my home page of Lumberjocks. Really struk a nerve with you guys in the RULES

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Sorry this bothers you Paul,I'm not sure who your referring to. Even though the rules might imply that you're not to sell products on Ljs this has not been enforced (as far as I know)since I've been a member.I think it has not been a big issue because most of the items or services offered for sale are on Ljs are usually few and far between each offering on a one post basis.

In general I've found that letting these kind of issues bother me takes away from my enjoying LJs.

If you want clarification on this issue you might PM Cricket.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim,

What bothers me is the fact that there are so many that want honest and real information, not sales pitch, every time a particular topics comes up.

For example, one post that I looked recently pushes people to his website with all sorts of paid advertizing from a well known retail woodworking suppy.

You for one should have seen and know what exactly what I'm talking about due to your tenure here at Lumberjocks.

And I have, on a previos occasion, sent a PM to Cricket concerning this same topic, with "0" response.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I agree… then again, I'd hate to see the perpetual forum post from stumpy that promotes his site (that he makes $$ on) just because of a rule like this. He promotes some very good and entertaining stuff. The moderator could pick and choose but then again would it be fair?

Sorry to use you as an example Stumpy… but it makes a point.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You mean "so make him…"

What are you really angry about? If it really bothers you that people are advertising and selling their wares here, then you really need to take it up with site administration. Otherwise, you're just venting to a bunch of people, many of whom are indifferent or disagree with you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.