LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the feeling this is a really dumb question but hey, I'm feeling adventurous…

I was building a slipform stonemasonry form tonight, it's just two pieces of plywood spaced by two 1"x6". You can think of it as an oversized pizza box sitting on the table but with the front and back panel cut out. Well, if you liked your pizza 6" thick, anyway.

Because the plywood rips weren't perfect, I measured and marked some right angles on the plywood so I effectively had a rectangle marked on the not-so-rectangular plywood.

I then marked some spots for holes and drilled pilots. So far, so good.

But now I need to drill holes in the edges of the 1"x6" side boards so the screws match up. How do I accomplish this?

The way I did it was to put screws through the plywood just a little bit then sorta eyeball the boards middle points and press, indenting the spacer boards with the protruding screw points, then drilling there. It worked well enough to get the job done but hardly precise.

Halp?

Thanks much in advance!

·
Banned
589 Posts
clamp (or otherwise temporarily affix) some 1-by stock to the plywood, placing them just outside of the scribed rectangle.
This will allow you to butt your 1×6 up against them so that you can drill through the existing holes in the plywood and into your 1×6's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clamp (or otherwise temporarily affix) some 1-by stock to the plywood, placing them just outside of the scribed rectangle.
This will allow you to butt your 1×6 up against them so that you can drill through the existing holes in the plywood and into your 1×6 s.
Yep. As they say, it's always important to know which hole you are going in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.