Hirsch - Mortise Chisels (Rating: 5)

The first photo and description of the set of chisels from Lee Valley website is as follows, which gives some of the technical details.

These are massive chisels for quickly wasting material from deep mortises. The 1/2" thick, high-carbon steel blades (Rc61) taper in width from tip to shoulder for sidewall clearance when cutting deep mortises. The 6-1/2" hooped hornbeam handles are oversize for grip and have leather shock washers.

About 13" to 14" long overall, these are hefty tools.

Made in Germany.

Kitchen utensil Wood Tool Cylinder Gas

The handles are huge, takes a bit of getting used to, but once you spend some time with them, they are very enjoyable to work with. If you have small hands, you may want to pass on them.

Wood Satellite phone Gun accessory Bottle cap Drink

Wood Screwdriver Tool Cylinder Gas

Comparison to the same size in a Narex mortise chisel.

Tire Wood Finger Thumb Wrist

I do like the flat spot on the Narex handles, I found the large round handles of the Hirsch tended to want to roll when I laid the chisels down (especially the smallest one - 1/4").

Wood Finger Tool Engineering Flooring

Also liked the addition of the leather shock washers, seems to absorb a good amount of the impact in the handle.

The only negative thing is the tiny plastic / silicone covers for the chisel ends - I already lost or vacuumed up one of them. Would have appreciated more substantial end protection, perhaps a heavy plastic cap.

Wood Hardwood Tire Electric blue Wood stain

Of course, this could be resolved with a dedicated drawer for them…

Overall, I would highly recommend them. I used the chisels to complete the mortises required on my new workbench built this past winter.

Very nice to use, easy to work with, and hard to misplace with the bright yellow handles!

I did buy mine one at a time over a period of a few months from Lee Valley, they ranged in price from $45.00 to $55.00.
They are available in sizes from 1/4" to 5/8" (actually sized and labeled in mm).

If I have not covered something you wish to know, please let me know and I would be happy to add my thoughts!