LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Adventure Begins

Well, this is my first blog post ever, anywhere!

This past spring I bought my first house. I had a minimum requirement of a 3 car garage since i have a few toys and need an area to work on stuff. Well, i got lucky and found a builder to builds a house that has an attached 20×40 RV garage :) Once i saw that, i had to have it. This series of posts is about my adventures building my work shop in the Man Cave. Just a FYI, i didn't name it that, the builder actually did :) Luckily for me, the house had everything the wife wanted as well.

Now that i am settled in i wanted to start on my work shop. I dont have a lot of experience nor a lot of tools, so i wanted something that was faiirly easy to build. It also had to look good and fit within my budget. I decided on some plans from plansnow. It was a Build Your Own Custom Workshop Plan featured in Shop Notes Issue #97. I choose this plan because i really liked the way it looked, it uses cheap materials and it can be easily customized.

The cheap material part is real important, as i dont want to sped a ton, and from past experience, i tend to ruin a lot of wood before i get it just the way i want it.

I actually started this project back in November, but LJ just allowed me to sign up now, so im playing a bit of catch up. After Thanks Giving i went and selected my 2×4s from Lowes. Took me 2 trips and about 2 hours to going through the pile to find boards that were straight and had few knots. I brought them home and let them sit for about a month.

I also ordered all my hardware online and more then enough screws, hehe.

In the mean time, i decided it would be a good idea to get a Jointer so i can straighten up at least one side of the 2×4 so its easier to rip on the table saw. I decided to get the Ridgid 6" Jointer. You can see a pic of it below.

Table Desk Wood Engineering Gas

I also decided i wanted a larger and newer drill press. So i purchases a Jet 17" drill press and set that up. If you watch the video at plansnow, you can see i need to drill a lot of holes. Each corner piece has 3 holes in it, and the plans call for 76 pieces. So far i love this drill press. Lots of power, easy to change speeds and accurate.

Table Wood Floor Flooring Window

The next post ill talk about how i started construction.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Adventure Begins

This past spring I bought my first house. I had a minimum requirement of a 3 car garage since i have a few toys and need an area to work on stuff. Well, i got lucky and found a builder to builds a house that has an attached 20×40 RV garage :) Once i saw that, i had to have it. This series of posts is about my adventures building my work shop in the Man Cave. Just a FYI, i didn't name it that, the builder actually did :) Luckily for me, the house had everything the wife wanted as well.

Now that i am settled in i wanted to start on my work shop. I dont have a lot of experience nor a lot of tools, so i wanted something that was faiirly easy to build. It also had to look good and fit within my budget. I decided on some plans from plansnow. It was a Build Your Own Custom Workshop Plan featured in Shop Notes Issue #97. I choose this plan because i really liked the way it looked, it uses cheap materials and it can be easily customized.

The cheap material part is real important, as i dont want to sped a ton, and from past experience, i tend to ruin a lot of wood before i get it just the way i want it.

I actually started this project back in November, but LJ just allowed me to sign up now, so im playing a bit of catch up. After Thanks Giving i went and selected my 2×4s from Lowes. Took me 2 trips and about 2 hours to going through the pile to find boards that were straight and had few knots. I brought them home and let them sit for about a month.

In the mean time, i decided it would be a good idea to get a Jointer so i can straighten up at least one side of the 2×4 so its easier to rip on the table saw. I decided to get the Ridgid 6" Jointer. You can see a pic of it below.

I also decided i wanted a larger and newer drill press. So i purchases a Jet 17" drill press and set that up. If you watch the video at plansnow, you can see i need to drill a lot of holes. Each corner piece has 3 holes in it, and the plans call for 76 pieces. So far i love this drill press. Lots of power, easy to change speeds and accurate.

That is a wonderful garage. I think it is as big as my house!!!
I look forward to watching your work cave coming to life in your blogs.
It looks like a fun and very rewarding project.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Adventure Begins

Building stuff for workshop is the fun part! I am in that same stage and I am now building my cabinets, storage racks, benches and the like in my new small shop. My suggestion is to try to make look as best you can, dress it up a little bit, you will appreciate having nice looking shop furniture. And have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Adventure Begins

Good luck with the build. Looks like you have a great start. Keep us posted

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The Adventure Begins

Great space for a workshop; I'm jealous. Building shop cabinets & stuff can be really fun but also time consuming. Buti it is a great way to develop your woodworking skills. If a shop cabinet doesn't come out prefect, it's not a bid deal because it's a shop cabinet. Look forward to seeing future posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Adventure Begins

Looks like you have a good start going. I am going to follow your lead. I just moved into a new home and have an empty space of 10' x 15' in my garage. I do have the Shop Notes you referred to above and I plan to take a few ideas from that and put them in my shop. I'll be leaning on the fellow members for suggestions. Good luck. I should be posting soon as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Properties of Wood

I learned an important lesson here today. Wood shrinks, especially when you expose end grain and drill holes in it.

I decided on this project that it would be easier if i just batch created parts. It would be less setup and less hassle. So i resawed a couple 2×4's down to 1" thick x 2-9/16" wide and 5-11/16" long. Drilled my 3 holes per the instructions of the plan and threw it in a box. I only work on the weekends for the most part, so it took me about 2 weekends to get the 100 blocks cut and drilled. I had to build a jig etc in there as well.

On to creating the platform supports. These are simply 2×4s cut to 2" wide and either 16-3/4" or 23-3/4" long with a 1/2" rabbet in them. I created enough to do the 2 tower units in the plan.

You can see a pic below of what the platforms look like with everything labeled.

Product Font Line Parallel Slope

Now to assembly. Lined up the 2 boards, put glue on the corner block and drove in the screw…only that didnt work. I couldn't hold the board tight enough, the screw didnt bring the boards together tight enough and it was just a plain mess. When i did finally get a platform put together, i put a square to it and guess what, not square. Come to find out, my corner blocks had shrunk, and they were slightly off 45 degrees, maybe 43-44 degrees, and also were 1/32" thinner. Shoot me now, pretty much every one of the 100 i made were no good!!! Lesson learned, build them as you need them.

So i created just enough for 6 platforms and assembled them. Long story short i ended up creating what you see below, using a rockler square that i just bought and some clamps so i could get nice tight joints. I also created a mini post to push everything up against in the square.

Wood Flooring Chair Toy Electric blue

Wood Machine gun Shotgun Musical instrument Machine

And, all done, you can also see a piece of a shelf sitting in the platform. Its not attached as the plans dont say to attach them. So i assume they just sit in the rabbets. I also havent cut the corners on the shelf yet.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The Properties of Wood

I learned an important lesson here today. Wood shrinks, especially when you expose end grain and drill holes in it.

I decided on this project that it would be easier if i just batch created parts. It would be less setup and less hassle. So i resawed a couple 2×4's down to 1" thick x 2-9/16" wide and 5-11/16" long. Drilled my 3 holes per the instructions of the plan and threw it in a box. I only work on the weekends for the most part, so it took me about 2 weekends to get the 100 blocks cut and drilled. I had to build a jig etc in there as well.

On to creating the platform supports. These are simply 2×4s cut to 2" wide and either 16-3/4" or 23-3/4" long with a 1/2" rabbet in them. I created enough to do the 2 tower units in the plan.

You can see a pic below of what the platforms look like with everything labeled.

Product Font Line Parallel Slope

Now to assembly. Lined up the 2 boards, put glue on the corner block and drove in the screw…only that didnt work. I couldn't hold the board tight enough, the screw didnt bring the boards together tight enough and it was just a plain mess. When i did finally get a platform put together, i put a square to it and guess what, not square. Come to find out, my corner blocks had shrunk, and they were slightly off 45 degrees, maybe 43-44 degrees, and also were 1/32" thinner. Shoot me now, pretty much every one of the 100 i made were no good!!! Lesson learned, build them as you need them.

So i created just enough for 6 platforms and assembled them. Long story short i ended up creating what you see below, using a rockler square that i just bought and some clamps so i could get nice tight joints. I also created a mini post to push everything up against in the square.

Wood Flooring Chair Toy Electric blue

Wood Machine gun Shotgun Musical instrument Machine

And, all done, you can also see a piece of a shelf sitting in the platform. Its not attached as the plans dont say to attach them. So i assume they just sit in the rabbets. I also havent cut the corners on the shelf yet.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Ah the wonders of wood, Most home center 2×4's are still a little damp, resawing them then cutting into blocks at same time probably caused this. Resawing opens new pores in the wood, you probably need to let the wood aclimate to your shop again.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Epic Fail

Wow, 2 posts in a day! I am trying to catch up to where i am actually at, and am hoping for some advice.

Two days ago, i assembled my storage locker frame (sanded and finished a couple days before that).

Wood Table Creative arts Art Hardwood

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Engineering

I took 2 platforms, and finger tightened them to the posts in the MIDDLE of the posts. I figure this way, i can work outwards and it would cause less stress on the platforms. So i then tightened up those 2 platforms and installed the remaining 2 towards the bottom of the posts. All went good and they drew the carriage bolts into the wood just fine. Except for 1, one of the middle ones i realized i didn't draw it in enough, so i went back and tighten it some more and i hear CRACK, the glue joint let go and screw was allowing joint to deflect. Now this board was a bit thinner so i figured it just didn't have enough glue surface.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Plank

So i continued on, installing the 2 platforms towards the top. Got 3 of the 4 bolts in on the first platform and boom, another joint let go, ok, that sucks, on to the last platform. Well the last platform i barely tightened down and the joint let go…at this point im ticked off, and stopped for the night, next morning i come out and see that 3 of the 4 joints on the top two platforms, the glue let go. I am pretty sure they let go the night before just not sure at what point.

Building Wood Window Stairs House

Notice the gap in the lower left hand corner block? Now only the screw is holding it in, which you cant tighten at all as the screw just allows the block to deflect.

A couple more pics showing the gap on other pieces..

Building Wood House Beam Shade

Wood Shade Wood stain Beam Hardwood

So, at this point, I'm starting to wonder if i should continue using these plans. Obviously i have to redo some things and make these platforms stronger. I am not sure what happened or why some of them i could crank down and some just seemed to let go with very little force.

Some things i noticed and rambling thoughts…

1) Gluing and nailing the shelf to the platform would certainly strengthen it by a lot and i kinda doubt this would have happened. What i dont understand though, is the plans show every single screw and tell you which pieces to glue. The only thing they say about the shelf is,

The shelf is then wrapped with a
rabbeted front, back, and ends.
Now, there are a couple things
I want to point out. First, the rabbeted
pieces don't extend the full
length and width of the shelf, as
illustrated in the Top View of Figure
2. What this does is create a
notch on each corner. This notch
is where the posts fi t and give the
cabinets their rigidity.

Theres no fastener in the diagram or anything. So i assumed they just sat in the platform. Treeman here on Lumberjocks who also used this plan, said that he brad nailed his shelf to the platform and never had the issues im experiencing. Somewhat confirming it could possibly help.

2) I took one platform apart and it looks like very little wood was torn out. I am going to take a pic of this tonight and post it. Isn't glue suppose to tear the wood out before the glue lets go? I know i messed up on one platform and i tried to break it apart and had to really whack at the corner piece to get it off and it took out like 1/4" of the wood with it.

3) The screw isnt holding as well as i would like, so i thought about trying to use my kreg pocket hole jig and use 2 pocket holes on each side of the corner block to fasten making it stronger.

4) Some of the joints (only tried 1 or 2 that didn't break), i could tighten enough that it was actually crushing the wood corner block!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Epic Fail

Wow, 2 posts in a day! I am trying to catch up to where i am actually at, and am hoping for some advice.

Two days ago, i assembled my storage locker frame (sanded and finished a couple days before that).

I took 2 platforms, and finger tightened them to the posts in the MIDDLE of the posts. I figure this way, i can work outwards and it would cause less stress on the platforms. So i then tightened up those 2 platforms and installed the remaining 2 towards the bottom of the posts. All went good and they drew the carriage bolts into the wood just fine. Except for 1, one of the middle ones i realized i didn't draw it in enough, so i went back and tighten it some more and i hear CRACK, the glue joint let go and screw was allowing joint to deflect. Now this board was a bit thinner so i figured it just didn't have enough glue surface.

So i continued on, installing the 2 platforms towards the top. Got 3 of the 4 bolts in on the first platform and boom, another joint let go, ok, that sucks, on to the last platform. Well the last platform i barely tightened down and the joint let go…at this point im ticked off, and stopped for the night, next morning i come out and see that 3 of the 4 joints on the top two platforms, the glue let go. I am pretty sure they let go the night before just not sure at what point.

Notice the gap in the lower left hand corner block? Now only the screw is holding it in, which you cant tighten at all as the screw just allows the block to deflect.

So, at this point, I'm starting to wonder if i should continue using these plans. Obviously i have to redo some things and make these platforms stronger. I am not sure what happened or why some of them i could crank down and some just seemed to let go with very little force.

1) Gluing and nailing the shelf to the platform would certainly strengthen it by a lot and i kinda doubt this would have happened. What i dont understand though, is the plans show every single screw and tell you which pieces to glue. The only thing they say about the shelf is,

cabinets their rigidity.

Theres no fastener in the diagram or anything. So i assumed they just sat in the platform. Treeman here on Lumberjocks who also used this plan, said that he brad nailed his shelf to the platform and never had the issues im experiencing. Somewhat confirming it could possibly help.

2) I took one platform apart and it looks like very little wood was torn out. I am going to take a pic of this tonight and post it. Isn't glue suppose to tear the wood out before the glue lets go? I know i messed up on one platform and i tried to break it apart and had to really whack at the corner piece to get it off and it took out like 1/4" of the wood with it.

3) The screw isnt holding as well as i would like, so i thought about trying to use my kreg pocket hole jig and use 2 pocket holes on each side of the corner block to fasten making it stronger.

4) Some of the joints (only tried 1 or 2 that didn't break), i could tighten enough that it was actually crushing the wood corner block!
Drawing the carriage bolts into the wood means that you're putting a significant force on a wedge with nothing to hold it but the, more or less, end-grain glue joints.

1) You could glue the platform material on the frames before installing them in the posts which would give you some long-grain joints.

2) Countersink the holes for the carriage bolt heads; then you wouldn't need to apply anywhere near as much force on the joints.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Epic Fail

cabinets their rigidity.

That end grain to long grain glue joint just isn't going to be very strong. Attaching the shelf surface first, as suggested above, will give you a much more rigid assembly. I'd glue that down in addition to the brads that treeman used.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Epic Fail

cabinets their rigidity.

I'm beginning to think you glue/nail the shelf to the platform, thats how the plan creator intended but just didnt specify. I looked over the plans again today, and i noticed that for the MDF top, it says to wrap it in solid wood and shows it in the diagram, but doesnt tell you how to attach it, it just says wrap, there no nails/screws etc. So You have to attach it somehow.

Found another spot in the plans where they make a small wall shelf, well the diagram has to be missing some screws somewhere, as theres no way it would hold to the wall. How does piece BBB attach? gluing/nailing shelf top would make more sense.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Diagram

Based on the last 2 finds, im thinking it was left out for some reason or the creator thought it was obvious.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A New Beginning

After my joints broke since my last blog post. I decided to use the plans i had as a guide, and design my own cabinets. After a couple weeks of thinking about it here and there, getting some new wood from a real lumber yard and letting it dry out. This is what i came up with.

all cabinets are 30 in. wide inside. So, 34" overall width.

1 of 2 small cabinet units.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Rectangle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Wood Wood stain Floor Hardwood Gas

1 of 2 large tower cabinet units.

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Tread Automotive tire Wood

Vehicle Wood Plant Floor Flooring

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

I am a little disappointed in how much flex or racking exists in the towers. The smaller units are rock solid. But both towers will sway quite a bit. prolly 1-3 inches. I am putting a back on all of them as you can see in one of the pics. Im fitting the back to it. So that will make it solid. The towers are VERY strong though. Im 210 lbs, as a test, i put both my hands together int he middle of that 30" top shelf, and hung on it. Not even a creak! And thats without the back too. As far as i can tell it wasn't flexing either. So mission accomplished in the downward force area.

All lumber is 2×4 and 2×6 lumber that i jointed and planed to 1.25" thick. This cleaned up the wood a lot and made it look nice. The 2×4's were really rough looking. The 2×6 though were pretty nice for the most part. But they still looked better after i jointed and planed. The quality of the wood was also pretty good. Most the wood hardly moved at all over the last 2 months since i bought it. So there is some truth to buying from a real lumber yard.
All the joints are Kreg joints. I really like my kreg jig. The posts are 2 pieces glued and screwed together using my kreg jig. What i wasn't expecting is how hard it is to attach the boards perfectly flush with each other. I ended up buying a belt sander from harbor freight which made quick work of leveling them out. My glue (tightbond III) was also drying very fast. Thats one thing about phoenix that i don't like. My paint and glue etc dries extremely quickly.

This whole project is taking a lot longer then i expected. Planing and jointing the wood takes a lot of time. Though i feel its worth it as the end product is a lot nicer looking and things tend to line up better. I am a little disappointed though on the platforms. I'm having hard time cutting the plywood exactly to fit. Sometimes to big, sometimes to small. When its too big i use the belt sander to level it out, but the problem with that is its very difficult to maintain a perfect flat 90 degree surface which ends up showing up when i put the units together.
My table saw isn't big enough so i have to use straight edges, which takes a while to line up. I think my next purchase might be a larger table saw.

Overall im pleased how its turning out considering its my first wood working project.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
15,066 Posts
A New Beginning

After my joints broke since my last blog post. I decided to use the plans i had as a guide, and design my own cabinets. After a couple weeks of thinking about it here and there, getting some new wood from a real lumber yard and letting it dry out. This is what i came up with.

all cabinets are 30 in. wide inside. So, 34" overall width.

1 of 2 small cabinet units.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Rectangle

Wood Wood stain Floor Hardwood Gas

1 of 2 large tower cabinet units.

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Tread Automotive tire Wood

Vehicle Wood Plant Floor Flooring

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

I am a little disappointed in how much flex or racking exists in the towers. The smaller units are rock solid. But both towers will sway quite a bit. prolly 1-3 inches. I am putting a back on all of them as you can see in one of the pics. Im fitting the back to it. So that will make it solid. The towers are VERY strong though. Im 210 lbs, as a test, i put both my hands together int he middle of that 30" top shelf, and hung on it. Not even a creak! And thats without the back too. As far as i can tell it wasn't flexing either. So mission accomplished in the downward force area.

All lumber is 2×4 and 2×6 lumber that i jointed and planed to 1.25" thick. This cleaned up the wood a lot and made it look nice. The 2×4's were really rough looking. The 2×6 though were pretty nice for the most part. But they still looked better after i jointed and planed. The quality of the wood was also pretty good. Most the wood hardly moved at all over the last 2 months since i bought it. So there is some truth to buying from a real lumber yard.
All the joints are Kreg joints. I really like my kreg jig. The posts are 2 pieces glued and screwed together using my kreg jig. What i wasn't expecting is how hard it is to attach the boards perfectly flush with each other. I ended up buying a belt sander from harbor freight which made quick work of leveling them out. My glue (tightbond III) was also drying very fast. Thats one thing about phoenix that i don't like. My paint and glue etc dries extremely quickly.

This whole project is taking a lot longer then i expected. Planing and jointing the wood takes a lot of time. Though i feel its worth it as the end product is a lot nicer looking and things tend to line up better. I am a little disappointed though on the platforms. I'm having hard time cutting the plywood exactly to fit. Sometimes to big, sometimes to small. When its too big i use the belt sander to level it out, but the problem with that is its very difficult to maintain a perfect flat 90 degree surface which ends up showing up when i put the units together.
My table saw isn't big enough so i have to use straight edges, which takes a while to line up. I think my next purchase might be a larger table saw.

Overall im pleased how its turning out considering its my first wood working project.
Get one of those straight edges that clamps across sheet stock,use a speed square toi square it to the stock, and youre good to go.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.