LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Makita DF03DW Driver

I was at my favorite ACE Hardware store today and they were blowin' these out for $79, normally $149. Nice size, feels good in the hand, lightweight. 200in-lbs of torque, adjustable clutch (a feature I really like), headlight (not so enamored with that but I didn't like snake lights either till I got my first one for free), comes with battery, charger and case.

I could see having this around for light duty stuff, so I'm wondering if it is a good tool and if that is a good deal? Is it discontinued? I Googled it and they seem to be selling for way more then that currently.

· Registered
574 Posts
I think that's a great deal, especially for a makita (I paid just shy of $200 for a Porter Cable drill / impact combo with a pair of 2x Li-Ion batteries and charger, and I think it was very worth it.) IMHO impact drivers are the kinds of tool that you can easily live without…until you start using them and then wonder how you made it this far without one lol. Mine practically melts screws into the wood.

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL This is not a combo kit though, just the one, I think I had a extra zero in the part number at first.

I just picked up an DeWalt 18V Li-ion impact driver that has 1,330in-lbs of torque, that's like 103ft-lbs, non-adjustable so I was thiking this Makita could do the light work and it is lighter and smaller to get in places.

I sometimes can't pass up what looks like a really good deal when I see a good use for something. But, I walked out of the store without it and thought I'd check it out and ask. I maybe really don't need it but my VersaPak Screwdriver which I like and use (the only VersaPak tool I own) is old and the batteries are expensive now.

· Registered
35 Posts
I have the combo kit also and it rocks. I have the 9 piece dewalt combo also and since getting the makitas they are the only drill and impact I use. I have used the impact for putting together a playset for my kids and never had an issue driving 3inch lag screws into pressure treated 4×4s. Can't say enough about them. Love them cause they are so light yet pack the power. Go to Hd and get the combo kit.

· Registered
592 Posts
if it's 200 in.lbs with an adjustable clutch, it's not an impact. It's the regular drill/driver.The impact driver has 800 in.lbs of force. still a good little drill for the shop. I do alot of stuff with my combo pack.

· Registered
1,312 Posts
This is what I'm looking to replace only because of the VersaPak batteries, otherwise it still works well and I do like it. (cant' believe I said that about B&D LOL)

I looked at a Milwaukee and Makita straight ones like this but this DF03 is looking good and maybe a handled one is better then a straight one? I liked the straight because it can get in tight spots but sometimes its length is the problem, so Idoeknow, I'm on the fence.

· Premium Member
20,131 Posts
Not in battery tools! First battery drill I bought was Milwaukee because of their reputation in the tool world. Totally worthless piece of junk:-(( Went to Mikita, then Rigid.

· Registered
30 Posts

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Curt, I just tried to get my model number and torque rates from mine, but to worn. Mine will snap those screws from HD and Lowe's so I use McFeelys. I can bury a 4' #10 fine thread into oak with no problem.
I've been using Makita for over 30 years and never had a bad tool. You will be very happy with this tool.

· Registered
1,312 Posts
DrBob, thanks but those reviews are nice but individual needs/likes/wants make just showing which some places pick as the best not that useful to me. I like to see and compare the specs and as far as reviews/tests go a grade system that shows the results of each of the tests for comparison. Then a person can pick which one is best suited for them based on how they're going to use it. And user reviews can be biased because well, they bought it they must have liked it and brand loyalty usually weighs in. I like to see head to head tests with the specs and grading and then use that to weigh the advantages/disadvantages and how I'm going to use the tool when deciding which ones to consider. A list without that type of information instead based on what a few places decided is best without the in depth details of how they determine such isn't enough for me to go on.

lilred, thanks, I'm leaning towards picking it up, wonder if they'll be open tomorrow…

And I just changed the OP and removed the word Impact, as childress mentioned I was mistaken when I thought this was an Impact driver which is ok because I already have an impact driver and am looking for a screwdriver.

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I done did it. I went and bought the Makita. On my way there I'm thinking maybe the Milwaukee M12 might be better, so I checked it out. Nope. Less torque, more money. Same with the Bosch. But they only had the display Makita left. With power tools that doesn't bother me, at least from this place, they are extremely good at not losing anything that comes with display models. (Got my $499 PC compressor for $263 that way, and my Delta Chop Saw, and my PC 14" Metal Saw, etc.) But a battery tool displayed with the battery in it, I was ready to pass. Luckily this is a chain of 4 ACE's owned by a family and another store not too far away had five. Road trip!

And when I got it home and opened it I was surprised to find a bit kit with it, had no idea it came with that, don't really need the bits but I'll take 'em! And a hostler, doubt I'll use it but nice touch. So far I'm impressed. And I was only expecting one battery and got two, another plus, so one's charging. This could almost be a gloat.

And I had the model number wrong, I thought it was a DF03D, thought I read that on the display model, but it's a DF030D and the kit is a DF030DW.

So out of the three contenders, Bosch, Milwaukee, and Mikita, in choosing Mikita I think I done good!

· Registered
1,312 Posts
Yes, just a screwdriver which was what I was looking for for a while now.

Once the batteries were charged which didn't take long at all I took 'er for a test spin. Plenty of torque for my needs. I took a 1/4"x3" lag bolt and screwed 2 2×2's together without a pilot hole and on low speed it buried the head till it couldn't grip it anymore and slipped. Nice.

I also took a closer look at that bit kit, very nice well rounded kit, I will be using that. It's got a lot of bits, torx, square, Allan, multiples of straight and Phillips, nut drivers, drill bits, etc., so I will be using it. Nice touch.

This was a good score.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.