LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally have a toddler to make toys for!

I've always wanted to make things for children. I finally have a toddler to make something for in the family. My nephews came along before I was really into woodworking for fun. So now a small niece is in the picture. This is what I'm making her for Christmas.

http://www.meiselwoodhobby.com/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?id=42983

It looks like a real fun project. They have a little weiner dog so hopefully she'll like this.

I didn't get much done today - but it's a start. I'm really happy to have found a simple project that I can do for Christmas. It does not take much machine work and I can do most of it with my hand tools.

This is the seat portion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The hardware pack is pretty good. The wheels look like good quality. They say the wheels won't mar wood floors - I hope they are right.

Photobucket

·
Registered
13,709 Posts

I've always wanted to make things for children. I finally have a toddler to make something for in the family. My nephews came along before I was really into woodworking for fun. So now a small niece is in the picture. This is what I'm making her for Christmas.

It looks like a real fun project. They have a little weiner dog so hopefully she'll like this.

I didn't get much done today - but it's a start. I'm really happy to have found a simple project that I can do for Christmas. It does not take much machine work and I can do most of it with my hand tools.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The hardware pack is pretty good. The wheels look like good quality. They say the wheels won't mar wood floors - I hope they are right.

Photobucket
Well this opens up a whole new line of projects!!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished "puppy" AND the smiles on your niece's face.

Lew

·
Registered
262 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
You know Betsy that is gonna be a real nice "feel good" project. Of course you are going to post a pic when it is finished. More woodworkers should make toys….they would be surprised at how much they would enjoy it & it sure brings the scrap bin under control in a more productive way than burning them.

Lee

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slow process - but getting there

I'm making some progress on the dog scooter. It's starting to look like a scooter at least. I still have to fit the box joints which join the front legs to lazy susan portion of the legs. I think I'll be able to get it mostly put together this weekend. I'll spend some time rounding the edges and giving it a smooth paint coat. Hopefully, I'll get it finished up before Thanksgiving as I'm going to take it to a friend at work to paint the face for me.

Photobucket

It has been a fun project so far. A good feel good project for sure. I've been able to use a lot of hand tools to make the project.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

I'm making some progress on the dog scooter. It's starting to look like a scooter at least. I still have to fit the box joints which join the front legs to lazy susan portion of the legs. I think I'll be able to get it mostly put together this weekend. I'll spend some time rounding the edges and giving it a smooth paint coat. Hopefully, I'll get it finished up before Thanksgiving as I'm going to take it to a friend at work to paint the face for me.

Photobucket

It has been a fun project so far. A good feel good project for sure. I've been able to use a lot of hand tools to make the project.
Yes it is starting to look like a scooter.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts

Photobucket

Looks Great, Betsy! Bet you can't wait to see the looks on their faces!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slow but steady progress

Still working on the dog scooter. Making a little progress. I have to admit to not being a big fan of those paper plans - but it seems to be going OK. Hopefully my friends niece will like it.

Photobucket

I need to fit the lazy susan mechanism and then I'm ready to do some final sanding and actually putting it together. I'm planning to paint it before I assemble it - in hopes that will help me do a better paint job. (Can always hope.)

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Slow but steady progress

Still working on the dog scooter. Making a little progress. I have to admit to not being a big fan of those paper plans - but it seems to be going OK. Hopefully my friends niece will like it.

Photobucket

I need to fit the lazy susan mechanism and then I'm ready to do some final sanding and actually putting it together. I'm planning to paint it before I assemble it - in hopes that will help me do a better paint job. (Can always hope.)

Thanks for looking.
Looks good. What is the Lazy Susan mechanism for?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Slow but steady progress

Photobucket

Thanks for looking.
My guess would be that the lazy susan bearing mounts between the seat & the front wheels U frame for the steering. It's looking good Betsy even tho your not impressed with paper patterns.

Lee

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Slow but steady progress

Photobucket

Thanks for looking.
Awwwww nice doggie.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Slow but steady progress

Photobucket

Thanks for looking.
Betsy,

You should have had this when you were laid up. It would have been easier to get around! You could have ridden this guy to the mail box and back!!

Nice Job!!

Lew

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slow but steady progress

Photobucket

Thanks for looking.
Thanks all!

Lew--that would have made a spectacle! But it would have been fun riding.

Andra - Lee is right - the lazy susan is between the two main portions of the front legs and allows the child to steer the dog around.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A heady question - need a lesson help

I'm getting ready to assemble my little scooter. I've drilled the hole in the head to accept the dowel. The plan calls for only gluing the dowel into the hole. But I'm wondering if I should drill a second hole through the side of the head and into the dowel and insert a cross dowel (1/4"). I'm thinking that between the glue and the cross dowel the joint would last a lot longer.

I'm thinking of drilling the hole for a cross dowel at the black dot on the pattern.

Photobucket

What do you think? Is this necessary, or overkill?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

I'm getting ready to assemble my little scooter. I've drilled the hole in the head to accept the dowel. The plan calls for only gluing the dowel into the hole. But I'm wondering if I should drill a second hole through the side of the head and into the dowel and insert a cross dowel (1/4"). I'm thinking that between the glue and the cross dowel the joint would last a lot longer.

I'm thinking of drilling the hole for a cross dowel at the black dot on the pattern.

Photobucket

Use the right glue and it should be fine as long as the fit is not loose. I love making toys for the little ones as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Photobucket

Betsy, the cross dowel can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Photobucket

Overkill never hurts any project, I'd go with two.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Photobucket

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure my thinking was sound.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Need some asthetics advise

OK - so now the folks on the forum have told me how to paint PVC with success.

Now I would like your opinion if painting the PVC is even necessary.

Would you paint the PVC tubing between the wheels?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'd really like your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't Betsy, It will not stay on very well. It will always look good the way it is now.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks in advance.
I think that it looks very good just the way it is. 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.