LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am going to make the much needed crosscut sled that everyone says they don't know how they got by without once they built one. I am ready to see what I am missing.

I have looking a alot of different sleds from very basic to very complex. One thing I have noticed that I dont quite understand is some of them have some sort of bolts through the bottom of the sled into the fence that the piece of lumber that you are cutting backs up against.

My question is how easily can a fence get off? Now that I think about it, maybe the reason is because you may not build your sled perfectly square and it may need adjusting.

Anyways, what is the best method for making my fence adjustable? Any photos or plans would be great!

Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, I really like your methods. We will see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I always make my runners ~1/16" thinner than the depth of the miter slot(s) so they will clear a bit of debris in the slot(s) without hanging up. It's the side contact that's important, not the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.