LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fallen Tree

This will be my first official non shop-furniture project so i thought i'd document it.

I just finished up a lathe table from a design in shop notes, issue 10 this past weekend. I wired up the lathe Sunday afternoon then went inside to watch the hockey game… halfway through the second period - boom! There was a horrible noise… a drunk driver had swerved off the road and uprooted a maple tree in front of my house! It was 3:30 in the afternoon!!! Luckily no one was hurt. The car was no longer drivable and the police arrived as the guy was taking off on foot!

Well, I was looking for a first project for the lathe, so this was as good as any… the tree was on the township's property, but when they came to clear it, I had them leave the trunk. I figure I could make a few pepper mills out of it? maybe a carver's mallet? We'll see what i'm left with… more to come

Lathe table prior to wiring up and attaching the lathe

Fallen tree

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Fallen Tree

This will be my first official non shop-furniture project so i thought i'd document it.

I just finished up a lathe table from a design in shop notes, issue 10 this past weekend. I wired up the lathe Sunday afternoon then went inside to watch the hockey game… halfway through the second period - boom! There was a horrible noise… a drunk driver had swerved off the road and uprooted a maple tree in front of my house! It was 3:30 in the afternoon!!! Luckily no one was hurt. The car was no longer drivable and the police arrived as the guy was taking off on foot!

Well, I was looking for a first project for the lathe, so this was as good as any… the tree was on the township's property, but when they came to clear it, I had them leave the trunk. I figure I could make a few pepper mills out of it? maybe a carver's mallet? We'll see what i'm left with… more to come

Fallen tree

I think the smaller tree saved the drivers life.

He'd have never survived if he hit the larger tree.

You didn't say what kind of lathe you have, it looks older than mine.

You'll have just as much fun with this, as with a new one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fallen Tree

Fallen tree

The lathe is actually my great gradfather's! Most of the power tools in my shop are old handy me downs or finds at second hand tool stores, but this one has to be the oldest… I can't find any markings or serial number on this lathe anywhere! It has 4 speeds i guess because there are 4 different sized wheels for the vbelt…

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Fallen Tree

Fallen tree

So the hockey game didn't inspire you to tackle the getaway drunk? ha..

Glad that the tree was the only thing hurt. Nice looking table and good luck with the projects.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roughing out the blanks

Following the advice of some folks on a turning forum, I roughed out the trunk. I had to avoid gashes left by the car and some knots, but I think I ended up with 4 pretty nice blanks?

After turning, I brought the blanks inside and dipped the ends in wax… I'll come back to them in a few weeks… stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Roughing out the blanks

Following the advice of some folks on a turning forum, I roughed out the trunk. I had to avoid gashes left by the car and some knots, but I think I ended up with 4 pretty nice blanks?

After turning, I brought the blanks inside and dipped the ends in wax… I'll come back to them in a few weeks… stay tuned!

good timing… lathe table complete, tree being hit? Better turning it than burning it. Nice job on the table.

Years back we had an ice storm that took out many trees in the neighborhood… straight 40+ footers of maple, oak, hickory… and they all went to the huge disaster clean up pile where they were eventually burned in a mammoth bonfire… what a waste of good lumber.

Is that hot wax on the ends to keep the green wood from drying too fast?

·
In Loving Memory
10,667 Posts
Roughing out the blanks

Nice turning job. Latex paint works well also instead of wax.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Roughing out the blanks

Nobodies woodpile is safe anymore, now that you have a lathe.

I've had great results by brushing on a couple of coats of carpenters glue on the ends.

It's also safer than melting wax.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Roughing out the blanks

Have you turned anything out of the maple yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roughing out the blanks

Alan: I haven't turned anything yet…

Unfortunately, all but one of the 7 blanks cracked on me!! There were knots in all the cracked ones… i guess you learn the hard way??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Roughing out the blanks

ahh shoot. I'm new to turning and working with green wood did they crack at the ends were you waxed them or around the knots?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roughing out the blanks

around the knots…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.