LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I just ordered some carbide inserts for metal-working lathes, with the intention of fabricating a toolholder made of steel bar. Most of these inserts are specifically made to cut threads on round metal stock, but I saw one that is round and perhaps had some possibilities for woodturning. see this link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#7376a319/=5abcwc
These inserts are usually solid carbide or Titanium coated and keep an edge for a long time. Has anyone ever tried using these metalworking cutters on wood?

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I made a lathe duplicator using 1/4" x 1/4" piece of HSS tool bit stock. It seemed to work well once I got the angle correct on the cutter.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Lew! Yeah, I'm a bit unsure of 'rake angle' but I'm mostly puzzled as to why everyone isn't using metalworking carbide inserts. It just looks like it's the right tooling to use for woodturning!

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
The cutter "angle" that worked best for my application (french rolling pin arc) was grinding a rounded end. If plunged straight in, it would make a cove cut. However, it also gave me the cleanest cut when moving it along the horizontal axis of the rolling pin. I tried a cutter ground for removing metal along the horizontal axis and it gave a rough/ragged cut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.