LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making an Adjustable Try Square

Making an Adjustable Try Square is a pretty staight forward build, here are the parts:

Tool Wood Ruler Hardwood Wood stain

I chose rosewood for the handle, approx. 4" X 1/12" 1/2"
Some brass, 5/16" rod,1/4" rod and 1" flat stock (about 1/16")
Brass inserts and screws 8-23 X 1 1/2" long.

The handle must be flat and square if you want a square that is square on both the inside and outside reference. Check the width with calipers and get it exactly the same on each end, then do the same for the blade.

Watch Analog watch Wood Clock Rectangle

Watch Wood Clock Tool Measuring instrument

Next cut the slot in the handle for the blade, I get as close to center as I can then flip the handle over and cut again. This helps to center and widen the cut as the saw kerf is not wide enough for the blade.

Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor

Use a card scraper and sand paper to clean up the slot and fit the blade.

Wood Wood stain Flooring Rectangle Plank

Now lay out the holes for the adjustment screws. I just measure in about a 1/4" or so and mark lines on all sides, this comes in handy at the drill press.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Plank Wood stain

Using a vise, clamp the handle as shown for drilling. This is a good spot to slow down and make sure everything is lined up exactly as the bottom of the hole needs to center on the blade slot. Remember to keep pulling the drill bit out and cleaning off the waste to keep the bit from wandering.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Machine

Brown Wood Tints and shades Brick Pattern

Here is what you are looking for, a straight hole centered with the slot.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Finger

Now cut the connecting rods to length then sand a slight crown on the ends, I sand up to 400g to be sure there will not be any binding.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Font

Don't forget to insert the connecting rods before installing the inserts (don't ask) but a tang on a small file fits and will work as an easy out. ;-)

Hand tool Wood Burin Scratch awl Tool

I started out with a phillips head screw but switched to an hex head screw to put the inserts in. In case you don't know, the slots on the inserts are not for a screwdriver but are to cut the threads in the wood.

Wood Hand tool Screw Hardwood Fastener

I enlarged the hole about 1/4" deep to house the screw head, the insert will also be 1/4" deep.
Put a clamp on the handle to prevent splitting when screwing in the insert. (see don't ask above)

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Hardwood

Wood Hand tool Household hardware Bicycle part Hardwood

Cut the adjustment screws to the proper length and install, all that is left is to sand and finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts

Making an Adjustable Try Square is a pretty staight forward build, here are the parts:

The handle must be flat and square if you want a square that is square on both the inside and outside reference. Check the width with calipers and get it exactly the same on each end, then do the same for the blade.

Next cut the slot in the handle for the blade, I get as close to center as I can then flip the handle over and cut again. This helps to center and widen the cut as the saw kerf is not wide enough for the blade.

Now lay out the holes for the adjustment screws. I just measure in about a 1/4" or so and mark lines on all sides, this comes in handy at the drill press.

Using a vise, clamp the handle as shown for drilling. This is a good spot to slow down and make sure everything is lined up exactly as the bottom of the hole needs to center on the blade slot. Remember to keep pulling the drill bit out and cleaning off the waste to keep the bit from wandering.

Now cut the connecting rods to length then sand a slight crown on the ends, I sand up to 400g to be sure there will not be any binding.

Don't forget to insert the connecting rods before installing the inserts (don't ask) but a tang on a small file fits and will work as an easy out. ;-)

I started out with a phillips head screw but switched to an hex head screw to put the inserts in. In case you don't know, the slots on the inserts are not for a screwdriver but are to cut the threads in the wood.

I enlarged the hole about 1/4" deep to house the screw head, the insert will also be 1/4" deep.
Put a clamp on the handle to prevent splitting when screwing in the insert. (see don't ask above)

Cut the adjustment screws to the proper length and install, all that is left is to sand and finish.

Looking forward to the rest of it. This is on my list of things to build already, nice to have someone break it down, rather than me figure it out :p

Attachments

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

I really like making mechanical things, but I have to admit that I am not ready to do that one. My major concern would be whether it was truly square.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

But Jim, when you dial the square in you know it is exactly square!

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts

Great looking square!

Would you happen to have a picture of how you ground the rebate into the pin holding the blade on?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jesse, no rebate on the pin on this one, the friction holds it in place. I would just chuck the pin in a drill and use a file to make a rebate.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Jim, checking for square can be done like we used to do in high school drafting class (I know some of the younger LJs probably never had that experience) and how the digital levels set 0!

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts

Hello Tim

A very clear blog

Thanks for all the informations and picture

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts

Awesome, thank you for sharing. I love the melding of WW and metal working. Exquisite.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts

Yet another item on the favorites list for things to try in the future.

Nice job and nice write up.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,114 Posts

That's so cool Tim.
I will have to make me one of these one day.
Fine work and a really fine blog that are easy to follow.
Best thoughts,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

Tim and Hans,

OK, I understand, you are egging me on….......(-:

It would be a cute project for the vacation shop, I will be there 8 days from now. There, I have a drill press still in the box, and ditto for a scroll saw. But, I have to get the vises installed on my bench….....which…....still is not robust enough to handle it. To be honest, I know I need a square like this at both shops, so, it goes on the list.

OK, I will accept the challenge, but don't hold your breath. Figure at least 3 months. I am way behind on posting stuff, but have a bunch of things on the way…...

Have a good one guys, I'll think about this some more….......

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Jim you must have done some drafting with a T square and triangles in high school and how to check if your the two 90 degree sides were truly square!

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts

favorited. AWESOME blog.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
10,409 Posts

A great blog mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts

Great job Tim I'm going to file this away, I might have some time this winter for all those little things I haven't had time for. Thanks for post it.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

Hans
Put the square against a straight edge, draw a line up, and then flip the square over and the edge should be right on the line….......did I remember right?..........(-:

....usually I would just compare with my Groz squares, which is pretty simple as well…...(-:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,674 Posts

Very interesting blog Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Jim ... "I think he's got it, by George, he's got it! "chuckle

Either way works and whatever you feel makes it more accurate!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Thats for posting Tim, thats a great project.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.