Other - dunham hardwoods - hardwood lumber source (Rating: 4)

This is a wood source review. I was impressed enough with the vendor to want to post. They are knowledgeable and personable.

I'm building cabinets and wanted quartersawn/rift cherry for the door rails and stiles. My local supplier doesn't separate cherry into rift and quartered, so I went to the Internet and found http://www.dunham-hardwoods.com. Marty, the gentleman I dealt with, understood what I wanted, was able to find the material, hit-or-miss plane it, cut it to a shippable length, and sent it UPS. My first order easily met the definition of FAS rift/quarter cherry, though it had a few knots and some flatsawn. I had no problems working it. My second order was pure quartersawn with no defects-it's perfect wood, and some boards are fully 8'-8". For my third order I'd already taken the best quartersawn, but they found some rift that again exceeds FAS. It's got some sapwood, but it's fairly straight-grained, has few defects, and is nearly all rift.

Keep in mind that UPS charges extra for boards over 5'. For my coat closet doors, which are 6'6", I had to pay extra shipping to get longer boards. But for my most recent bundle of four boards at four feet long, I paid $15 in shipping and never had to leave the house. And on the subject of UPS, I ask for extra wrapping on the boards because some UPS drivers aren't careful.