LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
161 - 180 of 180 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Assembling 6 stools with pre-finished parts

After I got the parts all finished, I was really excited to do a dry fit and see how everything looked. I didn't even bother to change into any shop clothes!

Glasses Wood Loom Hardwood Wood stain

As you can see, tongue position is important when dry fitting pre-finished parts.

Before I actually glued up an assembly, I dry fit the stool. The corner blocks are then set in place. The tenons on the corner blocks needed a little fitting to get them into position. Pilot holes for the screws were drilled and then the stool is disassembled. Then I set the parts out to make sure I have everything ready to go.

Wood Gas Hardwood Flooring Electric blue

I also make sure the clamps and clamping jigs are in order.

Hood Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Gluing up an entire stool at once requires a glue that has a loooonnnng open time. I am using epoxy. I learned about epoxy assembly from building kayaks a few years ago.

Fluid Liquid Packing materials Household supply Gas

This epoxy needs to mixed in a 2:1 ratio (resin:hardener) by volume. You can use pumps to meter out the portions. Others use scales that account for the ratio and density differences. I find it much easier to measure out volumes. I use old pill bottles to do this.

Tableware Drinkware Liquid Highball glass Beer

I mark the left one to measure out a single part of the mixture. I then pour water to that level and transfer two parts into the right container and mark that level. I then add one more part and mark that level. I then empty the water out and dry it well. I then add resin to the first mark and hardener to the second mark.

Tableware Drinkware Liquid Barware Ingredient

The epoxy needs a structural filler to create strong joints. I also added a little mahogany sanding sawdust to tint the mixture. The entire tub of sawdust was collecting from sanding all the parts . I reserve some of the epoxy to pre-wet the joint and the rest is transferred to a cup and the fillers are added.

Cup Drink Gas Paint Cylinder

I use an acid brush to pre-wet the tenon and the mortise. This is a very thin layer as I do not want to deal with a lot of squeeze out. As I understand it, the pre-wetting allows the wood to absorb some epoxy and helps prevent epoxy being wicked away from the joint.

Wood Water Musical instrument Metal Close-up

Wood Fluid Wood stain Musical instrument Hardwood

I then spread the thickened mixture on the walls of the mortise.

Wood Natural material Hardwood Metal Wood stain

The assembly sequence is the same as described in the gluing jig post just before this one. After the parts are clamped, the corner blocks were glued and screwed into position.

Wood Hardwood Composite material Wood stain Engineering

The masonite surfaces on the clamping pads worked very well. I had no marks from clamping. There was very little epoxy squeeze out. When this did happen, ithe wax on the parts made clean up quite successful. The final results looks very nice.

Furniture Chair Wood Outdoor furniture Comfort

I paid close attention to making sure all four legs were in contact with the floor after clamping. I unclamped it and it was rock solid on the shop floor. When I brought the first stool into the house and tried to rock it, there was a slight "tick-tick-tick" as I wiggled it. Rats - not perfect, but close. Shop floor must not be flat. With the next stool, I made sure I found a perfectly flat spot on the shop floor.
The second stool was dead square - even when turning 90 degrees. Brought it into the house and it was rock solid. Then I put it in place the first stool sat - "tick-tick-tick".

Ah- HA! My kitchen floor is not flat!! The rocking is really slight and goes away when I put my weight on the stool.

They look really nice and are now ready for seats.

Wood Wood stain Varnish Hardwood Rectangle

Light Wood Wood stain Line Hardwood

They all look good sitting in their final home.

Chair Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Furniture Wood Chair Flooring Wood stain

The finishing process took about 11 hours.

=================================================

Current time log:

Cutting rough stock: 2 hr

Legs
> Cutting to width and thickness: 4 hr 20 min
> Cut to final length: 3 hr 30 min
> Shaping: 5 hr 50 min
> Mortises: 10 hr 35 min
> Sand & radius edges: 19 hr 35 min
> Oxidize and Final sanding: 3 hr 10 min
> Prep for finish: 1 hr 25 min
> Finish: 12 h 15 min

Seat Back and Back Rest
> Cutting thin stock for laminations: 3 hr 35 min
> Prepping laminations: 8 hr 40 min
> Glue up Laminations: 3 hr 50 min
> Trim Laminated Parts: 2 hr 25 min
> Tenon: 5 hr 40 min
> Mortises: 5 hr 30 min
> Sand & radius edges: 6 hr 10 min
> Oxidize and Final sanding: 1 hr 20 min
> Mask & Prep for finish: 20 min
> Finish: 2 h 45 min

Back Slats
> Cutting thin stock for laminations: 1 hr 55 min
> Prepping laminations: 3 hr
> Glue up Laminations: 6 hr 5 min
> Trim Laminated Parts: 30 min
> Tenon: 2 hr 50 min
> Sand: 7 hr 35 min
> Oxidize and Final sanding: 1 hr 30 min
> Mask & Prep for finish: 40 min
> Finish: 4 hr 35 min

Lower rail parts
> Cut to width and thickness: 10 hr
> Cut to length: 1 hr 30 min
> Mortise: 4 hr 35 min
> Tenon: 28 hr 30 min
> Sand & radius edges: 15 hr 35 min
> Oxidize and Final sanding: 3 hr 40 min
> Mask & Prep for finish: 2 hr 30 min
> Finish: 12 hr 5 min

Corner Blocks
> Cut to size: 1 hr 50 min
> Shape: 1 hr 50 min
> Tenons: 1 hr 15 min
> Holes: 1 hr 30 min

Frame assembly
> Remove Masking Tape: 1 hr 30 min
> Dry Fitting: 4 hr 20 min
> Glue up: 6 hr 50 min

Total so far: 229 hr 5 min (~38 hrs per stool)
IMHO pre-assembly should always be done before finish. Great job.
i never keep time while working.

Attachments

· Registered
6,953 Posts

After I got the parts all finished, I was really excited to do a dry fit and see how everything looked. I didn't even bother to change into any shop clothes!

As you can see, tongue position is important when dry fitting pre-finished parts.

Before I actually glued up an assembly, I dry fit the stool. The corner blocks are then set in place. The tenons on the corner blocks needed a little fitting to get them into position. Pilot holes for the screws were drilled and then the stool is disassembled. Then I set the parts out to make sure I have everything ready to go.

Gluing up an entire stool at once requires a glue that has a loooonnnng open time. I am using epoxy. I learned about epoxy assembly from building kayaks a few years ago.

This epoxy needs to mixed in a 2:1 ratio (resin:hardener) by volume. You can use pumps to meter out the portions. Others use scales that account for the ratio and density differences. I find it much easier to measure out volumes. I use old pill bottles to do this.

I mark the left one to measure out a single part of the mixture. I then pour water to that level and transfer two parts into the right container and mark that level. I then add one more part and mark that level. I then empty the water out and dry it well. I then add resin to the first mark and hardener to the second mark.

The epoxy needs a structural filler to create strong joints. I also added a little mahogany sanding sawdust to tint the mixture. The entire tub of sawdust was collecting from sanding all the parts . I reserve some of the epoxy to pre-wet the joint and the rest is transferred to a cup and the fillers are added.

I use an acid brush to pre-wet the tenon and the mortise. This is a very thin layer as I do not want to deal with a lot of squeeze out. As I understand it, the pre-wetting allows the wood to absorb some epoxy and helps prevent epoxy being wicked away from the joint.

The assembly sequence is the same as described in the gluing jig post just before this one. After the parts are clamped, the corner blocks were glued and screwed into position.

The masonite surfaces on the clamping pads worked very well. I had no marks from clamping. There was very little epoxy squeeze out. When this did happen, ithe wax on the parts made clean up quite successful. The final results looks very nice.

I paid close attention to making sure all four legs were in contact with the floor after clamping. I unclamped it and it was rock solid on the shop floor. When I brought the first stool into the house and tried to rock it, there was a slight "tick-tick-tick" as I wiggled it. Rats - not perfect, but close. Shop floor must not be flat. With the next stool, I made sure I found a perfectly flat spot on the shop floor.
The second stool was dead square - even when turning 90 degrees. Brought it into the house and it was rock solid. Then I put it in place the first stool sat - "tick-tick-tick".

Ah- HA! My kitchen floor is not flat!! The rocking is really slight and goes away when I put my weight on the stool.

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

They are stunning!
Will they reside in the room where you have them pictured? If so, the contrast of wood colors really makes them the focal point!

Attachments

· Registered
281 Posts

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Those really are beautiful. 38 hours for a nice kitchen stool doesn't sound so bad, but they time you get 4 done, you have quite an investment in time here. Looks like it was worth it though

I have two that I had made when my house was built. He charged me $500 each and I thought that was a lot, but now I see there was probably much more to the project than I imagined. I knew I couldn't do it myself, so it was worth it to me.

Attachments

· Registered
7,151 Posts

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Nice work Steve - they are looking great!

Attachments

· Registered
5,279 Posts

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Bravo Steve !!!

It's been well worth the wait.
I love your results and I agree with you on mixing by visual volume on the epoxy.
I never trusted the pumps.

I could go on and on but as a great woodworker I know recently posted,

"Stunning, that's all I've got. just stunning."

Attachments

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Thanks for the comments everyone - they mean a lot.

Mike - Thanks - after 30 years of engineering work, it kind of shows up in whatever I do!

Roger - Upholstering the seats is up next. That will be a new experience for me. Then - at last - they can go to work.

whitewulf - Thanks - I kept a time log on one other project and was surprised by how far off my initial guess was. I don't normally bother with it either, but thought it would be fun for the blog.

lew - Yes, that is where they will live. We'll have to see if we picked the right color for the fabric!!

Kay - Thanks! I'll be well into the 40's by the time the seats are done. I would end up with a pretty low hourly wages at $500 each - but I am not trying to be efficient. It is more about having fun for me. I think you got a pretty fair deal…

Jeff - Thanks - I'm getting there!

Paul - I'm honored to be quoted! <grin>

Attachments

· Registered
818 Posts

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Labour of love and a beautiful end result (almost ) waiting for the seats .
Patience and attention to perfect fit and detail made these the quality project they are .
Thank you to let us be part of the journey Steve ,I really appreciate it .

Attachments

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·

Current time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Thanks kiefer! I am enjoying sharing the journey with all of you.

Now, I am in the learning phases of foam shaping. There is always something new to discover!

Attachments

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Seat Upholstery

Confession - I finished the upholstery several weeks ago but have not gotten the blog updated until now. Oh well, everything else about this project has been on its own pace so there is no sense in changing now;)

Here we go. The next step is to cut seat blanks. I used a sheet of good quality 3/8 plywood.

Table Wood Wood stain Floor Automotive exterior

I printed out a full size pattern.

Wood Rectangle Material property Composite material Flooring

Cut it out on the bandsaw.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Sanded it smooth.

Brown Wood Table Flooring Floor

I then used the first cutout as a pattern for the other 5 seat blanks.

Wood Table Flooring Floor Wood stain

I used a brad point bit to mark the hole locations.

Wood Art Creative arts Safety glove Hardwood

I used a T-nut to bolt the seat blank to the stool.

Wood Table Wood stain Beige Hardwood

As always with this project. I keep moving on and eventually I get to the end of each step.

Furniture Chair Wood Outdoor furniture Outdoor table

After the seat blanks are done, its time to cut the foam. I used 1 1/2 inch thick blocks of upholstery foam. I used the bandsaw to cut to shape and then tapered the foam.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Fender Automotive exterior

I took out the bandsaw table insert so I could tilt the table as far as possible (I would guess 50+ degrees). The seats were cut about 3/8 inch oversize and the taper ended up just over an inch inside the seat outline.

Publication Wood Hardwood Rectangle Flooring

The foam is glued to the seat base with spray adhesive. After the foam is bonded, the edges are bent over and stuck to the seat. This gives a pretty good shape to the seat even before fabric is added.

Rectangle Wood Hardwood Linens Beige

After the foam, next is a layer of muslin.

Sleeve Wood Beige Hardwood Tints and shades

This is followed by the final fabric. The pattern is located and stapled front & back.

Product Rectangle Wood Beige Hardwood

Then the sides & corners.

Wood Rectangle Ingredient Cuisine Dish

Trim the excess.

Hand Wood Sleeve Finger Safety glove

Add heavy paper.

Brown Natural material Wood Cuisine Beige

And - finally - bolt the finished seat to the frame!

Brown Wood Trunk Gas Automotive exterior

Here is a view of the final seat.

Comfort Wood Bed frame Rectangle Flooring

I'll save the final pics for the project posting - given past behavior that could take a while ;)

Here is the final time log:

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats
> Seat Blanks: 3 hr 55 min
> Foam: 1 hr 20 min
> Muslin: 4 hr 15 min
> Final Fabric: 7 hr

Total: 245 hr 15 min (~41 hrs per stool)

Attachments

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Confession - I finished the upholstery several weeks ago but have not gotten the blog updated until now. Oh well, everything else about this project has been on its own pace so there is no sense in changing now;)

Here we go. The next step is to cut seat blanks. I used a sheet of good quality 3/8 plywood.

Sanded it smooth.

As always with this project. I keep moving on and eventually I get to the end of each step.

After the seat blanks are done, its time to cut the foam. I used 1 1/2 inch thick blocks of upholstery foam. I used the bandsaw to cut to shape and then tapered the foam.

I took out the bandsaw table insert so I could tilt the table as far as possible (I would guess 50+ degrees). The seats were cut about 3/8 inch oversize and the taper ended up just over an inch inside the seat outline.

The foam is glued to the seat base with spray adhesive. After the foam is bonded, the edges are bent over and stuck to the seat. This gives a pretty good shape to the seat even before fabric is added.

This is followed by the final fabric. The pattern is located and stapled front & back.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

I'll save the final pics for the project posting - given past behavior that could take a while ;)

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

You must be pretty excited to come to the end of this massive project!
Looking forward to the posting… that bottom looks pretty nice.
Ellen

Attachments

· Registered
6,911 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Beautiful work. I'm really impressed. Like to see those stools in person

Attachments

· Registered
2,185 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Nice.
Congrats on work well done.

Steve

Attachments

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

All, super nicely done. Woodwork, and upholstery.

Attachments

· Registered
7,151 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Looking good Steve! You must be extremely happy to cross the finish line!

Attachments

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Thanks everyone! It's great to have the project finished. The fun part is seeing them in use. They are so much more comfortable than our old ones.

Attachments

· Registered
756 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Steve! Very well done sir! You were rather intentional about the upholstery. I can see that you took a couple of "extra" steps. It's good mark mark of very fine upholstery. It looks like you used Rosin paper to cover the bottom. Very clever.

The muslin layer is meant to separate padding from fabric. In the good old days, the padding consisted of rubberized horse hair and cotton. The old upholstery cotton was not real clean. There were things in it that would stain a fabric if it got wet. The horse hair--- I'm glad those days are gone!!!

Do you know why upholsterers make such terrible finish carpenters. They work with half inch tolerances all the time. Keeping staples in a straight line is never a consideration. Most work they do can be corrected easily if they make a mistake.

One of the biggest aspects of being a good upholsterer is having the ability to secure fabric and padding without creating bumps or bulk. I'm sure that is something you are very familiar with at the moment. I've got to say that you passed the test beautifully.

Another aspect is knowing 'how' the padding will act when it is pulled tight with the fabric. You did such a beautiful job bevelling the foam that it already had the desired shape before you started.

Shaping the foam is a relatively new thing. In the good old day's the foam was shapped into these gigantic blocks then cut to thickness. Nowadays, each individual piece can be shaped with a mold. That saves foam and the need for a little extra skill (just a little mind you).

Do you know why a fine finish carpenter makes a lousy upholsterer? They can't make any money at it. ;) it takes over 12 hours to do the upholstery on some wrap over DR seats.

Steve - I'm messing with you. The facts are that you did some ultra fine work on that upholstery and I totally appreciate your attention to the smallest detail. If I were you - I'd give myself a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10 for a great quality upholstery job. Kick that pride of doing it yourself up a few notches. I could not have done better.

Wow - that sounds arrogant!!!! I guess I better explain a little so you can know where I'm coming from. At 6 years old, I was sweeping up my dad's upholstery shop. By the time I was 25 - I was a master upholsterer. - THAT is WHY I have been such a lousy carpenter.

Eighth inch off? Who cares! ;)

Attachments

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Wow Mark! Thanks for the inspiring and detailed comment! Your compliments meant a lot to me.

I have to admit that this was my first chair upholstery. I have picked up some hints from years past, but I have to give the biggest credit to my wife's uncle. I got to watch him re-upholster some chairs old school - cotton, horse hair, muslin and tacks. I learned a lot.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Attachments

· Registered
413 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Sure must feel good to have this very involved project completed. Be proud of yourself Steve … these hand-crafted kitchen stools are beautiful!!

Attachments

· Registered
5,279 Posts
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Absolutely superb Steve !
That's all I've got. ;-)

Attachments

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Seat Upholstery

Sanded it smooth.

Trim the excess.

Add heavy paper.

Legs

Seat Back and Back Rest

Back Slats

Lower rail parts

Corner Blocks

Frame assembly

Seats

Thanks Elaine - I seem to gravitate to involved projects. They take a lot of time, but the journey is as much fun as the final result!

Thanks Paul - The quality of comments are not judged by their size ;)

Attachments

161 - 180 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.