LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One draw back with the my old planer is no jack screws so setting the blades is VERY time consuming.

These look simple enough and the design idea is sound. IF they are well made.
Just wondering if anyone has a set and what they think.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I bought a set once and they were plastic. They broke in shipping. Now I have some Planer Pals which cost more but are all metal. I don't use them anymore because my current planer has an insert head.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Do you have holes in the head for lifters? The problem is two fold no way to lift the knives and you don’t know how far the cutting circle is opening up when you tighten the gibs.
Some think knives are raising up in some cases this might be true. My experience is the gibs open up the knife slot this swings the tip of the knife.
A dial indicator will show how much. The closer you get them to taking a equal cut the better.
Good Luck

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Jigs register off the head, so the head has to be perfectly parallel to the bed. Not always the case, and not always easy to adjust.

I don’t envy you. Tough without depth screws.

I use a dial indicator referenced off the bed. It’s. 1-2 hour job on my 20” 4 knife planer. So - you guessed it - I Onky change blades when they‘re well past their due date.

I have thought about a jig with a magnet to hold to the head and an adjuster to raise/lower the blade (a simple wing bolt), one on each end. Do the adjustment and tighten the gib when the blade is facing down, after set to the table.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since I have not gotten an answer to my question, I ordered a set. Reviews are OK, but no great. But I can always return them. Some of comments were obvious they had no idea how to use them.

Jigs register off the head, so the head has to be perfectly parallel to the bed. Not always the case, and not always easy to adjust.

I don’t envy you. Tough without depth screws.
I rebuilt my planer from a rusty mess, so I know it well. Have not checked the head to bed in a long time, so thanks for the reminder. It is time for some PM anyway. Did a little yesterday and will check the bed today before I start.

Edit: Just checked and the best I can measure, the head is .005" higher on one end. More than close enough for woodworking.

Started milling mahogany yesterday and realized really quick, just by the sound that the blades were dull.

I to used a dial indicator too but it is probably 2 hours by the time I get it done. if I have a sharp spare set. Longer if I have to sharpen them first. Results are great but such a pain to do.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received and tried them and as expected they are OK, not bad but not great either. There is a learning curve but I am going to keep them.

First off, the scale on them is not accurate. Just a sticker stuck on there. so you can't set two to the same numbers and blades be straight. They will be different heights on each side.

The good is the screw allows fine adjustments. My cutter head has no jack screws so setting blade heights was a real pain the rear. Very hard to raise the blade if it was to low. Easy to tap it downward but raising it.... no so much.

What I settled on after a couple of attempts, was to put them on the head. Paying CLOSE attention to where I placed them in relation of the blade. Ran the head down to touch the magnet to the blade BEFORE I removed them. Sharpened and reinstalled the blades. Being careful to put the gages back in the same place. Let the magnet hold the blade and tighten the gibs.

I checked them with the dial indicator and I was surprised they were all with about .005-.006 of each other. Plenty close for woodworking. If I do them by hand I tried to get them within .002 but I don't beleive we NEED that much precision woodworking.

It took me a couple of times to get this result. First attempt was way off. By paying close attention and being consistent in placing the gages on the cutter head and doing the same exact thing each time, that improved.

Are they workth it?? For me yes. All my machines are very old. So even if still used the dial indicator it worth it for the convenience of being able to adjust the blade height so easily. It drastical cut the install time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts