LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Machinist Chest

Woodsmith Magazine has challenged me again with an interesting project. This machinist chest involves numerous types of joinery including 1/8 inch tenons to hold together 3/8 inch boards to make the drawers, box joints and stub tenons and raised panels. I hope to take you along thru the cut list, assembly, and finish. Looks like an interesting project requiring exacting specifications. Here is picture of the iWoodmith Issue showing a pic of the project. All the pieces of milled 1/2 and 3/8 inch already glued up, cut to final size, and ready to sand before assembly.

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Machinist Chest

Woodsmith Magazine has challenged me again with an interesting project. This machinist chest involves numerous types of joinery including 1/8 inch tenons to hold together 3/8 inch boards to make the drawers, box joints and stub tenons and raised panels. I hope to take you along thru the cut list, assembly, and finish. Looks like an interesting project requiring exacting specifications. Here is picture of the iWoodmith Issue showing a pic of the project. All the pieces of milled 1/2 and 3/8 inch already glued up, cut to final size, and ready to sand before assembly.

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
I love these chests. I have been reading Tolpin's toolbox book in which he has several of these detailed. Carry on and post. Good luck.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
Wow big project

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
Got that shoulder plane workin'! Go get' em, Doc.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
good luck with that project
looking forward to see the progress
thank´s for sharing

Dennis

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
This is going to be a fun and challenging project Dock. Looking forward to accompanying you on the journey.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
This is going to be a nice addition to your shop. It looks like a fun build. I looked hard at this one and thought about building one of these but, of course, my project list somehow seems to take a back seat to the ones that my wife "commissions".

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
Thanks for the post. Please keep us posted on your project?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
nice look forward to seeing the final pics

·
Registered
685 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
I have the same issue and kept it just for that plan. Good luck with the build, I look forward to seeing the end result.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
Dock,
Keep in mind that the plan is designed for flush mount drawer pulls . If your planning on using a knob pull that projects out from the drawer, you`ll have to allow extra clearance (shorter drawer) otherwise the front panel won`t close…MC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
I have been trying so hard to find this pattern. You got any tips for me? I have about 800 board foot of cherry taking up space in my shop and I'm wanting to make a machinist chest or two.

·
Registered
32,187 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
That will be an interesting project. I hope it all goes well for you.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
Hello that was very nice. I have searched for plan but none seem available. Can anyone tell me where I can locate detailed plans?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Machinist Chest

Machine chest 1

Machine chest 2

Photobucket
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodworking-project-paper-plan-to-build-woodworkers-tool-chest

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Case Assembly and Drawer Installation

Worked on this new project over the weekend and have to say this is alot tougher than I thought it was going to be. Tolerances are very tight. Some cuts for the drawers have to be within 1/32th or the gaps between the drawers are crooked. Thank heaven for micro adjust on the Incra router fence. Alot of do-overs on the drawers which was frustrating as I tried to cut all the drawer fronts from one piece to get a good grain match, which means if you screw up one drawer you have to redo all 7 drawers if you want them all to match. I'm going to school on this one, maybe the next one will be mistake free…...yeah right.

Machine chest 1
Bare case assembly
Photobucket

Drawers after glue up

Photobucket

Drawer Joinery
Photobucket
Drawers Inset tough getting them aligned evenly
Photobucket
Case front, all ready for sandingPhotobucket

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Worked on this new project over the weekend and have to say this is alot tougher than I thought it was going to be. Tolerances are very tight. Some cuts for the drawers have to be within 1/32th or the gaps between the drawers are crooked. Thank heaven for micro adjust on the Incra router fence. Alot of do-overs on the drawers which was frustrating as I tried to cut all the drawer fronts from one piece to get a good grain match, which means if you screw up one drawer you have to redo all 7 drawers if you want them all to match. I'm going to school on this one, maybe the next one will be mistake free…...yeah right.

Machine chest 1
Bare case assembly
Photobucket

Drawers after glue up

Photobucket

Drawer Joinery
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lookin' good!

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Machine chest 1
Bare case assembly
Photobucket

Drawers after glue up

Photobucket

Drawer Joinery
Photobucket
Photobucket
Great progress looks super

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Machine chest 1
Bare case assembly
Photobucket

Drawers after glue up

Photobucket

Drawer Joinery
Photobucket
Photobucket
DocK, this is coming along nicely. This is going to be a nice addition to your shop.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Machine chest 1
Bare case assembly
Photobucket

Drawers after glue up

Photobucket

Drawer Joinery
Photobucket
Photobucket
nice work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.