LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Hi all, I would like to solve my lumber storage issue once and for all and was hoping I could get some good suggestions. I have pretty much ruled out establishing racks on a wall. The only wall available has windows.

I have been thinking of making a rolling cart with one half shelves and the other half sheet good storage. Any advise, suggestions, examples, or plan recommendations would be most welcome.

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would hope I could keep it under 500 lbs. I have to share the garage space with my wife and kids. This means I might get one and a half walls. Good idea relative to using the space on top of cabinets. Been storing some small items there, but they could be moved.

I'm thinking of a cart that has perhaps 3 sections. Center is for full sheets, one side is for partial sheets and the other side has shelfs. I was thinking of using a commercial rack such as those you would find at woodcraft to hold the lumber.

Overall demensions are perhaps 8' long 30" wide and 60" tall. This would allow me to use the 55" shelf brackets.

There was an interesting sheet good roller in Woodsmith #167 (pg. 5) that could be placed in the end areas where sheets roll in and out. It is basically a 1" PVC pipe with a 1/2" black pipe in the center. Looks cheap, easy, and useful.

What do you all think?

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've ruled out overhead in my case. We are already storing some other stuff there and I am worried about the weight. I think I will build a rolling cart and perhaps use some shelves high on a couple of walls and perhaps the tops of the cabinets.

I'm trying to keep the amount of lumber on hand to a reasonable amout. Hopefully, I can be successful.

I've been going through all of my old magazines looking for plans. Hopefully I will get started soon.

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks. Great ideas. I think I am going to have to completely redesign my shop. The stuff in it is out of control. I'm hoping to get some time to work on it when I take vacation in a couple of weeks.

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I would love to own a piece of NH real estate. Unfortunately, I have a small lot in the suburbs that has no room for additional buildings. I'm hoping to move back to the country one of these days. Thanks. Redwoods are still two working weeks away.

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm still leaning the wood against the wall. My garage shop is a huge mess and I have not been getting much woodworking done lately. I need to get all of the household stuff that has seemed to migrate from the house into the shop.

Any tips on wife management?

· Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm not sure there is a "once and for all" solution. I have seen a number of nice projects. I did slap this together one Saturday morning out of need.

Lumber Cart 1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.