LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Making the body part two.

Low angel shoulder plane

So here we go.

In last blog we left the body to dry.
Now time to make one of the sides flat by grinding of the pin ends.

Then the band saw, for shaping that body.
In the back left my future dinner knifes, its Swedish steel and eight different woods for the handles, in this way people can choose, and find a favorite (sorry it has nothing at all to do in this blog).

Cutting after the circle that I decided for the design.

Shaping and removing pin ends from other side also. By the sander, be careful not to burn it.

Need a dead flat surface? Here are how.

This simple!

Flattening the sole.
And a needle files on the bed.
It almost look like a plane now!

Not bad.

Getting closer!
In the front another of Div's wonderful planes (I'm spoiled).

Hold the plane iron up and find out exactly where to place the planes mouth.
Makin a cut for the mouth.

And one more so we have an opening.
It is done with the Zona saw.

Paring the mouth with a dead sharp chisel.

Jaba daba dooo….

And look! It slides just in from the mouth.
(I thought this was not possible.).

Here we are!
As you can see this design has a few back sides.
The mouth can't be super tiny.
The last part of the plane iron are not supported due to the fact I need to get the blade in, and the wood dimensions, a bigger plane would be less trouble.

The little cut off from the body now comes in action as a guide for the wedge angle.

And sawing the wedge, now with a Veritas dovetail saw.
IMPORTANT:
After sawing it, you need to make the part of the wedge turning down against the plane iron a slightly concave curved so it rest on the front by the mouth and the heal by the back of the plane, in this way the iron will be pushed down against the bed and you will avoid that the plane iron dig in or bend of the wood.

A match.

A fit.

Hmmmmmmmm… will that really work!

Marking the wedge.
Notice I have rounded the end of the plane iron.

The low angle shoulder plane is made!

The size.

Inspiration.

Sizes.

Here it is doing shaves.

And here low angle and 45 degrees together.
Thank you Div, it has been great fun even I was quite frustrated for an hour this afternoon…

Here is a video showing it in action, it actually works.

And here the little wedge trick:

Rectangle Slope Triangle Font Parallel

A last trick is to 'hollow' the wedge a little, just a little - in this way you will make sure there are a optimal pressure on the front of the wedge.

Time to say good night here.

I hope this blog can inspire others to go for a low angel shoulder plane, or any plane at all, the satisfaction by making your own plane is priceless.

Thank you div for playing with me my brother.

Best thoughts,
Mads
Great bump! I haven't been to this thread in years. Literally!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·

Low angel shoulder plane

So here we go.

In the back left my future dinner knifes, its Swedish steel and eight different woods for the handles, in this way people can choose, and find a favorite (sorry it has nothing at all to do in this blog).

Shaping and removing pin ends from other side also. By the sander, be careful not to burn it.

This simple!

Flattening the sole.

Not bad.

Getting closer!

Jaba daba dooo….

Here we are!
The last part of the plane iron are not supported due to the fact I need to get the blade in, and the wood dimensions, a bigger plane would be less trouble.

The little cut off from the body now comes in action as a guide for the wedge angle.

IMPORTANT:
After sawing it, you need to make the part of the wedge turning down against the plane iron a slightly concave curved so it rest on the front by the mouth and the heal by the back of the plane, in this way the iron will be pushed down against the bed and you will avoid that the plane iron dig in or bend of the wood.

A match.

A fit.

Marking the wedge.

The size.

Inspiration.

Sizes.

Here it is doing shaves.

Thank you Div, it has been great fun even I was quite frustrated for an hour this afternoon…

A last trick is to 'hollow' the wedge a little, just a little - in this way you will make sure there are a optimal pressure on the front of the wedge.

I hope this blog can inspire others to go for a low angel shoulder plane, or any plane at all, the satisfaction by making your own plane is priceless.

Best thoughts,
Mads
Hi,
Belg, yes it is on next page, but here is the link: http://www.felding.net/image/pic/shoulderplanecircle/lowangleoriginal.pdf
Bertha, nice to see you, I don't get around as much as I want these days, life is busy and in the most wonderful way. Yes it was soon long ago, this thread a wonderful time of exploration. Hope you are fine and with a smile.
Best thoughts,
Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

So here we go.

This simple!

Flattening the sole.

Not bad.

Getting closer!

Jaba daba dooo….

Here we are!

IMPORTANT:

A match.

A fit.

Marking the wedge.

The size.

Inspiration.

Sizes.

Here it is doing shaves.

Best thoughts,
Mads
Thank you Mads, should have just kept reading I guess. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·

Low angel shoulder plane

So here we go.

This simple!

Flattening the sole.

Not bad.

Getting closer!

Jaba daba dooo….

Here we are!

IMPORTANT:

A match.

A fit.

Marking the wedge.

The size.

Inspiration.

Sizes.

Here it is doing shaves.

Best thoughts,
Mads
You are welcome. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Drawings Analys and Documentation...

Low angel shoulder plane
Drawings Analysis and Documentation…

I promised to post a set of drawings for this project, normally I will not do this, but due to the fact I was spending the time drawing it to figure it out I decided to make a few drawings to help others build.
(And no one just do that, it took 6-8 hours of work, and 8 hours of building and thinking, so just thinking of the fact that I should receive 75 dollar from a woodworking magazine and be happy makes me laugh it would be 4,5 dollar a hour…).

So here it is all for free, right from my heart to anyone who wants to build it:

------------------------------------

Front loaded version:

Here the drawing of the one I build.
You can press here for the PDF file with the drawing ready to print in the scale you want.
My own is made with a simple circular design (the MaFe way), but in the drawing I gave it a classic look since I think this will be what most like.

I made it with no measures, but the 1:1 on the drawing is a fine size for a medium shoulder plane, but if you want a micro like Div and I have build, you need to downscale it to a body length of app. 4 1/2 inches.

Back loaded version:

Press here for the drawings for the version that can make it possible to make an extremely narrow mouth since the plane is loaded from the back.
I draw this when I thought my first version was not possible at all.

The mad professor:

Finally press here for the drawings where I tried to figure out what was the problem and what could be done - the analysis.
This was for me the way to try and figure it all out, and I love to be there…

Since the plane is running now I will probably not blog more on this subject, but we never know, I do have two plane bodies waiting for me.

Thank you to all who followed my ups and downs on this blog..

I hope this blog can inspire others to go for a low angel shoulder plane, or any plane at all, the satisfaction by making your own plane is priceless, and since I even provided the drawings now, it should be a walk in the park, where the swans swim on the water while the sun goes down.

Thank you div for inspirer me my dear brother in Africa.

Best thoughts,
Mads

·
Registered
9,509 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

I promised to post a set of drawings for this project, normally I will not do this, but due to the fact I was spending the time drawing it to figure it out I decided to make a few drawings to help others build.
(And no one just do that, it took 6-8 hours of work, and 8 hours of building and thinking, so just thinking of the fact that I should receive 75 dollar from a woodworking magazine and be happy makes me laugh it would be 4,5 dollar a hour…).

So here it is all for free, right from my heart to anyone who wants to build it:

Front loaded version:

You can press here for the PDF file with the drawing ready to print in the scale you want.
My own is made with a simple circular design (the MaFe way), but in the drawing I gave it a classic look since I think this will be what most like.

I made it with no measures, but the 1:1 on the drawing is a fine size for a medium shoulder plane, but if you want a micro like Div and I have build, you need to downscale it to a body length of app. 4 1/2 inches.

Back loaded version:

Press here for the drawings for the version that can make it possible to make an extremely narrow mouth since the plane is loaded from the back.

The mad professor:

Finally press here for the drawings where I tried to figure out what was the problem and what could be done - the analysis.

Since the plane is running now I will probably not blog more on this subject, but we never know, I do have two plane bodies waiting for me.

I hope this blog can inspire others to go for a low angel shoulder plane, or any plane at all, the satisfaction by making your own plane is priceless, and since I even provided the drawings now, it should be a walk in the park, where the swans swim on the water while the sun goes down.

Best thoughts,
Mads
What wonderful drawings Mads. Thanks for taking the extra time and effort for the community in general. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Thanks Mads!

This will be very handy.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Thanks mads, your blogs are what i use to get me fired up when i'm not to motivated to work

·
Registered
11,632 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Thank you for doing this, Mads. I know that it takes a tremendous amount of time to put this together and it is very appreciated. Do you want me to call Popular Woodworking? They might even give you $80 as a repeat contributor ;)

I'm following you! I'm just walking backwards most of the time.

Ruler Rectangle Wood Font Office supplies

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
977 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Very generous of you Mads and excellent drawings.

Perhaps you should blog about how you make these wonderful drawings, someday. I am as enthralled by the drawing as I am by the actual tool. They are a joy to look at and follow, like woodworking in cartoons.
You have a very nice style of documenting!

·
Registered
11,632 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Mads, I'm hanging close to these plans! Yours right next to mine!

Hood Automotive design Wood Writing implement Office supplies

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Not everyone will agree, but I find that drawing up the plans for a project is just about as much enjoyment as making the project.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Beautiful plane and nice drawing. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

·
In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Thank you for sharing all of this work with us Mads. It is astounding that we can get so much information, drawings and thoughts at no cost and just by clicking a few buttons. Generosity is not always the first word that comes to mind in dealings with our fellow man, but it certainly is where you are concerned, and the same goes for so many of our fellow Lumberjocks.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

Low angel shoulder plane

Front loaded version:

Back loaded version:

The mad professor:

Best thoughts,
Mads
Hi LJ's,
I am almost ashamed, it was not the thought that I wanted thanks, I was just remembering my little story with a big woodworking magazine - laugh. So it was acually just to bring smiles.
Mike, as I said before I love to share, and I am a big beliver in that those who share learn more, and will become better and better. Those who don't will not recieve eighter and stay ignorant. Most master crafts men are never afraid to share, they even enjoy and never feel a thread in this, it takes practice and skills to become ever a master of anything.
Jiri, thank you!
Hall Tree, I agree it is a big part of the fun, and usually if you have drawn a project you know every cut by heart when you reach the saw.
Bertha, wonderful, it looks as if you make the back loaded version. This is not needed if you run bevel down, but it will be really cool and you will get a good strong wedge so not a bad idea still. And I pass on calling any magazine at this moment, perhaps if one of them offeres me a freelance job one day…
August, I have not made plans for the router plane, it was froma sketch and my heart.
daltxguy, the drawings is made in a program called Illustrator, and I used it for more than 20 years, so…
grittyroots, mafe the kickstarter…
Ian, I smile again.
Wayne, now I smile even more! ANd I love to make those drawing, but due to my neck I cant sit too long by the computer so it happens really rare these days.

And then I will like to thank back all you LJ's that share with me, few years back I knew next to nothing, but due to the fact others shared here, and that I could see what was possible, I learned that it is all a matter of will and a little practice - ohhh yes and a sharp iron!
Thank you,
Mads

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The basic cuts.

The basic cuts
This should have been first…

I know this was how the blog should have started but I had not planned to take photos when I started so this is why - but since I decided to make some more planes I took pictures after.

So here it is 'The basic cuts'.

As so often recycle is the basis - here a piece of Ash wood that comes from the cut out for a kitchen sink.
Its big wonderful staves that I simply cut out again by cutting in the glue line, and in this way get wood for plenty of tool handles and yes even hand planes.

Back in line.

This is where they are glued together in the length, it's really strong, but for this project I stay away from these.

A block of wood, all free.

The iron on top.

Marking for the sizes.
The side - tang - side.
Remember to add the thickness of the saw blade, and that the tang part needs to be a little wider so you can adjust.

And marking up with a gauge to control the saw cut after.

Saw!

Ok I'm lazy!

Side - tang - side.
That is all to it!

Now we are ready to go to part one of the blog….

I hope this blog can inspire others to build some of these planes.

Best thoughts,
Mads

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
The basic cuts.

The basic cuts

I know this was how the blog should have started but I had not planned to take photos when I started so this is why - but since I decided to make some more planes I took pictures after.

As so often recycle is the basis - here a piece of Ash wood that comes from the cut out for a kitchen sink.
Its big wonderful staves that I simply cut out again by cutting in the glue line, and in this way get wood for plenty of tool handles and yes even hand planes.

Back in line.

This is where they are glued together in the length, it's really strong, but for this project I stay away from these.

The iron on top.

Marking for the sizes.
The side - tang - side.
Remember to add the thickness of the saw blade, and that the tang part needs to be a little wider so you can adjust.

Saw!

Ok I'm lazy!

Side - tang - side.
That is all to it!

Best thoughts,
Mads
I love the way you recycle wood. I hope more people are inspired to do this.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
The basic cuts.

The basic cuts

Back in line.

The iron on top.

Marking for the sizes.
The side - tang - side.

Saw!

Ok I'm lazy!

Side - tang - side.
That is all to it!

Best thoughts,
Mads
we take a seat where
one is available

thanks
your work
and help is appreciated

i will keep watching
Hair Eye Mythical creature Gesture Art

and wishing you and your ladies
the best

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
The basic cuts.

The basic cuts

Back in line.

The iron on top.

Marking for the sizes.
The side - tang - side.

Saw!

Ok I'm lazy!

Side - tang - side.
That is all to it!

Best thoughts,
Mads
Recycle, recycle, and recycle. Okay, when are you going to build a plane from pallet wood? ;) If you don't do it quickly, I will be first!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The basic cuts.

The basic cuts

Back in line.

The iron on top.

Marking for the sizes.
The side - tang - side.

Saw!

Ok I'm lazy!

Side - tang - side.
That is all to it!

Best thoughts,
Mads
Mads, you are a true rhykenologist, but you don't just collect the ones others have made- you also make them. What is one called that makes planes??

Nice job showing the process!

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.