LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello all - I have been using a Craftsman 'wobble-blade' style of dado blade for more years than I want to remember, and it is time (actually, well past time) to invest in a new setup. I have been very pleased with the results this one has given me and have probably cut 1000's of feet of dadoes with it, but it is past its' prime.

Any ideas on which one to get - or just as importantly, which ones to avoid? I'll be mounting it on my 10" 3 hp Grizzly G0690 and using it for some finish and joinery cuts as well as run-of-the-mill projects.

Thanks in advance for what I know will be valuable feedback from my fellow LJers.

Ron

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Art. Very good points and I appreciate your response.

I think the maximum depth of cut I am likely to need/want is no more than 3/4" based on past uses. I don't mind spending the kind of money that this set goes for, and may even consider the 8" set if it makes more sense. Based on the reviews given the product, a major concern seems to be checking to be certain the arbor on my saw is big enough to accommodate this one. I haven't checked the Freud site yet but will do so before getting too far along.

Any other insights will be appreciated, and thanks again.

Ron

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had a 10" dado set that needed retoothing, had been sharpened too many times.

Cost of doing that, was way more than high tooth count 8" Went with that x many years ago, 8" does just fine. Made multiple zero clearance ply inserts….Augmented it with a matched set of 4 cheap 7 1/4 skill saw blades for the narrower dados, set of plastic shims (argh!!!-PITA)

Warning…. lots/most of the dado sets have a negative rake, so they tend to lift the work. That's just the way they are made. Two passes for accuracy in depth.

8" will do 99.9 percent of what you need at a price you can afford.

Eric in Calgary

·
Registered
740 Posts
If your cutting no more than 3/4" dado's I don't see any reason for anything more than a 6" stack. They are less strain on the motor and cheaper to resharpen.

My personal preference is the 6" Oshlun stack. I had to sharpen my freuds almost 6 months before my last oshlun's.

Paul

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Hi Ron - The Infinity Dadonator is the best set I've used to date….very precise, very clean cutting. The Delta/DeWalt 7670 dado set can be one of the better values on the market right now if you can find it less than $120. It's cleaner cutting than most of the sub-$100 sets, and gives a taste of the higher end sets for close to half the cost….great carrying case and shim stock too. CMT, Amana, Forrest, Freud, Irwin Marples, Ridge Carbide, Systimatic, and Tenryu are a few others I'd at least consider. Sale prices on Oshlun/Avenger sets can be attractive, but regular pricing doesn't give them much advantage over other sets. Your saw should handle any of these with ease. 8" has some performance advantage, but 6" will work well too, and can be cheaper, but not always.

It's hard to find a decent dado set for < $70. I'd avoid the Mibro, Skil, Vermont America, the Avanti set at HD, Oldham, most current Craftsman models, and HF sets.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I use a Tenryu 8". I wish now that I'd gone with the 6". It's a good cutting set but the bat wings are huge. I had them ground off so I get flat bottoms for box joints and other exposed joints.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I have the 8" Freud safety dado set and am very please with the results I've gotten on my Unisaw.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
The Delta/DeWalt 7670 dado set can be one of the better values on the market right now if you can find it less than $120.
+1 for KnotScott's suggestion. I have the Delta version (no longer available) and am very happy with it. Flat bottoms, no bat-ears, etc.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought the Oshlun 8" from Carbide Processors, like it. Lots of teeth, the center blades have 6 teeth, extra spacers and shims for different and bigger than 3/4" grooves, or less than 3/4" for the undersized ply. I got free shipping, and also bought 3 other blades at the same time, the other blades are Tenryu, best blades I have ever used. Got a rip, crosscut, and a ply blade.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Craftsman set that Marv 8 posted about back on Sept 1 is on sale right now for 89.99. From what I understand, this is the exact same set as the Dewalt 7670 with just different paint job. Right down to the case it comes in but $40.00 less. Knottscott recommended against MOST craftsman dado sets though. I'd love to hear his opinion on the CM 8 inch stacked dado

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Craftsman set that Marv 8 posted about back on Sept 1 is on sale right now for 89.99. From what I understand, this is the exact same set as the Dewalt 7670 with just different paint job. Right down to the case it comes in but $40.00 less. Knottscott recommended against MOST craftsman dado sets though. I d love to hear his opinion on the CM 8 inch stacked dado

- ScottKaye
I can't imagine any reason it would not perform the same as the Dewalt/Delta versions but unfortunately there are some out there who may believe that since it says "Craftsman" it can't be as good even though it is the identical item with a different paint job…

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
I'm not particular about what brand name is stamped on something. If the Cman dado is truly the same as the DW/Delta 7670, it doesn't matter if it's says Daewoo Dingleberry Dado set on it….it's a good set, and a good buy at $90 IMHO.

IME the 7670 is clearly the better performer in the $100 range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.