LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

My daughter is getting her first real apartment. Sorry but college apartments don't count.

I am looking to build her a stand alone cabinet/small hutch that will look like a piece of quality furniture but is actually full of tools she should have. I was looking at jewelry armoires and widening them. Or a cabinet with legs that has doors that open up to drawers inside.

I'm looking for something that will have 3 or 4 drawers, maybe a top lifts open, maybe side doors to hold long items like pipe wrenches and plunger, maybe a front like a Gerstner toolbox where the front drops down and goes under the drawers inside???? I'm wide open to suggestions.

But most importantly, it must be classically stylish. My dream is that it becomes a family heirloom that she passes down to one of her kids when. It is time for a future grandchildren to move into their own first place.

Gee, I'm not asking for much, am I?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
I would look at Mike Pekovich's cabinets at Fine Woodworking. His last book detailed several of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about something that looks like a roll top desk (or, more simply, a Shaker secretary desk)? The top part opens up, and where you would normally have the various slots and pigeon holes, those could be sized to store different tool kits (socket set, drill bit set, etc). Have a spot that stores a collapsible tool tote so that can be grabbed and filed with whatever tools are needed for a given project.

Now many tool types (wrench sets, socket sets drill bits) come with their own carrying case, so those should be stored as is in open shelving (in the pigeon holes). Then have removable drawers with lids that hold other tool types, such as screwdriver assortments.

The drawers under it could hold bulkier items (power tools like drills and sanders). And the desk surface itself could be ruggedized to serve as a workbench, while the outside of the furniture piece (with the roll top closed) would be polished to look like regular furniture. Oh, and also have drawers on the left side pedestal but make the right side one a cabinet with fake drawer fronts. With the cabinet opened, have slide out pegboards that hold hanging things (large wrenches, etc).

But leave the toilet plunger in the bathroom, either in its own decorative holder next to the toilet or in the bathroom closet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about something that looks like a roll top desk (or, more simply, a Shaker secretary desk)? The top part opens up, and where you would normally have the various slots and pigeon holes, those could be sized to store different tool kits (socket set, drill bit set, etc). Have a spot that stores a collapsible tool tote so that can be grabbed and filed with whatever tools are needed for a given project.

Now many tool types (wrench sets, socket sets drill bits) come with their own carrying case, so those should be stored as is in open shelving (in the pigeon holes). Then have removable drawers with lids that hold other tool types, such as screwdriver assortments.

The drawers under it could hold bulkier items (power tools like drills and sanders). And the desk surface itself could be ruggedized to serve as a workbench, while the outside of the furniture piece (with the roll top closed) would be polished to look like regular furniture. Oh, and also have drawers on the left side pedestal but make the right side one a cabinet with fake drawer fronts. With the cabinet opened, have slide out pegboards that hold hanging things (large wrenches, etc).

But leave the toilet plunger in the bathroom, either in its own decorative holder next to the toilet or in the bathroom closet.
Never thought of desk!
thatvis a great idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts