LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'll soon be working on a set of sculptures carved from glued up blocks of wood (think Wendell Castle). Projects of this nature are always easier with air-dried wood so I'd like to buy some in 8/4 or thicker boards if possible.

I'm still working out the cutlist so exact quantity is unknown but roughly 30-40 board feet would probably do it.

My local source has 4/4 air-dried stock and the commercial supplier sells kiln-dried in 8/4 so I don't need a source of any of those.

I'm located in the Kankakee, Illinois area and would be willing to drive around 120 miles round trip to pick up if necessary.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've got some cut near North Liberty, IN about 25 years ago, but i'm down to my last 8/4 board-10" wide and about 10' long. Not enough to make it worth the drive. And-it's my last 8/4 of that batch (which means i'll probably never use it since i would be out!!)

earl

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The company in the link posted in the first reply is a little far away and looks like they've got kiln-dried and not the air-dried. Thanks for the information though. Never hurts to know more sources.

@ GreenAcres2

Correct. That wouldn't be enough to complete my project so not worth the trip. Enjoy that last board.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Hope to see your work when its done. I'm a Wendel Castle fan. Good luck on your search. I would think you would have some luck in Indiana or in Southern Illinois where the forests are located?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I might end up just getting the local 4/4. I'm sure there are plenty of sources but I doubt I'll locate them within the next week and the project has to start this coming week.

I can post pictures but I'm not doing the build myself. I enjoy building stuff with more intricate joinery rather than the free-form carving so I'm passing this job over to my business partner. They're his favorite type of work.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out, the local guy actually had 6/4 which I didn't expect. That was thick enough to work with. I may look into some of the other sources at some point in the future.

I don't have pictures on hand at the moment but will remember to get some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.