LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not sure if I'm over thinking this or not…

I'm building a box, the corner joints are mitered corners. What router bit should I use to round the side edges (ie. where the front and side of the box meet)? Obviously a roundover bit but what size do you use to get it perfectly rounded? Or do you just pick a size and use it from both sides? Anything else to watch out for when doing this?

The wood I'm using is planed down to 3/4" thickness.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
51,858 Posts
It just depends on how much of a round over you want. If you want it rounded over the entire edge of the board, I usually use a 3/8 round over bit on 3/4 stock and round it from both sides adjusting it until the round over meets in the middle of the edge of the board. I always test it on a piece of scrap to be sure I have it adjusted correctly. You might even make several passes so it doesnt chip out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Because of the relative abundance of 3/4" materials and the ease of making a mitered corner, make a mock up of the the corners and test your different bits. It's the fastest way to get the answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.