LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I saw a really neat design I want to use for my bedroom remodel that I am working on now. Simply put its a panel that sits flush with the front of the rails and stiles and has a groove about 1/8 thick all the way around it.

I saw it while I was doing some research on MLCS router bits, but now i cant for the life of me remember the search terms that got me to the pictures…I think it is a form of shaker panel maybe like the 15 degree…but I havent been able to find any really good pictures of it.

The picture I saw was of a dark interior panel with light rails and stiles..it was really really elegant looking…

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Here is a mitered door and a cope and stick door similar to what you are saying.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Every company will name the door different. You don't need any specialty bits for these. Simply make the door frame like the one I blogged (shaker door becomes….) and then rabbet the panel all the way around using the dado set on the table saw. You could also bevel the panel edges on the table saw as well. HTH

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can make the panel with a dado cutter. Simply take the groove depth, minus spaceball diameter, of your rail and stile add on the width of the groove you want and just make a cut front and back all the way around. If your tongue is centered as well as the grooves in your rail and stile, you will have a flush front door with an equal groove all the way around. Hope that is helpful.

·
Registered
460 Posts
hmm I thought I posted this…guess not…

I am actully going to make the center panel a little proud of the rails and stiles…I think (at least from my sketchup) that looks better than flush…put a minor roundover on the edge of the panel and I think it will look pretty cool

one thing I was wondering though in my lost post…would 1/16 be too narrow with wood movement? I have 1/8 now…what do you think?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think you can still use the dado and just grind the top bearing off a 1/8" router bit, offset the fence on your router table and you will get that nice roundover you want on the upper face. For peace of mind I would go with 1/8 space.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep…thanks rhett…I was planning on using my dado blade or straight router bit…I cant wait to get started…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.