LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am currently looking for a table top lathe. I have a powermatic 90 for any bigger projects that I get into. (That one is at the inlaws shop and I live 30 min away) so i want something that I can use at my house. I really like the jet 1015vs. I was also looking at novas but I want to hear what you guys have to say about other lathes that I might not be looking into. I am currently turning game calls, wine stoppers etc.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Know Jet 1015 comes in two version $$480 & $580. Both models come with ½ HP. I owned a Jet 1014 non EVS for several years with no trouble and got a good price when sold it.

For few dollars more can buy these models. Rikon goes on sale couple times a year.
Rikon 70-220 VSR

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/861205/rikon-70220vsr-midi-lathe.aspx

Delta 46-460 12 ½" VS midi also very popular

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Industrial-46-460-2-Inch-Variable-Speed/dp/B00309ZZRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428346054&sr=8-1&keywords=Delta+Midi+Lathe

If look at horsepower & size Delta & Rikon little more bang for the bucks to handle now and future turning. For pens & bottle stoppers cannot beat the Jet.

JMHO, would prefer the Delta or Rikon lathes over a NOVA

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
A few years ago when I purchased my mini / midi (not sure where the dividing line is) I did not realize that it came with a # 1MT and the smaller thread on the headstock. Now I have purchased accessories that will not work if I get a large lathe and some accessories I would like only come for the #2 MT.

I assume that the Powermatic 90 will come with a # 2 MT and the larger thread on the headstock. So you may want to make sure that whatever small lathe you purchase will take the same accessories.

·
Registered
706 Posts
When I purchased a mini I looked at the Rikons and Nova. Local clubs have mainly Rikons in the mini's and I like their specs. At full price I would have gone with a Rikon but I came upon a wuttenbut on a Comet2 (<$200) so I went with it. I have not been disappointed. The comet is 3/4 hp but they state continuous, IIFC it is 5.7 amp compared to other 1 HP at 6 amps (the manual states 550 watts which is 3/4). My other lathe is the Nova 1624.
Tools-Plus has the Comet2 with G3 chuck for $480, or if you don't want the chuck you can buy the lathe with no chuck for $485.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.