LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have been advised (by DW) that I need an intercom for my shop.

She is tired of yelling from the house and me "not hearing her" over the roar of machinery or the scraping of hand sanding. Funny thing is that I have no trouble hearing that lunch is ready. :)

Anyone have any ideas or have one in their shop? My shop is about 25 feet from the house so some sort of wireless system would be preferred.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have a very loud bell my sweetheart can ring when I'm running machinery.
But its not wireless.
There are lots of intercoms, bell and flashing lights that can be operated wirelessly, but it ain't cheap.
It would be economical to bury an electrical cable between the two locations. Burial cable isn't that expensive. Then put a bell or bright light on it with a button in the house.

Thats one way.

d

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My "Workshop in the Woods" is just over 100 yards from the house. I purchased several intercoms from Radio Shack that operate thru the household electrical wiring. As long as your house and shop are on the same meter this type of intercom will work. There are wireless intercoms, but the range would be too short.

Cell phones are very iffy in the middle of the Hiawatha National Forest. (In da U.P eh!)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just bought a Panasonic four phone system. It comes with a base unit and 3 wireless satellites that can be placed in any room or garage you choose. It comes with a built in intercom. It works great. All DW has to do is hit the intercom button and hit whichever number key corresponds to the satellite unit in your garage and your phone rings. They work really well. I bought ours because when the wife is in her sewing room she won't answer the home phone which isn't in her room (only her friends call her on our home phone) so when it rings and rings I wind up getting up or coming in the house to answer the phone, the intercom is an added bonus! This fixes the problem, now she has a hand set in her room. The satellites each have a handset charger and they have a really long range. I paid about $100.00 at Best Buy. They also come in a two satillite verson that is a little cheaper

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had the same problem. I resolved it by purchasing a "Motorola Talkabout" 2-way radio system. it comes with rechargeable batteries and a base for recharging. It has a call button that is loud enough to be heard over the power equipment. I picked it up at Canadian Tire on sale for $80.00. Works well; the wife and I like it. I can also use it for other activities/adventures.

Guy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Short of a true calamity needing your specific help, why would any partner need to be heard when you're in the shop?

Like many here, you've apparently not sold your true worth in the shop.

I hope you have not become one of the "the wife" posters.

If anything, the shop intercom should have been your idea.

Best,
Peter

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Our non corded phone consists of a base and two extensions. One is in the shop. All have intercom ability.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I just keep my cell phone with me and the Mrs calls when my attention is required. Unfortunately, there are times when I don't hear that either.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There seems to be lots of options.

From telephone handsets, cell phones and talkabouts . . . to . . . slingshots, megaphones and cutting the power.

I got some googling to do.

I'll let you know what I figure out.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just went and checked our Panasonic 5.8 ghz phones. It has an intercom system that will allow DW to call me in shop from the base. There are three phones so I will be dragging one to the shop.

HOWEVER . . . it will also allow ME to call HER to see when dinner is ready.

I believe she is rethinking her original idea. :-D

LOLOLOLOLOLO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.