LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Leigh dovetail jig

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Magnum 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I found a guy that is selling some tools. I was interested in his 24" Leigh dovetail jig. Any of you LJ's use one, how hard is it to set up and use? Do you like it? Is $200.00 too much? He said he has it on a pedestal but it sort of sounded as if he's including a router table with it. He also said it was like new and had some bits and a router to use with it.

I have to go look tomorrow morning, so any input soon would be appreciated.

#2 ·
$200 for a 24" Leigh dovetail jig is a great deal - especially if he throws in some extras. In my opinion, the Leigh jigs are the absolute best.

Like any other dovetail jig, it takes a little while to learn how to use it. Hopefully, he is including the manual. If not, you will need to get one. I don't think they are hard to get. If you were buying a new Leigh jig you would also get an instructional DVD that is quite helpful. For a price, you may even be able to get that. I don't mean to scare you about the learning curve. It's not that bad. It's just that you won't take it home and wipe up a perfect dovetail without spending a little time learning how to do it.

#4 ·
I am in the middle of cleaning and trying to get reorganized out in the shop so this was going to be put aside for a while but I have been looking on ebay and CL and this came up yesterday. I will go look at it and take some extra cash just in case he has some other goodies.

#5 ·
It,s like any tool.You have to make a comement to learn to use it. This is a great time to build a bunch of boxes for storage in the shop. It is a very easy Jig to learn. Much easier tahn the inca Jig. Two hundred seems to be a fair price. You can download the manual from the web site. The manual is one of best I have ever used.
Good Luck

#6 ·
It did come with the manual and square drive screwdriver and wrench but not much else, I did buy it, a PC router and base, and a PC random orbital sander and about 50 bf of red oak for $300.00.

He has a Unisaw for sale 3 hp 110/220 single phase, with a built in router table on the end including router and table insert. $700. Sacramento, CA area. Jerry at 916-402-7123. Seems like a good deal if anyone is interested.

#7 ·
if you don't get the manual you can buy one from their site leigh.com plus they have down loads for ways of using the jig that arent in the manual what kind of jig is it D4R,1258R,etc? $200 is a good price but always see if you can talk him down.

#8 ·
Cool, now what are you going to build? I heard that the porter cable was good too and easier to set up. I have the cheap Rockler and it works great for doing a lot of dovetails. The trick is to dedicate a router to dovetailing, so I don't have to adjust the bit ever. If I am doing a few, it is easier to do them by hand.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's why I sprung for another router from him too, so I can have one with the straight bit and guide and another with the dt bit and a guide and not have to mess with them, well, until one breaks or needs sharpeniing or whatever. And still have a few plungers for other stuff.

He wouldn't part with his bits though. I need to get a set and a new guide bushing or maybe 2 I think. Where's a good place to get those?

Tom, I am still working on the shop. I got rid of those flipping tool racks and am moving stuff around in the shop and purging alot of junk. Do you need any more? I'll send a big box next time.

#10 ·
I bought a dovetail bit set from MLCS http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ A lot of people like Eagle America, so check them out too. With the leigh jig don't you need special bits?

WOW good to hear you getting rid of those flipping racks.What are you doing with all of that crap? Are you starting there and working yourself around the whole shop? You should attach a picture of your shop so other can be inspired by the before and after. :)

#13 ·
I have the Leigh as well and should post a pic of a box I made for my wife. I took a class on dovetail making and asked the instructor at Woodcraft what his opinion was as to the better dovetail jigs. His comment was they all pretty much do the same thing and to just get good at using one. Sounds as if you got a great deal!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just got it Saturday and haven't had much chance yet to do anything with it. I am not sure if there are special bits you need to get from Leigh, but I don't think so. The guy pointed me in the direction of Woodcraft down the road for bits but I did not have time on Sat. morn. I think he got his there. I will get to it eventually.

In cleaning that corner of the shop, I put all the stuff I want to keep in a rolling drawer thing and the rest in a box(es) for the yard sale(this is mostly junky stuff, nothing valuable, so read on you tool hounds). I will be putting up some planes and stuff for sale, I found I have 4 Bailey #5 's and probably only need one. A few Breast drills (the ultimate cordless) an auger set and brace. Probably some other stuff I have yet to stumble across.

I will make sure you LJ's will have the first opportunity at any of it I advertise on line.

#15 ·
Hi Michael,

Good luck with your D4. I picked one up from a guy on CL, too. It was sitting in his garage and he never got around to using it. He had the manual, 2 Leigh bits, and the guide bushings, but he had lost the wrench and the square tipped screwdriver. It was filthy when I got it so I took it completely apart, cleaned it spotless, and then reassembled it. And I'm glad I did. It wasn't assembled correctly. Check and make sure the edge guides are firmly seated in the channels. They need to be drawn in tight and not sitting cockeyed in there. Also, check the clamping mechanisms as well. I built a open faced box to mount it to like the one they show in the manual. It sits up about 8" above my workbench. A perfect height for me. If you need assistance with it the people at Leigh support are fantastic.

#16 ·
This one has the box you describe. Jerry said he built it and it holds the boards in the right plane. I was going to start looking for bits today. I forgot my manual at home, are ther specisl bits for use with the leigh jig? What would be a good set to buy to start with? The ones he had were 3/8 shank but do the cutters have to be a certain length or width at the bottom or anything like that?

#18 ·
Hi Michael,

The 2 dovetail bits that came with my D4 are labeled Leigh #140 and Leigh #80. I believe there's also a couple of Leigh straight bits for making box joints but I have yet to purchase them.

#20 ·
The MCLS 11 pc. Leigh set is on it's way. I think I have the right size bushing for it but should read the manual some more to make sure I get the right one. Then at least one PC 690 sub base maybe two, I am not sure what shape mine are in and the router I bought from the guy came with a plexi sub base without the guide bushing rabbetted hole.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
SCREAM!!! I just typed a whole BIG thing about Leigh Jigs then blew it all away when I was testing the Link to Leigh! That Worked! MOMMY!!!!

SO! This is the Condensed Version. Michael, you got a Hell of a Deal! Good stuff!

Leighs Site is a HUGE wealth of Information and Instructions on EVERY kind of Dovetail/Mortise and Tenon Joint you can think of. You can dowload most/all of it via PDF or Video. There is also a Gallery of Finished Projects showing the full range of ALL Joinery.

You can also send for a FREE 95 Minute Demonstration DVD (2009). I have it, LOTS of info.

Worth having a "Look See" Guys & Gals just from a "More Knowledge" point of view.

Ya'll Enjoy Now: Rick ….......... Well! Here I go again!!!! Link Here

I'M BACK! Seems to have worked! "I never stop continuing to amaze myself." ;-}

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.