LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
I disagree

lumen output is really for the birds, what you really want is PAR, if you can fins PAR measurements that tells more of a story

PAR is what they use in salt water aquariums to make sure the coral has the needed light at the depth it is at, and is much more accurate for messing the light option at different distances.

as you more away form the light the light spread and reduces PAR but lumen measurement can still stay high directly under the light source.

· Registered
19 Posts
That says PAR is a measure of light available to be used by plants. Since we presumably aren t growing plants in our shops, lumens or footcandles is probably a better measurement to use.

- soob
plants use red, green, and blue area of the spectrum , mostly the red (depends on plant and time of year/sate of growth ect.)

with that in mind
Current understanding is that the 6 to 7 million cones can be divided into "red" cones (64%), "green" cones (32%), and "blue" cones (2%)

64% of your sight is read light, 32% only 2% blue, thus why to much blue cause eye strain and such

since all colors we see are measured from the red/green/blue measuring the yellow does not really help us

since PAR meter cost $300 it is not really something I can experament with right now, but well balance light from aquirmus are bright and everyone says they look good.

LOL

just something to think about really

· Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for this thread OP, this was the exact thing going on in my mind these days.

I will be looking into the HD commercial LED light turbov6camaro mentioned in his post. 2 of them (plus existing 2 fluorescent) should be suffice for my 400 sq ft garage.

- vskgaming
i have one over my Table saw and outfeed and it cover that entire are very well, its 8×7 but i would think 2-3 in your area should work, you may need 3 or 4 for shadow elimination though

don't matter if you 500000000000000000000 lumen if it's shadowed it still sucks lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.