LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
4,221 Posts
Thanks for the update TheLastDeadMouse. I will be interested to see your pictures.

I m not lobbying anyone to convert to LED strip lights, but I think they are a very good option nonetheless. The advantages that I see are:
1) Very disperse light, eliminating shadows
2) Low power consumption. In my case, the 50M strip equates to 15,000 lumens or roughly 10×100W incandescent bulbs. The reported wattage for the strip is 4.8W/M or 240W total.
3) Relatively inexpensive. I calculate roughly $1 for 200 lumens. You don t need to buy or install any fixtures. Nor replace any bulbs.

Additional benefits to me are that due to my very low ceilings. I gained some headspace. And, I no longer have to worry about breaking lights by accidentally hitting them with a piece of wood or tool.

- isotope
hope this works out good for you. One challenge with the rope lights and many of the 'decorative' LED options is that their light depreciation is high. Generally from the epoxy/silicones the chips are set in. Since these are blue lights with some phosphor to convert that blue to white, while the LED has long life, the electronics and plastics aren't that good on some of these.

Check the CRI (Color Rendering Index) there are "grades" of everything. In california to qualify for utility rebates CEC proposes minimum of 90 CRI

LED is definitely a get what you pay for game right now… so many of the budget options are likely to disappoint in the longer term.

T8 Fluorescent bulbs run ~2 bucks for 3000 lumens, and have 85 CRI

T12 is expensive and much lower light (with current Dept of Energy bans on the brighter versions)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.