LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
People say tack shops for horse riding supplies and such are a good place, but the only one near me didn't have any scraps large enough for a mallet. Tandy online is supposedly decent, but a little hard to figure out what to get.
I ended up picking up some scraps from a garage sale but I'm running out of the thicker stuff. I should have bought the whole box when I had the chance.

Contact cement works really well to glue leather.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought the leather I used for my own hammer at Michael s craft store. I tripled it up to get the thickness I needed. Used gorilla glue to attach it.

- Kaleb the Swede
I frequent Michaels for small items as well and just to add to your point, make sure you search for coupons before you buy there. Michaels has a tendency to over charge for their regular priced items, but +/- 50% off coupons frequently come out. As an example, my local Michaels sells small cans of Varathane stain for just under $20 a can…...

Some fabric stores may also sell a bit of leather.

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
Depending on how big the mallet heads are, look for wide leather belts at goodwill. I remember years ago finding a white leather belt that was almost 3" wide. I used it to make a wide neck-strap for a saxophone. Only cost me a buck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Depending on how big the mallet heads are, look for wide leather belts at goodwill. I remember years ago finding a white leather belt that was almost 3" wide. I used it to make a wide neck-strap for a saxophone. Only cost me a buck.

- JoeinGa
Of course….. Sometimes its so easy to over look the most simplest of options. You might even be able to get an entire leather jacket at a Goodwill for the price of a small strip anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Horse hide is the best in my opinion, and it is usually a good 5/32" to 3/16" thick. Tandy Leather is the original go to source, but Springfield Leather has a far better selection and they do business all over the nation through mail order, http://springfieldleather.com/ .

·
Banned
972 Posts
I get my leather from a shoe repair shop, I buy leather shoe soles, it is about 3/16" thick and hard, I have dented soft wood when I have hit it a bit off of "flat".

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Tim, Springfield Leather usually has a scrap bin, so you might call and talk to them to see about that or if they might sell less. I bought a couple square feet some 15 years ago and still have a little, having used it for mallet faces, stropping leather and as a liner for the wood jaws on the machine vise I use for gunsmithing, among other things-great stuff! As for tack shops, you never know unless you ask (despite your clever pun)-they may be glad to sell some scrap they were just going to throw away. Good luck, John.

P.S. Springfield Leather also sells a professional, shoe grade, rubber leather cement that can't be beat, I've used it without any complaints or failures-even used it to re-cement the soles on a pair of shoes that came loose after being "re-crafted" by Allen Edmonds last summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.