LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The last time I was at the Gamble House, there was an annoying art history student asking the docent all kinds of annoying artsy-fartsy questions about Art Nouveau being the antecedent of Greene & Greene.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
maybe oversimplified as he says, but rick3ddd hit it right on the nail.

as far as G&G, it looks to me like their style is more closely fitted with art deco - the cloud motifs, cutouts, etc all have a much more "rectangular" quality than the whiplash curves of art nouveau.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here is a source for some examples of Art Nouveau furniture to go along with Icemizer's Art Deco link.

I often find it instructive to compare design styles as they are expressed in a highly defined item, since there is less variation in form due to the restricted program requirements. Below are two versions of a tea service one in the Art Nouveau style and one in the Art Deco style.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.