LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Cool looking old lathe, but looks like it would take a lot of work to get it functional.. and I think $150 is a bit steep for a non-working lathe that is being sold as a 'display piece'. Most likely has babbit bearings, so those would need to be checked out and re-poured if bad (not fun!), and you will need to work out some way to power it via a countershaft/motor and belt. You might be able to find an old countershaft from a south bend/atlas lathe or similar and adapt it to work along with a serpentine belt. Lot of work.. but would be a heck of a show piece if done properly. Can't make out the name cast into the bed.. do you know the manufacturer? If so, you can probably get a lot of helpful tips/opinions over at the OWWM or Vintagemachinery sites.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I am sorry but I agree with Brad , this is not worth the effort even if you got it for free,It has gone way too long past it's sell by date.It would cost more to bring it up to speed that it would be worth IMHO You would be much better to concentrate on something more up to date imho, after all like the doctor told my sister when she asked for a face lift.It is technically do-able but the scaffolding would make it to expensive,LOL Alistair

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the guy and he has it someplace else and doesn't remember the name stamp or what ever it is in the front. It doesn't have the motor or the stand. I think it is probably worth $50 as an iron scrap. He said it is about 6' long. I think i'll pass on it. Kaleb, not sure if it is all that big. Probably can fell tree with it by leaning it against it.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
If you are looking for a lathe to do serious turning, I don't feel this is the one. It would take quite some work to get it up and running. I can tell it has either bronze or babbit bearings; can't tell what type of spindle it has (for a chuck). It is definitely for an overhead drive. That could cost you upwards of $200 + a motor. I would regard it as a display piece only, suitable for a museum.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If I had room for it I think it would be worth the effort. At the least, it is a good solid lathe bed , the rest can be updated. If the cast iron bed is cracked, walk away. It's a spindle lathe with a dead center tailstock. It appears to be in the bed of a pickup truck, I'd guess 48" between centers.

Definitely not plug and play, I think the market for that is small, that's good news for a buyer. You might get it for $75.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a very similar old lathe. I don't do much turning except for chisel handles, occasional legs, and other odds and ends but the lathe works well. It's super heavy and the actions are all really smooth and solid. The bearings were in good condition when i bought it.

The guy I got mine off of rigged up a 1/2hp motor hanging off the back - the motor swivels and slides along a long bolt that's mounted on a plate that sits between the legs and the bed. Not difficult to do. You might have difficulty upgrading spindles because of weird sizing, but I never got that far. Regular v-belt works fine. Price might be a little steep though I got mine with cool cast iron legs (maybe the best part) for something like that price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.