LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Lathe chuck

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TheDane 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a delta midi lathe and am looking at getting a lathe chuck for it. What are the thoughts on the easy wood chuck or nova? Any others chucks I should look at? thanks.

#2 ·
I have two Nova G3's (the ones Nova branded for Delta) ... they are excellent and I would recommend them highly.

The ones I have come with 1"x 8 tpi threads instead of an insert. I know of other turners who have Nova G3's that require an insert … if you are thinking about a bigger lathe it might be a good idea to go that way.

There are adapters to use the 1"x 8 tpi chucks on lathes with 1 1/4"x 8 tpi spindles (and maybe 33mm), but I would think an insert would be better.

#3 ·
I assume the Easywood is the quick jaw change $350 to 400? You do not say which Nova but their quick change is the Infinity at around $250. (prices at Amazon). I have used neither of those but can see the advantage of making them your first chuck.
I have seven Novas (4 G3s, and 3 SN/SN2). Nova also has a mini chuck and the titan but I would stay away from those as one is too small and one is too large.

After going around my elbow for my answer I would suggest the G3 as TheDane did for your lathe. It has the capacity for anything you lathe can handle but you can use the SN2 also. I also second going with the insert type. Tools-plus or a Canadian seller on the bay have them for about $135-140 with insert and shipping.

If you do want the quick change style I would consider the Nova just based on price and the fact I have never had a problem with any of mine.

#4 ·
I'm currently in the market for a new lathe and this time I'm definitely getting a chuck to go on it! That Nova Infinity looks pretty interesting to me. I'm trying to find someone close enough to me that has one so I can see it in person before I decide.

#7 ·
I'm in the same boat… closest wood turning club to me is about an hour away and consists of basically two guys and a couple friends who like to watch :)

I would love to get a chuck, but have problems spending 4 times (or more) than what I paid for the lathe for one! So far, I've been able to do pretty much everything I've wanted to do with a little creativity - homemade faceplates, jam chucks, etc… one of these days I'll run across one on CL.

Cheers,
Brad

#8 ·
Nova web site recommends the Percision Midi chuck for lathes with 12" swing or less. If look at chuck specs, makes sense for both mini & midi lathes due to swing & distance between centers. Only drawback turners don't like tommy bar chucks.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=chuck-fourjaw-nova-midi

The G-3 slightly larger and single key more popular with turners, and Nova recommends it for larger lathes.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=chuck-fourjaw-nova-ng3

Had a tommy bar chuck for my Jet mini and like it better than my Talon on that lathe. Having said that would buy the G3 like Gerry recommends! From what have seen can buy that chuck with 1" x 8 TPI insert and not pay extra! With the money you save put it toward a bed extension!

I turned for many years without a chuck, and still start a lot of my turnings between centers without one. I still use faceplates and bought extra when first started out. Cannot believe the prices for faceplates today!

#9 ·
I have a Grizzly 3-3/4" and we have two or three Barracuda sets at ShowMe Woodturners. I'm in the market for a couple more jaw sets for mine. The Barracudas come with extra jaw sets. I know a few of the members have Novas.
Dan Coleman

#11 ·
With respect to Nova chucks, there are two things I think are worth considering:

1) Nova jaws are all interchangeable. Jaws for the G3 fit the SuperNova, etc.

2) Nova offers a retro kit so you can convert the mounting system of all existing conventional Nova jaw sets to be compatible with the Infinity Jaw Slides.

In my case, I have two G3's and five sets of jaws. I will soon order an Infinity and will be able to use all of the jaw sets I already have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.