LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making carving samples and the frame.

Finally back with the next steps in this project. Chip carving relies heavily on shadows so when designing the frame profile I had to make sure that the angle of the frame wasn't to much or to little other wise the carvings won't show up under the lighting of the picture. Making the frame was a trial and err process for me. The first picture shows how I was able to get both pieces that make up the frame with one angled cut and by flipping the small piece over.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also made several samples of ideas I had for some of the elements in the carving.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I had my designs decided I the made a sample corner of the frame for the customer to approve. The frame is made of basswood. I am going to have a good friend of mine how is a decorative painter do the glazing finishing on this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's all for now and the next time I should have some pictures of the carving process.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Finally back with the next steps in this project. Chip carving relies heavily on shadows so when designing the frame profile I had to make sure that the angle of the frame wasn't to much or to little other wise the carvings won't show up under the lighting of the picture. Making the frame was a trial and err process for me. The first picture shows how I was able to get both pieces that make up the frame with one angled cut and by flipping the small piece over.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also made several samples of ideas I had for some of the elements in the carving.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I had my designs decided I the made a sample corner of the frame for the customer to approve. The frame is made of basswood. I am going to have a good friend of mine how is a decorative painter do the glazing finishing on this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's all for now and the next time I should have some pictures of the carving process.
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the post on carving. I enjoy making frames but would not dream of trying to carve elements like this into them. Having the ability to carve is a gift. But as a non-carver I enjoy seeing this talent expressed by those who have these skills.

From what I can see you have created a unique frame.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hello Roger, Very Nice way to make some very cool wood Frames. I haven't made any frames myself yet, but the wifes been after me to make some. I especially like how you've made them and have given them that extra special touch with the Carving. Keep up the great work…..your brother in woodworking John

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Roger a great looking frame. A nice job.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Great looking frame. Man, I wish I could carve.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hi Roger excellent work as usual, I appreciate the story of how you progress the design through to the finished frame.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's a dandy, Roger. But, we expect that from you!!!LOL

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you for showing the options .. I like watching how people "think through" the process!
great job

·
Registered
702 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Great frame, Roger. I want to thank you for the angle cutting method for getting a deeper frame. So simple I never would have thought of it. It opens all kind of options for me.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hi Roger;

Wow! Very creative.

Obviously you have some very sharp chisels to get clean cuts like that.

Is that tulip poplar?

Great job!

Lee

·
Registered
214 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for posting, like the thought process for design and great frame. Look forward to the carving lesson.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you everyone! It sure makes me feel good that what I offer with the carving is accepted here on LJ, all though with chip carving I do have to make what I carve on.

Lee, the wood is basswood and I use only one knife to carve all of these elements on the frame. I only use a knife on soft woods but on hard woods I will use chisels to make the initial cuts then I will go back over all the cuts with a knife to give them the machined look. It's a lot of work but the end result is perfection or at least I like to think so. LOL!

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Roger!

As usual you came through with another beautiful creation.

It looks like the Basswood took the stain real well. I've had problems blotching when I stain it.

I like the design of the frame, it looks great.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carving completed

This weekend I managed to finish the chip carving on the frame. I dry fitted the frame to make sure the corners carvings would all line up together.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As you can see I carved the frame unassembled because of its overall size.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The carving time on ths was 7 hours total.

Photobucket

The edge designs 1 1/2 hrs. , Sleds 1 1/2 hrs. , Dates & diamonds 1 1/2 hrs. , Rope 2 1/2 hrs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The pieces have been sent on to my friend and next week I'll put the frame together.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Carving completed

This weekend I managed to finish the chip carving on the frame. I dry fitted the frame to make sure the corners carvings would all line up together.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The edge designs 1 1/2 hrs. , Sleds 1 1/2 hrs. , Dates & diamonds 1 1/2 hrs. , Rope 2 1/2 hrs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The pieces have been sent on to my friend and next week I'll put the frame together.
That's sure going to be a fabulous looking frame.

It looks great, even without the final finish.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Carving completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

VERY VERY NICE GREAT WORK. Please post pix when assembled?

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Carving completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't realize how BIG the frame was!
I enjoyed the "in action" photo.

Gorgeous as always.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Carving completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Beautiful work Roger!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Carving completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I like it, Roger. It reminds me of the best of the "Scrim" work done by sailors of yesteryear. Good work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Carving completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Great job. This reminds me, I used to do a lot of chip carving, need to sharpen the knife and get back in the swing. Your detail work will serve as an inspiration, as well as a really high level of craftsmanship to reach! Thanks for the progress photos too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.